Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: 4-Week August Family Trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> 4-Week August Family Trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Comments on certain parts of your trip:

Day 1-4 – Drive to Grand Canyon
Day 5-6 – Grand Canyon NP (2 full days, Trailer Village Booked)
Day 7 – Drive to Lake Powell
Day 8-9 – Lake Powell (2.5 full days, Wahweap Booked))
Have you booked a houseboat? Even so, it will be very hot. Those I know who frequent Lake Powell just won't go there in the summer.
Day 10 – Drive to Zion
Day 11-12 – Zion NP (2.5 full days)
Try to get a spot at Watchman CG in the park. Right by the Virgin "River". Kids can play in the water, build dams, etc., while you sit under the huge Cottonwood trees and cool off. Make sure you hike up the Narrows. You might have to carry the youngest on your shoulders in the deepest part, but in August, the water will be low and the temperatures comfortable.
Day 13 – Drive to Bryce
Day 14-15 – Bryce Canyon NP (2.5 full days, Ruby's Booked)
Day 16 – Drive to Moab
Day 17-19 – Arches/CanyonLands/Mesa Verde NP (3.5 full days)
You really can't do Mesa Verde from Moab. It's just too far. Again, Moab is excruciatingly hot in August. We live three hours away and wouldn't go there that time of year. Might I suggest going to Durango instead. Mesa Verde will easily take up a day. Take another day and take the Durango - Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. Might be the highlight of the trip for your kids.
Day 20 – Drive to Glenwood Springs
Of the two pools, we think the old Hot Springs Pool is more fun for kids than Iron Mountain, which I would recommend for a romantic retreat.
Day 21 – Drive to Estes, CO
Day 22-23 – Rocky Mountain NP (2 full days)
Day 24 - Drive to Colorado Springs
If you take the above advice and go to the Grand Lake side, might I suggest heading to Salida instead of Colorado Springs. More to do, more to see, and MUCH less traffic to deal with. Great rafting, ghost towns, fishing, mountain biking, hiking, etc. etc.). It will also be cooler than Colorado Springs. It one of the places in CO we like to take guests when they come visit.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of your children are too young to enjoy this trip or remember it. I'm not saying to not do it...just an opinion.

The biggest problem I see with your trip is it's going to be hot hot hot. I would spend more time in CO. I am not a fan of the south rim with its eight lanes of traffic going into the park, especially in August. The north rim will be cooler as it's 1000 feet higher and there's only one lane of traffic into the NP. I would change your route to Colorado Springs or Salida, Mesa Verde, Durango/railroad, Page/Antelope Canyon, and then the north rim...decreasing the time in Page.

From Bryce I take 22 north and do the southern part of 12 as a day trip Including Kodachrome from Bryce.

I would take the kids to the springs in Glenwood. X3 or is it X4 on Grand Lake instead of Estes Park.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This looks to be one big yawn for that age group. Have you considered asking them if they might like to make that trip? Seniors like mountain scenery with snow and big holes in the ground but teens?
I'd rewrite the trip and spend a week, or at least several days, at Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world. You might also consider visiting many of the amateur baseball parks in your area. Lot's less driving and fun for all. Also any other theme parks within a day's drive. Do they have bikes? There is always the Erie Canal bike trail with a boat ride on the canal.
And ask the kids what they would like to do

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ohhell10339

Missoula

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

This looks to be one big yawn for that age group. Have you considered asking them if they might like to make that trip? Seniors like mountain scenery with snow and big holes in the ground but teens?
I'd rewrite the trip and spend a week, or at least several days, at Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world. You might also consider visiting many of the amateur baseball parks in your area. Lot's less driving and fun for all. Also any other theme parks within a day's drive. Do they have bikes? There is always the Erie Canal bike trail with a boat ride on the canal.
And ask the kids what they would like to do

There's no lack of kid-positive things to do in the area they're going to, though. The trick is to get them active so they're less fidgety when the long car rides come. The older ones might be very interested in the geology of the area, and everybody will like short hikes. Bryce in particular lends itself to that. Also, depending on what kind of water year it turns out to be, there may be river rafting opportunities. That's a GREAT way for a family to spend what might be an otherwise hot and uncomfortable day.

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

Comments on certain parts of your trip:

Day 1-4 – Drive to Grand Canyon
Day 5-6 – Grand Canyon NP (2 full days, Trailer Village Booked)
Day 7 – Drive to Lake Powell
Day 8-9 – Lake Powell (2.5 full days, Wahweap Booked))
Have you booked a houseboat? Even so, it will be very hot. Those I know who frequent Lake Powell just won't go there in the summer.

Lake Powell - Let me Chime in with a BIG agreement - HOT - need to be IN the Water if you go, with A/C. - Let's think about skipping this and adding to Colorado - San Juan's later in the trip.

Day 10 – Drive to Zion
Day 11-12 – Zion NP (2.5 full days)
Try to get a spot at Watchman CG in the park. Right by the Virgin "River". Kids can play in the water, build dams, etc., while you sit under the huge Cottonwood trees and cool off. Make sure you hike up the Narrows. You might have to carry the youngest on your shoulders in the deepest part, but in August, the water will be low and the temperatures comfortable.

[emoticon]

Day 13 – Drive to Bryce
Day 14-15 – Bryce Canyon NP (2.5 full days, Ruby's Booked)
Day 16 – Drive to Moab

Day 17-19 – Arches/CanyonLands/Mesa Verde NP (3.5 full days)
You really can't do Mesa Verde from Moab. It's just too far. Again, Moab is excruciatingly hot in August. We live three hours away and wouldn't go there that time of year. Might I suggest going to Durango instead. Mesa Verde will easily take up a day. Take another day and take the Durango - Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. Might be the highlight of the trip for your kids.

Let me Chime in with a BIG agreement - HOT in MOAB - Only time to be Outside will be in the EARLY morning and Just before Sunset - You could possible drive through later in the trip drive through after Durango Mesa Verde and the San Juan's - this is the adding to/more of Colorado - San Juan's later in the trip. In all of Colorado this is where you will want to return.................NOT BS the TRUTH

Day 20 – Drive to Glenwood Springs
Of the two pools, we think the old Hot Springs Pool is more fun for kids than Iron Mountain, which I would recommend for a romantic retreat.

4runnerguy lives Here - he is the resident EXPERT on Colorado Listen to what he says.

Day 21 – Drive to Estes, CO
Day 22-23 – Rocky Mountain NP (2 full days)
Day 24 - Drive to Colorado Springs
If you take the above advice and go to the Grand Lake side, might I suggest heading to Salida instead of Colorado Springs. More to do, more to see, and MUCH less traffic to deal with. Great rafting, ghost towns, fishing, mountain biking, hiking, etc. etc.). It will also be cooler than Colorado Springs. It one of the places in CO we like to take guests when they come visit.

I have advised more people than I can count on following this ^^^^^ADVIcE^^^^^ - the two BEST - MOST FUN - MOST BEAUTIFUL SPOTS IN COLORADO are the Collegiates and the San Juan's PERIOD - see them NOW before they are Over Run.

Don't be discouraged - you've really done well from the first try on this Epic Trip out WEST.

Do a little more research - reach out to Ken in a PM - maybe you two can talk on the phone - to come this far and miss the Best of what I'd consider the Best States to visit in the US is just frustrating - SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much to see, and NO ONE better to help you explore it than Ken.

Tweek this just a little more and it will be Perfect.

JMHO,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

Roadpilot

NH Seacoast

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three years ago we took 2 grandkids 6 and 8 for 30 days from NH to:

Shipshewana
Colorado Springs
RMNP
Moab
Bryce/Zion/Capitol Reef
Williams (train to grand canyon)
Dandridge, TN

This past summer we took 4 grandkids from NH for 30 days (4,7,9 and 11) to:

Black Hills
Yellowstone
Grand Tdetons
Moab
Durango

Both trips were from the middle of July to the middle of August. The kids loved Page (went to the north rim from there). The 4 grandkids was a little long for grandma and grandpa but not for the grandkids.

We did this in a 45' MH and had reservations for all the major stops. I would not do it without reservations at must stops. On the way out and back it was Walmarts or CG's. Coming from NH, I'd plan on 500-600 mile days going and coming. That's easy highway driving.

Millennium Prevost 2018
2013 Chevy Avalanche Black Diamond
2013 Chevy Tahoe
HD 2015 Ultra Limited Low (Mine)
HD 2016 Triglide (DW)
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift and 24' Stacker

OutdoorPhotographer

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We made similar trips in miles and sites when kids were 5 and 8, again 7 and 10, and then finally 12 and 15 years old. Your kids will find fun what they do from a young age. They still love to camp at 15 and 18. Both girls.

As far throw away the plan, it's not feasible using vacation but you should build flexibility. We booked national parks and then winged it on zig zags to see states. We did no more than 2 days hard drive without a stop. Preferred full day drive then half day drive and half site see during transit.

I would not add Rushmore. Biggest disappointment for us and we've been to 48 states.

Given your ambitious schedule, Arches one day and Canyon Lands a second day. Use the other day and a half to see someone on the way and break up the four day drive to the Grand Canyon. You will need that. I don't think you can get to GCNP in four days anyway and I've driven most of that route many times, though only Louisiana to AZ frequently as one trip.

Be willing to flex. A blow out cost us a day at Yellowstone. We couldn't tack on a night camping because of availability but we did stay half a day past our planned departure and flexed later in that trip. Bailed on Rushmore after an hour. If we had planned hikes, maybe it would be different but as part of a larger trip it wasn't worth it. Those aren't on your agenda but you will find places where you need to flex. Know that in advance.

And have fun!

2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Hardly a yawner for kids. There are many roller coasters in this country, but only one Zion Canyon. When I travel to these places, I watch and get real enjoyment from seeing kids having a whale of a good time in these NP's. So when I write a response to a family here on RV.net, my first thought is always to make sure the kids have fun.

I've seen many a kid spend hours either playing in the Virgin River or hiking the Narrows at Zion. How about a raft trip down the Arkansas River in Salida or the Animas River in Durango? Or take a day and go to Telluride and rent some inner tubes to float the San Miguel right through town. They'll have a great time and your jaw will be on the ground looking at the amazing scenery. Afterwards, continue your drive to Ouray and sit in the Hot Springs Pool. Amazing views and great water slides for the kids. Just underwent a major remodel last year. A few years ago, we watched a bear on the hill across the street while we were soaking in the pool. Check out Mill Creek near Moab. Take your towels and swimming suits. Maybe a 30 minute hike in to swim in the creek as it flows through the red rocks.

Maybe they don't spend time staring at the mountains, but riding behind a steam locomotive above steep canyons and exploring a real old west town with dirt streets and wooden sidewalks is a unique and incredibly fun time for kids. Explore the ruins in Mesa Verde and imagine what it must have been like to live there as a kid. (They won't even know they are getting an education!) I still have the old black and white photos from when we went there when I was around 8 years old. Even as teenagers, our nieces got a kick out of climbing all over the rocks and arches in Arches NP.

Kids get plenty of opportunities to be entertained by man-made artificial attractions. But those don't hold a candle to the fun to be had in the great outdoors.

Some of the landscapes in southern Utah just seem so alien. Likewise, the mountains of Colorado are unlike anything they've seen in the east. No doubt they'll remember this trip for years.

Lwiddis

Plaskett Creek USFS - CA Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Coming from NH, I'd plan on 500-600 mile days going and coming. That's easy highway driving“

You must be kidding!

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

Dick_B wrote:

Hardly a yawner for kids. There are many roller coasters in this country, but only one Zion Canyon. When I travel to these places, I watch and get real enjoyment from seeing kids having a whale of a good time in these NP's. So when I write a response to a family here on RV.net, my first thought is always to make sure the kids have fun.

I've seen many a kid spend hours either playing in the Virgin River or hiking the Narrows at Zion. How about a raft trip down the Arkansas River in Salida or the Animas River in Durango? Or take a day and go to Telluride and rent some inner tubes to float the San Miguel right through town. They'll have a great time and your jaw will be on the ground looking at the amazing scenery. Afterwards, continue your drive to Ouray and sit in the Hot Springs Pool. Amazing views and great water slides for the kids. Just underwent a major remodel last year. A few years ago, we watched a bear on the hill across the street while we were soaking in the pool. Check out Mill Creek near Moab. Take your towels and swimming suits. Maybe a 30 minute hike in to swim in the creek as it flows through the red rocks.

Maybe they don't spend time staring at the mountains, but riding behind a steam locomotive above steep canyons and exploring a real old west town with dirt streets and wooden sidewalks is a unique and incredibly fun time for kids. Explore the ruins in Mesa Verde and imagine what it must have been like to live there as a kid. (They won't even know they are getting an education!) I still have the old black and white photos from when we went there when I was around 8 years old. Even as teenagers, our nieces got a kick out of climbing all over the rocks and arches in Arches NP.

Kids get plenty of opportunities to be entertained by man-made artificial attractions. But those don't hold a candle to the fun to be had in the great outdoors.

Some of the landscapes in southern Utah just seem so alien. Likewise, the mountains of Colorado are unlike anything they've seen in the east. No doubt they'll remember this trip for years.

They if they have a pulse - they will remember it for Life. My Kids, still tell their Kids about the trips they took 20 + and 30 + Years ago. (39&41) Have never heard a story about an Amusement Park even Disney World, but they sure loved those trips to the Mountains - Snow Covered or Not those memories have Never Faded.

One lives in Colorado and His Girls are good for days Hiking but only 3-4 hours in the Museums in DC - they want Real World live action not Man Made and Commercial. And get them in the Water........you will have to Pull the Out.

Sorry Ken is Dead on................

This will be a great Trip.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> 4-Week August Family Trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS