Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: CB & Handheld Radios
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> CB & Handheld Radios

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traffic jam? I just use Waze or Twitter. They'll have the info just as fast as any truckers.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Traffic jam? I just use Waze or Twitter. They'll have the info just as fast as any truckers.

when approaching a large city and I want to know whether to take the North or the South bypass or go straight thru I contact an oncoming trucker and ask. no wazetwitter for me.

And how many years ago did the fella hear all of this cussing,etc.?
I have heard very little on I-95 the last few years.
and if you do use a magnetic mount, do NOT slide it to get it off.
bumpy

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took mine off in 2000 and so far haven't missed it. On my 99 truck I took it into the garage and told them the truck had a noise I could not identify. turns out it was my magnet antenna on the roof. so I took it off and the radio out and like I said I don't miss it

jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

I've had at least two incidents where I learned of accidents in front of me on the highway *as they happened* via CB. Waze/Twitter aren't that fast. For one of them I had time to exit and was able to avoid the jam on the access road. It was just out of sight - maybe a mile and a half from where I heard it. The other one was maybe a quarter mile up the road, without room or a place to exit. Incidentally, for people on here asking about cursing on the air, one of those was the few times I've heard it. A trucker said, "Oh SH**, look at that idiot!" as some guy illegally passing ran off the road and into the guard rail to avoid oncoming traffic. Similarly, I've heard more or less the same profanity a couple times in complaint of traffic being stopped. I've never heard anything you wouldn't hear on cable TV, on the air, and think it's blown out of proportion. Arguably, I think limiting children's exposure to profanity is a lost and pointless cause most of the time anyway.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting to use Waze for navigation while towing or driving a large rig, but that's the absolutely last app I'd ever use. It likes to choose some really poor routes for taking a large trailer through.

* This post was edited 01/09/18 04:52pm by jshupe *

2015.5 Chevy 2500HD D/A CCSB LTZ Z71 4x4 | 2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB
Mods, mods, and more mods.
Random musings and build blog: https://www.lifeenroute.com/our-rig
Amateur Radio: N0ARP

BC4277

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for everyone's input.
Bryan

2017 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer Hitch
2003 Tundra 4.7

Where ever I am,
is where I'm supposed to be

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BC4277 wrote:

Do any of you use (or just listen to) a CB radio when travelling? If so, what kind do you use? I'm thinking of using a magnetic antennae to mount on the roof of my pickup. Any suggestions on brands and features I should be looking for?

Does your spotter use a handheld when you are backing up? Again, what kind works?

Thanks, Bryan

1. yes, i use when traveling and backing 5th wheel into RV sites and in my yard at home
2. Cobra
3. Buy a magnetic Wilson antenna, the taller the better. Don't buy one of those little cute short antennas or your range will be limited for clear cb contacts.
4 .Cobra or Uniden are about the same quality. Make sure they have the National Weather Service feature that will automatically alert you to a pending disaster, even when the CB is not turned on.
5. Yes , I bought a hand held Cobra CB. we turn both CB's to channel 16 or any channel that does not have a lot of traffic going on.
6. Channel 17 and 19 are used primarily by truckers who can give you current road conditions, detours or accidents in your area.
7. And last but real important, ask the truckers " Break break on 17, what did you leave behind you?" Translated " where are the Bears or Calif. Hwy. partrol cars? the truckers will also give the milage marker where they last saw a Bear.

* This post was edited 01/09/18 07:14pm by MarkTwain *

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With regard to cussing on the CB radios, In 35 years, I had heard worse language on any High School Campus, breaker breaker!!!

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used CB from time to but as pointed out it is mostly dead these days. Handy when there is trouble, annoying when some good old boy starts preaching about anything.

I finally mounted my ham rig in the car. I use it to monitor CB channel 19.

Backing up into the campsite is simple. My wife knows to stand where she can see me in the mirror. Also, I am not afraid to get out and look.

I have an iron clad guaranty; I can park it within the first 12 or 15 tries. It has worked every time. [emoticon]

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to use handheld radios for backing. But it is easier to just use our phones. You can put your phone on speaker, set it on the dash, and listen and talk without any thing in your hands. Or Bluetooth your phone thru your radio if you have that feature. And no worry about keying over each other.

Haven’t had a CB in many years.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CB?

[image]

That critter has been dead since the 1970s and should have been buried a long time ago..

Last vehicle I had one in was a 1997 and in 2003 pulled it out when I bought a new vehicle..

Never bothered putting back in because I only turned it on only a couple of times in the 97 and each time greeted with bleed over from too many folks with linears and potty mouths..

If you have one, do yourself a favor, toss in the trash and don;t look back.

If you don't have one, don't waste your money, you won't get much of any info since most truckers use business band radios and cellphones now days..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> CB & Handheld Radios
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS