Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: CB & Handheld Radios
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> CB & Handheld Radios

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Midland portable CB with the battery pack and wired bottom . Got it new, modified for more power, upper and lower 40 channels total 120 channels. With a Wilson 1000 it has pretty good range.

Slowmover

Fort Worth, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 03:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven’t had a week pass that CB hasn’t saved me time, money or headache.

Two things really changed CB popularity with truckers:

1) speed limits upped to 65+.

2) lack of metal structure truck cabs.

The first lessens desire, and the second kills it.

Also, there isn’t as much OTR driving as in the past. Intermodal has cut it.

The requirement for electronic log books cuts “making elbow room” to get things done that day. Dispatch has to be done differently. Thus not the need to avoid LE.

I’ve about $1k into the present rig. This includes expert labor where needed (tools I don’t use enough; antenna analyzer, etc).

Were my results more easily obtained, CB would be more popular among truck drivers. That I often know about road problems well in advance of them (they can hear my end of a conversation) tells me the interest is there.

As to cars and pickups, where to mount the radio is a problem. Same for those who won’t use a proper NMO Mount.

Where it is done, the performance can be spectacular. I’ve had plenty of increasing distance conversations with pilot car drivers. Rural and metro.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 8-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing

FrankShore

Laguna Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 01:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Midland makes the #1 portable CB Radio 75-822.

Midland on Amazon

[image]

It's peace of mind that if the cell phone isn't working or no wifi available, that a CB radio might be helpful in a jam

2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In - Fried! - Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer - Traded In)
2015 Lance 1995 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FrankShore wrote:

Midland makes the #1 portable CB Radio 75-822.

Midland on Amazon

[image]

It's peace of mind that if the cell phone isn't working or no wifi available, that a CB radio might be helpful in a jam

I have that one, hate it. with smaller hands it is difficult to hold and use. fine if you are stationary and don't have to juggle steering wheel, CB, smart phone, dunkin donuts coffee at the same time.
bumpy

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sleepover.

What you say is certainly true. However as I learned in amateur radio, the folks move on.

Much of the gear I have built or acquired over the years still works just fine, but folks have move on to the data modes and software defined radio.

Fortunately with the elimination of the code requirement, code has become the forbidden fruit and is as popular as ever.

But back to the OPs question, it seems there are times and places where CB might be handy.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duplicate post. Fast fingers slow brain. [emoticon]

DustyR

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/18 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slowmover wrote:

Haven’t had a week pass that CB hasn’t saved me time, money or headache.

Two things really changed CB popularity with truckers:

1) speed limits upped to 65+.

2) lack of metal structure truck cabs.

The first lessens desire, and the second kills it.

Also, there isn’t as much OTR driving as in the past. Intermodal has cut it.

The requirement for electronic log books cuts “making elbow room” to get things done that day. Dispatch has to be done differently. Thus not the need to avoid LE.

I’ve about $1k into the present rig. This includes expert labor where needed (tools I don’t use enough; antenna analyzer, etc).

Were my results more easily obtained, CB would be more popular among truck drivers. That I often know about road problems well in advance of them (they can hear my end of a conversation) tells me the interest is there.

As to cars and pickups, where to mount the radio is a problem. Same for those who won’t use a proper NMO Mount.

Where it is done, the performance can be spectacular. I’ve had plenty of increasing distance conversations with pilot car drivers. Rural and metro.

X-2

I still have my Cobra 29 LTD that was mfg in the late 90's and was 'redesigned' to give you the ability to talk down the road a fair number of miles. This radio never ceased to amaze me, on a good night you could talk to the world and the next day not be able to talk to the guard shack 1/2 mile away. Good radio, saved me from a lot of traffic tie ups and the the dreaded 'Bear'.

Times change and I still look for a CB antenna on a truck and think of the many long and boring miles that radio and driver interaction kept me alert and safe to drive another night.

* This post was edited 01/15/18 07:56am by DustyR *

Coachmen Denali 270FK 32 Ft.
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission,
EFI by Kory, 4" Exhaust w/muffler turbo back

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

since we travel in lots of places w/o cell service, cell phones don't do much good for communication when parking or between vehicles when traveling.

What I have found works best for us is radios with MURS or GMRS/FRS channels.

MURS gives good distance when OUTSIDE a vehicle, but since it is relatively low frequency, (140ish MHz) vehicles act as a faraday cage and limit range.

FRS/GMRS are higher frequencies (400ish MHz) so they work between vehicles.

MURS doesn't require a license. GMRS does. FRS doesn't but is limited to 0.5W IIRC, while GMRS allows 5 Watts handheld.

For off road motorcycle communication we use Standard horizon marine radios that we have eliminated the marine bands and reconfigured with standard horizon SW for MURS. very rugged waterproof radios but spendy. But we can easily get 1/2 mile range in heavy woods, 5 mile range in open area.

But as a in car or at the campground radio we use Baofeng UV-5R dual band radios. inexpensive, easy to configure for MURS and FRS/GMRS.
About $30 each on amazon or ebay.

IMHO either is way better than the box store GMRS/FMRS radios. with the baofeng or the Standard horizon you can set CTSS/DCS codes for each channel so you won't get interference from others on the same channel. And with the baofeng you can set it up or scan to listen on ham frequencies.

And yes, I do realize the baofeng is not type certified for GMRS/FMRS/MURS since they are preconfigured for those channels only.

* This post was last edited 01/18/18 09:53am by ktmrfs *   View edit history

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

w8lpn

Newell WV

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another Ham here. I do use a CB when travelling though. In the past have got some useful info. I do use ham radio also when travelling though. As far as vehicle to vehicle and spotting FRS is a good option as well but you wont get real far range on those since they are only 500mW.

2014 Ford F150 5.0
1985 citation 30 ft camper
Husky WDH with sway control

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

w8lpn wrote:

Another Ham here. I do use a CB when travelling though. In the past have got some useful info. I do use ham radio also when travelling though. As far as vehicle to vehicle and spotting FRS is a good option as well but you wont get real far range on those since they are only 500mW.

yup the downside FRS.

I believe GMRS allows 5 watts much better for range.

Also MURS with an outside antenna is good for vehicle to vehicle, but the low frequency really takes a hit inside a vehicle. Experienced that first hand last summer accidentally using MURS frequency for car to car instead of GMRS/FRS. But MURS is limited to 2 watts IIRC.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> CB & Handheld Radios
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS