Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Lance trailer “flat roof” makes roof water ponds -- problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Lance trailer “flat roof” makes roof water ponds -- problems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't understand why a mfg would have a flat roof and supposedly a premium brand. There lack of customer service is unacceptable in my opinion. Even my cheap Cherokee has a crowned roof.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

I can't understand why a mfg would have a flat roof and supposedly a premium brand. There lack of customer service is unacceptable in my opinion. Even my cheap Cherokee has a crowned roof.

X2 though I've read almost 100% positive about Lance, I've never understood the rationale behind the flat roof

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

keymastr

S.E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rational is that it is cheaper and easier to make the transition to the flat end at the front. Like everything else in this business it is driven by the numbers.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flat roofs have been on the decline for years. For the very reason this thread is about. Manufacturers don't like to mess around with warranty claims and bad reputations when a simple change in construction can make a big difference. Lance, being relatively new to the TT buisiness still needs to learn this.

I would NEVER own a flat roof RV again.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had a few TT's with flat roofs and they all ponded a bit, but never had any leaks. My current TrailCruiser's roof is flat and ponds up but it doesn't bother me any. As someone said, maintenance x3.

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keymastr wrote:

The rational is that it is cheaper and easier to make the transition to the flat end at the front. Like everything else in this business it is driven by the numbers.

Manufacturing cost rules everything. It's much cheaper to make a laminated roof flat as you already have the equipment used to make the wall panels. In Lance's case they most likely do not move enough product to justify the cost of the specialized equipment to be able to do this.

[image]

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 01:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LVJJJ wrote:

I've had a few TT's with flat roofs and they all ponded a bit, but never had any leaks. My current TrailCruiser's roof is flat and ponds up but it doesn't bother me any. As someone said, maintenance x3.
The big problem with a flat roof, is that there is NO margin for error on maintainence. You need to be on top of the caulking like it's a religon.

ONE mistake, and it's all over.
Of course if you check it every 2 months, and the caulking fails @ 59 days and it rains..... There will be those here that will claim you did not check it often enough.

Flat roofs need to go the way of the Do Do bird.
The RVing public can speed this process along by spreading the word on forums like this, and refusing to buy flat roofed units.

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 01:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My roof is somewhat flat and has edge trim that allows water to pool against the trim. I used heroic caulking measures when I restored the roof but had one or two tiny leaks. I installed Eternabond tapes to every through hole and over the edge trim. That eliminated any leaks and it has been five years since the tape was installed.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The roof on the Dart is flat and it was a concern when we bought it. But I just put her slightly off level and all is good. I check the roof several times a year and have used a fair amount of Eternabond where I could.
So far, no problems. (Knock on luaun)

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2008 Nissan Frontier CC 4WD
Andersen Hitch

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lake effects on flat roofs is a big reason rv trailer/house trailer mfg moved to the crowned truss type ribs in the roof many years ago. I've seen water standing 1"+ deep around the A/C units especially on older trailers that the roof sagged with time.
Having been in the rv/mobilhome assy/repair side I'm surprised to hear any mfg would use that old system.
Maintaining them, especially with the old galvanized steel and later aluminum roofing material was time consuming if we wanted a the unit to last long term.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Lance trailer “flat roof” makes roof water ponds -- problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS