Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Lance trailer “flat roof” makes roof water ponds -- problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Lance trailer “flat roof” makes roof water ponds -- problems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keymastr wrote:

The rational is that it is cheaper and easier to make the transition to the flat end at the front. Like everything else in this business it is driven by the numbers.

Agreed, but Lance trailers are not exactly cheap or considered entry level.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is another reason I don't like the flat roof aside from the aforementioned reason of water pooling.

A flat roof doesn't allow for ducted AC. My previous TT, a Skyline Koala 21CS had a flat roof. The AC just dumped cold air into one area of the trailer, and was a bit nosier too, at least to my ears.

My Jay Flight 23RB has the trussed roof system, and it has space for AC ducts. I like the cold air spread through out the TT.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

hodaka

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone. SoundGuy's post tells me how to upload pics here, and I'll try to upload the pics of the ponds on my Lance 1685 roof and the extensive damage inside the trailer. If for some reason pics don't upload, I've managed to upload them on the iRV2.com travel trailer forum, and the Lance Owners forum, and you can find them there. Or send me a message with an email address and I'll send the pics to you. Of course I sent the pics to Lance last month, and offered them the opportunity to look at the roof ponds of water on their so-called "flat roof", which is not flat. And the extensive damage. Lance declines to view the roof ponds or the damage.

Here goes my attempt to correctly upload the four pics here, which should be below, if all goes well for me. My apologies if I don't get it quite right. Best to all, and happy camping.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RE: third picture showing water ponding areas - looks like some significant holes in the caulking around your vent cap. When is the last time you had it redone? the other areas of caulk don't look so hot either. People often say they don't clean the roof because they can't see it - well, cleaning not only puts your eyes on the roof at least once or twice a year, it makes it easier to spot problems.

Not trying to be nasty, but I think your issue is due to lack of preventative maintenance - from the looks of the roof pictures.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

RE: third picture showing water ponding areas - looks like some significant holes in the caulking around your vent cap. When is the last time you had it redone? the other areas of caulk don't look so hot either. People often say they don't clean the roof because they can't see it - well, cleaning not only puts your eyes on the roof at least once or twice a year, it makes it easier to spot problems.

Not trying to be nasty, but I think your issue is due to lack of preventative maintenance - from the looks of the roof pictures.

x2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Lance trailer “flat roof” makes roof water ponds -- problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS