Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jayco Jay Feather 25bh or Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW

Ruger3739
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I've been camping with a 1999 Komfort Bunkhouse for the last five years and it's time to upgrade. I am towing with a 1/2 ton truck so weight is a concern.

I really like the 2018 Jay Feather 25bh but I'm concerned with the "foam" /non plywood floors. I take really good care of my stuff and plan on keeping the new rig for a long time. Is soft floors in this model a legitimate concern?

If it is a real concern I would consider the Jay Flight SLX 267bh. I know this is a "cheaper" model but it does have the plywood floors.

The white hawk and standard Jay Flight don't have a floor plan and weight I am comfortable with.

Any words of wisdom? I'm I over thinking this and should just go with the Jay feather I like?
11 REPLIES 11

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The floor construction on the two models that the OP is considering is the same. 5/8" plywood. Jayco does make some 7' wide models like the 154bh's that have a composite floor. Not a factor for the OP.

The difference in the two models is not structural, but represents upgrades like medicine cabinets, etc.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
There are a lot of campers with composite floors that have never had a failure. If it was a pervasive problem, you would hear about it more often. I would say that I have heard just as many concerns with soft plywood/OSB floors as with composite. And I would guess that the vast majority of both are due to water intrusion.
If you plan on keeping it a long time and do the required maintenance, this really should be of little concern.

The problem is you are walking on styrofoam compared to a piece of wood. Even with no water damage, the foam itself breaks down and leaves a spongy floor. If you're okay with that, fine, but many aren't and rebuild their floors using real wood.

The industry got away from it for a while using structure wood instead on the ultra lite models, like pop ups, because of the issues years ago. I guess they feel it's time for round 2 to see how long these newer laminated floors will last.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of campers with composite floors that have never had a failure. If it was a pervasive problem, you would hear about it more often. I would say that I have heard just as many concerns with soft plywood/OSB floors as with composite. And I would guess that the vast majority of both are due to water intrusion.
If you plan on keeping it a long time and do the required maintenance, this really should be of little concern.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Ruger3739 wrote:
Hello all,

I'm concerned with the "foam" /non plywood floors.

As you should. Many comments over the years how these foam floors don't hold up. I consider them disposable campers.Surprised these foam floors are still used, as they are known to break down and fail after a few years of use.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Jayco... Built in 7 hours...lol... well I guess they all are...

Im just always reading though jayco quality went down the tubes..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMJrRQ3SVk

This has to be the stupidest video, well, not a stupid video, a good video that attracts all the stupid comments. I'm sure it takes most RV manufacturers 7 hours to build one, but Jayco is the only to have the balls to do this video. I just get **** tired of reading all the stupid comments. You don't have the #1 selling trailer line for 12 years if you are building ****.... if you don't have one, don't comment on quality. They are still building a great trailer .... and the Jayflight u see being built is the best bang for your buck, and most other manufacturers salivate at the thought of having the success it has
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and this camper is great. I wouldn't look at another. Jayco's build quality and customer service are second to NONE!

I would seriously consider Jay Flight over the SLX. Jay Flight has better, pretty much everything for only a few hundred more pounds.

The upgrades are very significant and the extra cost over a SLX is not. I honestly can't believe the SLX series is even selling. My dealer had them side by side, and the SLX version of the Jay Flights were such a disappointment next to the standard Jay Flights.

Back in the day, you had differing models of the Jay Flight from lux editions to stripped down editions. However none were stripped down using shelves instead of cabinets, and none changed HVAC system, or the frame like the SLX does. Be cautious if considering a SLX.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
What is the point about the video? All mass produced items are hurry up, hurry up. Does it make Jayco inferior to other brands within their price point?

To the OP, I would still go with the plywood even if it weighs a few more pounds.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco... Built in 7 hours...lol... well I guess they all are...

Im just always reading though jayco quality went down the tubes..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMJrRQ3SVk
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Lance also makes some nice trailers, but that may not be what the OP asked about.

I like the two year warranty on the Jayco's and they are a best seller which will help with resale price. "Everybody" has heard of Jayco.

Having said all that, I would choose a model with the plywood flooring system.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the coachmen apex 288bhs.. < 600lb TW. Only 4800 lbs.. More trailer for you $$$

Your 1500 truck will thank you

http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=62&ModelID=292#Main

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Coachmen-Apex-288BHS-117374357

This one has the fiberglass cap summit package.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Coachmen-Apex-288BHS-5000514307
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to join the Jayco Owners Forum and ask. You'll get good answers there. Our Jayco X20E is going on 5 years old, has the composite floor, and we haven't had any problems. There are a few folks on Jayco Owners that do have soft spots. But I also know of people that have floor rot on 3 years trailers with plywood floors. It's all about leaks and regularly inspecting the trailer. Pretty much all manufacturers put the onus on the owner to keep the unit sealed and dry.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)