cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

shackles

plock40
Explorer
Explorer
hi everyone, I was wondering if I can put wet shackle on a 14 year old fifth wheel, I have had problems with the shackles cracking and breaking. I had them gusseted, but they did not change the bolts. thanks for any help. cardinal 29',2004
3500 Ram 4x4 Dually Crew Cab Longbed
990 Artic Fox Camper
2005 Cardinal 5th Wheel
13 REPLIES 13

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
ChuckV1 wrote:
I really like the MorRyde 4000 system with wet bolts ....

X2 This is what I replaced mine with. I had the Dexter ezflex and the rubber โ€œspringโ€ permanently squished down rotted and cracked all to heck to the point of falling out. Also if you do have ezflex donโ€™t forget to grease the 2 grease zerks on them.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the MorRyde 4000 system with wet bolts ....

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
DReisinger wrote:
Wet bolts ? Are they greased, unfamiliar with term

yes...see here https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21609645.cfm
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
Wet bolts ? Are they greased, unfamiliar with term

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
How about a Dexter EZ Flex kit with wet bolts? This will give you more flex in the center than a standard idler.

KJ

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

This is the type of suspension every trailer should have. The mickey-mouse suspension of most trailers is just incredibly poor in design.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Cardinal that broke a shackle bracket two years ago. Learned at that time all the shackles and bolts were wore out. I bought the (improved over original) parts on Amazon and replaced them myself. I also installed wet bolts.

If you install the wet bolts, I would suggest you ensure the bolt hole is away from the load so grease can easily escape when you lube.

Looking back, I am surprised those plastic shackled bushings lasted as long as they did.

I have photos but dont know how to use this forum for that.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
plock40 wrote:
hi everyone, I was wondering if I can put wet shackle on a 14 year old fifth wheel, I have had problems with the shackles cracking and breaking. I had them gusseted, but they did not change the bolts. thanks for any help. cardinal 29',2004

How about a Dexter EZ Flex kit with wet bolts? This will give you more flex in the center than a standard idler.

KJ

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
If you are writing about the hangers, the U shaped mount for the springs cracking, you will need more than wet bolts.

Hangers have a 9/16 hole into which the bolt locks into tight with Knurling just inside the head, same as a wheel stud. Knurling locks the bolt into the hanger, preventing it from turning in the hanger, so the wear action is in the spring eye.
Get a fab. welder to look at your rig.
Go to rednecktrailer.com for parts.

blenhardt
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you should be able to get a wet bolt kit to replace the bolts. Try Etrailer.
2013 Redwood Model 34SK, 2011 F350 4X4 CC Dually

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That's going to take some welding and fabrication to fix.

plock40
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry, they maybe called leaf spring hanger, they are welded to the frame, a "u" shape, about 5/16" thick, and the spring fits inside. I guess all the sharp turns and backing into tight spots make the leaf spring hanger weak at the bend
3500 Ram 4x4 Dually Crew Cab Longbed
990 Artic Fox Camper
2005 Cardinal 5th Wheel

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, check out eTrailer for heavy duty shackles and wet bolt kits.
When I installed them in our last TT, nothing ever wore again. The new TT came with them.
Just make sure the new shackles are the same length as the old unless you want to lift or lower your trailer a bit.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are you talking about shackles or spring hangers? When you say gusseted it makes me think spring hangers.

If you're talking about wet bolts and heavy spring shackles with metal bushings, you should be able to do that.