cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Of Manzanillo Record Cool Termperatures

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is not to start some kind of debate -- go elsewhere to argue por favor ๐Ÿ™‚

The weather along the Michoacan and Guerrero coast is cooler than at anytime in memory. Beto's grandmother was born during the 1917 Spanish flu epidemic and she claims not even her great mother ever reported temperatures this cool this far south.

Usually the city of Manzanillo can be used as a "cut-off point" southbound for cool nights even in winter. The normal temperature at night in Las Penas in in the high seventies in early January.

For weeks the temperature has been dropping to the mid-sixties. Sea SURFACE temperature has been measured by my son-in-law to be SEVENTY POINT NINE degrees with very low swell height. Unheard of.

So, what does this mean?

I would tend to believe temperatures in urban areas within enclosed bays would be measurably warmer.

But for folks unused to very warm and very humid coastal climate the low temperatures are a boon.

I would lean heavily toward discouraging solo boondocking. It just isn't at all safe. But Michoacan has some of the most affordable RV beach camping in Mexico. The climate had discouraged gringoization of the ambiance and price tag of organized camping.

How long is this going to last? My crystal ball came defective from the factory ๐Ÿ™‚ And micro climates rule down here. I've seen within a space of 48 hours s dawn temperature difference of 15 degrees F between Las Penas, and Zihuatanejo -- a mere 70 miles distant.

Enjoy it while you can!
18 REPLIES 18

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
There is a monster cold front passing Texas and headed south today. At 30 MPH a couple of days more might see it far southward. This hurts the poor folks a lot.

Talleyho69
Today the temp in Zihuatanejo Bay was 77.9 It's heading back up.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Our fist arrival a Tenacatita in '03 was to a beach the other side of the hill, where a near shore coral reef is, and to only a hand full of rigs. As winters went by, more and more folks were there. With room on the coral side, where vehicles could drive on fairly stable ground, limited to about 15 rigs, with openings for other traffic to reach the beach, with more people coming, the earlier one got there, the better chance of you getting a good place. Seven years later, we arrived on November 12th, the tail end of their long summer. The road in on Mex 200, was beginning to grow in, with branches often touching the sides of our vehicles, the jungle lush green, the weather warm and humid, and the water in our little bay recorded by a friend, at 85 F. Getting it all settled in, the shower tent up, the outside cooking area arranged, was hard work in the hot sun.

Generally there were 14 rigs, two or three Americans, two or three Albertans, one or two from Ontario, another from Quebec and eight or nine from B.C. Tenters and VW Buses would come and go, Christmas brought many, with 60 from Guadalajara, in fashionable tents that would get placed abutted up to their neighbours. Some even touching an RV. Day trippers would abound, often arriving in private buses, with a count on some days of 30 to 50 arriving at the larger, main beach. the palapa restaurants did amazing business, some had been there for 50 years.There were more folks camped above the main beach, where a road stretched for about 1/2 a mile.Each year a growing throng of people from Mexico City, would spend their christmas holiday at the farthest end of the main beach.

It all came to an end on August 4th, 2010, when about 60 Jalisco State Police, in full riot gear and automatic weapons raided the beach, evicting everyone, and quickly putting up wire fencing to eliminate anyone getting through. Armed guards paced the beach and thwarted any and all attempts to land a boat. Buildings began to get bulldozed, along with nearly every palapa restaurant and nearly any kind of improvement that had been done,even under a signature of a Mexican president. It was said that about 800 Mexicans made their living, from that Tenacatita beach.

We've never been back, but cherish the year and a half of our lives, spent snorkling over the coral, under the sun. But the small town of El Rebelsito, about 3 km away, may never fully recover.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Snow on the ground in the valley of Toluca and snow in the sierra de Oaxaca, that is cold and quite far South, we have been at 0ยฐ Celsius 32ยฐ F at sun up the last two days in Ciudad Satelite.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Any enclosed bay can get warm even in the winter. La Manzanilla, and Barra / Melaque are not that far south of Tenacatita.

When I first rolled into Tenacatita in the mid-seventies, it looked like a tropical mutation of Haight Ashbury. "Not for me" I rolled on down to Playa Dorada south of Barra

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the cold can surprise us. In a park in Goodyear waiting to watch another hockey game in Glendale, or a MLB Spring Training, baseball game, either one of half a dozen in the area, we got a call from Daughter and SIL that they weren"t coming down to Phoenix, work commitments I think. Next day or so, the temp dipped to 25 F.with a bitter wind. Needed more propane for our Buddy Heater. Good thing they were not coming, it would have been a huge disappointment, the pool was outdoors at that Park.

People were prepared, in Mexico. Most of us had weathered the cold just coming down, and I know we always were ready with heavy coats, even for camping around Guad at over 4500 feet, but the balanarios were nice in the mornings. Our first trip to Tenacatita was January, 2003. As February rolled around we went to bed, outside it was 83 degrees, in the morning, after a sleepless night, it was still 83 degrees.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen too many RV'ers arrive then get frantic when they find evening temperatures require a heavy cost, hat and gloves. One winter in La Manzanilla, JAL. I sweated all night with a ceiling fan twirling above. The next winter, the same week of the year, I had to close the windows and ask management for more blankets. 70F with 40% relative humidity is completely different than 70F with 80% humidity.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, a cold front extending from Vancouver, Canada, reaches as far as Veracruz...pretty amazing something that came that far. We are about 100 miles north of Vancouver and haven't seen any snow yet, just our usual 36 to 39 degrees F.and no frost for weeks, but quite a bit of fog.

Our coldest times come as a result of ultra high pressure systems that form in Siberia, go west through Alaska. In February of 1989 air traffic in Anchorage came to a standstill as planes tried in vain to deice; as days went on this system drifted down into B.C. and set a new Canadian Record for High Pressure. Here in our town, about February 5th, 1989, we skated on a lake that nobody could remember ever skating on before. A few days later it snowed in Los Angeles, for the first time in 25 years.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Some areas of your city have natural gas? The astrophysicists are warning of several years of cooler weather. Brings forth smiles and memories from up north -- a pot bellied stove and short-hair hounds laying around it dead to the world.

More snow for the northern states in on the way for the weekend. Near term departees may want to monitor the weather...

THIS JUST IN (clatter of teletypes)...

Mexico News Daily | Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Itโ€™s been a cold winter for much of Mexico with temperatures as low as -12 C in Hidalgo, snow in many areas and hardship for some.

And conditions are not expected to change much in the next few days as cold front No. 23, extending from a low-pressure system in Vancouver, Canada, reaches as far as the southern coast of Veracruz.

The weather was particularly hard on a family of migrants from Honduras who were traveling on Monday through Nogales, Sonora, where temperatures have been dropping to -3 or lower.

The state of Hidalgo enjoys the distinction of having recorded the lowest temperatures so far this season, As far as Agustรญn can remember, it has never been so cold.

His memory serves him well, judging by a pronouncement on the weather by national Civil Protection director Ricardo de la Cruz Musalem. He said the cold front is one of the most severe ever recorded.

It has particularly affected the north and center of the country.

Temperatures dropped to as low as -6 last night in Saltillo, Coahuila, covering streets with a thin sheet of ice. When one driver lost control of his vehicle a major pileup of 43 vehicles followed, including cars, trucks, a police car and a bus.

Four people were injured, but none seriously. Damages were estimated in the multi millions of pesos.

Poor conditions were responsible for another accident in Monterrey, Nuevo Leรณn, involving 28 vehicles. Two people were injured.

Heavy fog closed the Saltillo-Monterrey freeway yesterday afternoon after a an accident involving three trucks left as many people injured. The highway was reopened this morning to traffic in both directions.

Today, the coldest place in the country was La Rosilla, in Guanacevรญ, Durango, where the mercury plunged to -11, the National Meteorological Service said.

Nineteen states were reporting temperatures below 0.

Other cold spots were El Vergel in Balleza, Chihuahua, with -8, and Tres Barrancas in Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, where it was -7.

Cold and bitterly cold weather and heavy fog are forecast for the northeast, the west and the center of the country with the possibility of snow or sleet in mountainous areas of Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leรณn, Tamaulipas, Puebla and Veracruz.

Higher regions in many parts of Mexico will see temperatures of -5 or less, the National Meteorological Service said today.

Source: El Universal (sp), Milenio (sp)

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The cold weather has migrated South, every now and then there is a cold spell and this winter is one, we have woken to zero degrees celsius (32 F) granted we are at over 7316 feet above sea level and but is is cold, even the cat stays in bed until 08:30 or later before venturing out side.

Hopefully the summer will be warn and not to rainy.

Stay warm.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

82ยฐ
69ยฐ

Normal is 87 and 76

Talleyho69
Today, the water temperature was down to 75.1 degrees. That's a huge change since it measured 82.6 on the 11th.

Maybe the cool water is headed south!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
NICE! NICE! NICE!
Not on the mainland, but on the Baja peninsula, About 25-years ago I paused at the Bay of Concepcion for an August swim...

Tore into the water wearing mantaraya booties.

OUCH
OUCH
DANG
SHEEZUS
OUCH
OUCH

I had to thrash into chest-deep water to get out of the burning hot shallows. Water temp must have been a hundred and ten.

I dove and enjoyed the mere 95 degree water. It was 110+F on the beach.

I stared at the shallows. I'd have to negotiate them once again to get back to dry land.

I sure sleep sounder when it's 70 rather than 80F

Talleyho69
Water temperature in the bay at Zihuatanejo this morning was 82.6.