cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

State of campgrounds & resorts in Florida after huricanes

harrellrick
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are planning a trip to central Florida (Atlantic side) in late January or early February. We will driving from San Antonio, TX to Merritt Island, FL.

Can anyone tell me condition of the campgrounds and/or resorts in Florida since hurricanes? Is anything or everything back to normal, yet?
9 REPLIES 9

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just got back from the Keys. There are site available but get reservations. The place we stayed had some availability for people that just showed up but that is a huge gamble. The other parts of Florida we drove through ( and spent the night in Ft. Myers, was fine.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
As far as we can see (from Orlando) everything North of Florida City is up and running.

In the Keys, not so much. What is open is being used by Monroe County residents as temporary housing because they still have no house of their own.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I got 5 e-mails today from companies with multiple campgrounds in Fort Meyers, Sarasota, and Melbourne areas saying their โ€˜resortsโ€™ are open, all facilities open and plenty of open sites for a day, a week, a month or longer.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to get your reservations ahead of time. If not too late now.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not back to normal in the Keys yet although they did an amazing job of hauling away all the trashed houses and their contents.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Florida lucked out with the cane going up the middle so both coasts had very little damage...only some tree and power damage. I would say other than the middle keys and around Marco Island you will not notice any damage.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I just came back from Ft. Myers and you can barely tell a hurricane went through. Thankfully Irma diminished rapidly as it came north. Aside from some large trees that were up rooted and still need to be cut up and removed everything was fine. Was in the Crystal River area too and the whole coastal area seemed fine there too. Go and soak up some sunshine and eat lots of shrimp.

Coachleppy
Explorer
Explorer
Couldnโ€™t agree more with Big Katuna. Florida state parks did a terrific job on the turn around.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, everything is back to normal with a few exceptions.

Our state parks are managed under Reserve America so site availability is accurate.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.