cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need an equilizer hitch?

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a great Vintage style 19ft Cruiser travel trailer. We used to be fulltime in a 5th wheel so we kept our 1 ton Ram diesel. The trailer is 3400lbs dry. I'm planning to do a cross country trip. Would it be a good idea to get an equalizer hitch? The dealer said I wouldn't need one, but experience has shown not to exactly believe what a dealer says.
15 REPLIES 15

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for your advice. I took a 5,000 mile trip with my 19ft trailer, & 1 ton diesel ram. I never needed the antisway hitch. I never had one moment of sway, even in mountains. I loved being out on the road again. Now I'm planning a 10 week trip this coming summer. I work for a school district, I am seriously considering a second retirement & going back to fulltime. I would have to volunteer for a free site or do a little workcamping for part of the year to supplement my income. I love getting advice since I'm usually over cautious

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
If one needs a fancy hitch to tame down a "wild puppy", then they need to examine the setup and the geometry of the truck trailer combo. Trailers are not inherently sway machines. Sure, a high wind can buffet a semi-trailer or 747. I purchase tow vehicles with the capacity to handle trailers with nothing more than a simple ball mount. Just like the folks who deliver lightweight trailers.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a 1991 Prowler 15 footer back in the early 1990s. For it's size it was heavy. We didn't use a WD hitch and there were times when that thing got wild in a cross wind, etc.. Personally, I would always use whatever I need to stabilize the camper. The truck may be overkill but, that doesn't stop the trailer from wagging. Just get a Harbor Freight WD hitch. It's more than you need and will do a good job. Also, there's the issue of civil liability if you don't take reasonable measures to keep that puppy tied to your truck.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I think that we might have a jokester here, trying to find out how many of the weight police will advise that a one ton dually is not adequate to tow a rather smallish trailer without some kind of fancy hitch.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
I'd suggest to get one.

DANG, I should have known someone who only tows TT would suggest WD.
Westend, do you plow without any extra weight in the bed?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Small trailer, big truck. You should have no problem without a WD hitch. Drop it on the ball and go.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I made a trip out to Oregon and back to Delaware this past summer with a 23 foot TT and 2015 Silverado 2500 and had no problems with weight distribution or sway. You could consider just a sway control because any trailer can be affected by wind or big semi's passing. Again we didn't experience any issues on our cross country trip or traveling to New England and back. Our new TT is 29.5 ft, heavier, and more expensive so I had the camper dealer install a weight distribution/sway control system. And yes, they are freaking heavy!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to get one, I suggest you look at an Andersen for that size camper.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
What does RAM say on the subject? If it was a GM product, they would state that no WD hitch is required for that setup and they might know a little bit about towing.

You are about to hear where it is so much fun to mess with a heavy, dirty, and noisy WD hitch that you will want one regardless of the loads involved.

By the way, the myth about front axle weight is still around from the old days when we towed with sedans and station wagons. A one ton diesel pickup has plenty of front axle weight bias. Note that manufacturers don't install ballast to the front end when they switch to a much lighter gasoline fueled engine.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to get one. Sure, your truck will handle the tongue weight, no problem and, if the trailer is loaded right, sway wouldn't be an issue. The tongue weight does unload the front axle of your truck, though.

I tow a 5K lb trailer with a 4x4 F250 with plow package. The plow package upgrades the front springs to 1 ton springs. I've towed without a WDH and the truck will handle it fine but it does remove weight from the front suspension. I like the steering axles to have the original load on them.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
No WD hitch should be needed. But be sure to weigh your trailer tongue to make sure it's between 10% and 15% of the total TT weight; this is important for proper handling (avoiding dangerous sway).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe for once on here someone will not say you need WD.
Why would you want to put more weight on the front axle that's heavier than the rear?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
With that particular combination I think a weight distributing hitch would be a bad idea. You want all the tongue weight you can get on the back of that truck to soften the ride.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
This time the dealer is...right.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad