Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Good deal or not a good deal?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Good deal or not a good deal?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
jplante4

Cape Cod

Moderator

Joined: 07/29/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/11/18 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only trouble is it's the wrong rig for the OP's intended use.

GoGators1776 wrote:

I would be staying at locations for long periods of time and not traveling to new locations constantly.


I've seen it here several times. This use profile calls for a 5ver or TT, not a motor home.


Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox


mowermech

Billings, MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/11/18 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Get an independent inspection and value estimation and do a written contract.

You dealing with an associate, so the more you can do to keep it an unbiased arms length negotiation, the better.

Otherwise, when something goes wrong (and it will), you are less likely to blame your "friend" because you went in with eyes wide open.


A contract for a private party sale? For what? Is the seller going to finance it? If so, a contract is definitely needed. If it is a used goods, "as is where is, no warranty expressed or implied" cash sale, the only "contract" required is a Bill Of Sale.
If the seller wishes to give a 30 day 3000 mile warranty, that can be noted on the BOS.
I have never given a warranty of any kind on a used vehicle sale. If the buyer wants a warranty, he can contact one of the multitudes of Service Contract sellers that are available. Once the seller has the cash in hand, and the buyer has the title and possession of the vehicle, the deal is done and complete.
As for the coach in question, yes, I think it probably is a good deal. If you like the coach, and it appears to be well cared for, I would say "Go for it!" If an inspection would give you peace of mind, do that before the purchase.
Good luck.


CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

mowermech

Billings, MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/11/18 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

The only trouble is it's the wrong rig for the OP's intended use.

GoGators1776 wrote:

I would be staying at locations for long periods of time and not traveling to new locations constantly.


I've seen it here several times. This use profile calls for a 5ver or TT, not a motor home.


For some people, that may be true. For others, not so much.
When DW was doing the "Traveling Nurse" thing, we started out in a motorhome. Her contracts were for 13 weeks, renewable.
So, 13 to 26 weeks at one location, then move to the next contract. No problem in the 1988 Suncrest Class A, other than the horrible fuel mileage.
Then we borrowed a fifth wheel. No problem again, other than the minor aggravation of having a Dodge Ram 3500 dually as a daily driver.
Both rigs worked out just fine.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 01/11/18 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah idk what you could possibly write a contract for???
Don’t be the tool that asks your co worker for a warranty on his 10 year old Moho.
He probably won’t give you the sweet deal.... or talk to you again!


03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

Senior Member

Joined: 07/30/2014

View Profile



Posted: 01/11/18 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

DownTheAvenue wrote:

You would also be very wise in writing down your and the sellers expectations regarding the sale and events occurring after the sale, and both of you sign. It probably would not be a legally binding contract, but spelling out all those issues could save a friendship if something develops.


Actually this is the very heart of a legally binding contract.

While best in writing and signed, even a verbal agreement is legally binding (much harder to prove when things go sour, so do it in writing with signatures)

If he balks at a written contract on a $70k+ item, run away. There is something wrong with the deal.


Since I am an attorney, I am well qualified to render an opinion on what is legally binding. Unless the language is specific to satisfy state law, regardless of what is written it will not be a legal contract and therefore not enforceable in court. I mentioned what I did because both the buyer and seller are friends, and writing down expectations could avoid loosing a friend if something goes sour.

GoGators1776

Florida

New Member

Joined: 01/10/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/11/18 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone for your input. The inspection is something that we already talked about and he agreed that should be done. This does seem like a good deal and wanted to get the opinions of the good graces of the internet to reaffirm my gut. Myself and my GF already own vehicles so I don't think a 5th wheel would be in order as I would have to buy a truck.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 01/12/18 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Get an independent inspection and value estimation and do a written contract.

You dealing with an associate, so the more you can do to keep it an unbiased arms length negotiation, the better.

Otherwise, when something goes wrong (and it will), you are less likely to blame your "friend" because you went in with eyes wide open.


A contract for a private party sale? For what? Is the seller going to finance it? If so, a contract is definitely needed. If it is a used goods, "as is where is, no warranty expressed or implied" cash sale, the only "contract" required is a Bill Of Sale.
If the seller wishes to give a 30 day 3000 mile warranty, that can be noted on the BOS.
I have never given a warranty of any kind on a used vehicle sale. If the buyer wants a warranty, he can contact one of the multitudes of Service Contract sellers that are available. Once the seller has the cash in hand, and the buyer has the title and possession of the vehicle, the deal is done and complete.
As for the coach in question, yes, I think it probably is a good deal. If you like the coach, and it appears to be well cared for, I would say "Go for it!" If an inspection would give you peace of mind, do that before the purchase.
Good luck.


You do realize a simple bill of sale...is a contract?

The issue here is he's not dealing with a stranger, so spelling out very clearly that there is no warranty (if that's what the seller wants) is good because there is also a relationship at risk and there may have been informal discussions during the process that can create confusion later when something goes wrong and verbal discussions were that everything works great.

Always better to spell things out.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 01/12/18 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

DownTheAvenue wrote:

You would also be very wise in writing down your and the sellers expectations regarding the sale and events occurring after the sale, and both of you sign. It probably would not be a legally binding contract, but spelling out all those issues could save a friendship if something develops.


Actually this is the very heart of a legally binding contract.

While best in writing and signed, even a verbal agreement is legally binding (much harder to prove when things go sour, so do it in writing with signatures)

If he balks at a written contract on a $70k+ item, run away. There is something wrong with the deal.


Since I am an attorney, I am well qualified to render an opinion on what is legally binding. Unless the language is specific to satisfy state law, regardless of what is written it will not be a legal contract and therefore not enforceable in court. I mentioned what I did because both the buyer and seller are friends, and writing down expectations could avoid loosing a friend if something goes sour.


You might be a lawyer but apparently not a contract lawyer.

Yes, there may be the risk of unenforceable contract terms but a written agreement signed off on by both parties is an enforceable contract.

2012Coleman

Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 08/20/2012

View Profile






Posted: 01/12/18 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GoGators1776 wrote:

Thank you everyone for your input. The inspection is something that we already talked about and he agreed that should be done. This does seem like a good deal and wanted to get the opinions of the good graces of the internet to reaffirm my gut. Myself and my GF already own vehicles so I don't think a 5th wheel would be in order as I would have to buy a truck.
Good Gawd - if people knew how much I get to use my TT on a varying basis, based on the responses of some, they would tell me I should be using a tent!

Look - if something it going to go wrong with it, it will go wrong no mater who owns it. Just realize a the good advice that has already been given is that maintenance parts tires are expensive.

As if it is a good deal, I would not necessarily think it is worth as much as the present owners owes on his loan. Find out how much it is worth and present him with your data. He might be underwater on it - that's not your problem. From the pictures OB posted - it the model your considering looks very nice.

Does it come with the stuff to tow a car? Good luck with it.


Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

Senior Member

Joined: 07/30/2014

View Profile



Posted: 01/12/18 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

DownTheAvenue wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

DownTheAvenue wrote:

You would also be very wise in writing down your and the sellers expectations regarding the sale and events occurring after the sale, and both of you sign. It probably would not be a legally binding contract, but spelling out all those issues could save a friendship if something develops.


Actually this is the very heart of a legally binding contract.

While best in writing and signed, even a verbal agreement is legally binding (much harder to prove when things go sour, so do it in writing with signatures)

If he balks at a written contract on a $70k+ item, run away. There is something wrong with the deal.


Since I am an attorney, I am well qualified to render an opinion on what is legally binding. Unless the language is specific to satisfy state law, regardless of what is written it will not be a legal contract and therefore not enforceable in court. I mentioned what I did because both the buyer and seller are friends, and writing down expectations could avoid loosing a friend if something goes sour.


You might be a lawyer but apparently not a contract lawyer.

Yes, there may be the risk of unenforceable contract terms but a written agreement signed off on by both parties is an enforceable contract.


Thank you for your opinion. Even though it is not correct. Unless the language satisfies law, the contract is null and void. The television judges do a big disservice because the viewers then believe that is how the law actually works.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Good deal or not a good deal?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS