Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Dometic Heat Pump
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dometic Heat Pump

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last week we were camped in some cold weather 30-40's. The motor home next to us every night I could hear his Dometic heat pumps coming on and running 10-15 minutes then the other one would come on. My Atwood heat pump only runs for a couple of minutes at a time.....Never satisfying the thermostat.....I got so ripped off by my purchase of the Atwood Heat pump....Plus Atwood could care less that their product is defective....

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the thermostat have an "anticipation" setting? If it does, changing the setting may get you a longer run time.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

Does the thermostat have an "anticipation" setting? If it does, changing the setting may get you a longer run time.

It is a totally electronic thermostat....only a pad about 1/4" thick......Atwood told me it was designed to run that way.....which is not good if you are cold....I have asked them if I could adjust the anticipator and they said absolutely not.....so I am stuck with what I have....

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob Vaughn wrote:

westend wrote:

It is a totally electronic thermostat....only a pad about 1/4" thick......Atwood told me it was designed to run that way.....which is not good if you are cold....I have asked them if I could adjust the anticipator and they said absolutely not.....so I am stuck with what I have....

Sorry to hear that. There are more than a few posts about RV heat pumps not doing the job.

If you're always hooked up to 120V, kickboard heaters may be a good alternative. They don't take up much space and are positioned low so are efficient in what they do.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put a different Tstat on it as mine will run as long as it takes to reach the set temperature. Take a picture of the wiring and what function the wires go to...do not rely on the color of the wires.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45'
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
Where am I?
How I spend the winter.

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the nature of the beast heat pumps in many cases are not the best choice for heating an RV. They are of limited capacity initially and this goes down as the temperature decreases and RVs are generally not as well insulated as homes. A heat pump rated at 15000 BTU cooling will only produce about 12000 BTU heating at 45 degrees and less at lower temperatures. Most also have an electric heating element to help compensate but they are also of a limited capacity.

Ivylog

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are paying for the electric you will use the heat pumps as they are 3-4 times more efficient in the 50-60 degree range and 2X at freezing. Yes mine will work that low and they do not have heat strips. Find a different Tstat as what you have is a POS.

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

Put a different Tstat on it as mine will run as long as it takes to reach the set temperature. Take a picture of the wiring and what function the wires go to...do not rely on the color of the wires.

I was thinking of doing that but Atwood will not release a wiring schematic .....they claim one does not exist and when I ask them about what different color wires do they plead ignorance...their dealers and authorized service centers cannot even get them......All in all it is a POS.....

jamesroadking

Lake City, Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our Monaco class A we had two A/C's with heat pumps, a $750 upgrade. They were very poor at heating the coach. The 40K BTU LP gas furnace worked great, but used a lot of LP gas.
We ended up buying two thermostatically controlled electric heaters from Walmart for about $20 apiece that solved the problem.

Ivylog

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using a 12V test light or a cheap meter you should be able to determine what each wire does...there are not that many functions. Heck, there is probably a Utube video on changing Tstats that would help you do this.
Last week I had to use my heat pumps as it was fairly cold in WPB...will have to run the AC today that put out the same amount of noise reguardless of which function. By running the bedroom unit during the day and vice verser at night...what noise.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dometic Heat Pump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS