Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Invention needed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Invention needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last week we had a couple of nights in the 20's and our electric heated water hose froze at the faucet. Some one needs to invent a waterproof mitten to protect the water faucet including the handle as one night the faucet handle could not be shut off because it was frozen open.....I got it thawed out and wrapped it with a towel covered with a velcro strap. I do not normally camp in the coldest months of the year but we had to attend a funeral. I am sure some one has a solution for the faucets freezing.....

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One winter at Xmas time we were in Las Cruses NM. It went down to freezing every night. All I had was a 5 gal pail full of crumpled up newspaper inverted over the faucet. Not the best but it worked. Mind you it wasn't bitter cold but I had too drain the white hose every night.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Already been done Bob. Its called an incendescent bulb, drop light and empty 5 gallon plastic bucket. Have used this trick for years in temps down into the teens with no freeze ups?

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So many different shapes and sizes for water outlet... Towel or buckets, or just don't forget to disconnect before you drift off.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Already been done Bob. Its called an incendescent bulb, drop light and empty 5 gallon plastic bucket. Have used this trick for years in temps down into the teens with no freeze ups?

What about those drippy faucets?? Water and Electricity do not mix.....

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our site has a bulb and a 5 gallon bucket. It's also obvious when it's on and they guy comes around and shuts them off.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our campers have always had a tank and a pump. When it's that cold the hose is put away and doesn't freeze.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob Vaughn wrote:

Some one needs to invent a waterproof mitten to protect the water faucet including the handle as one night the faucet handle could not be shut off because it was frozen open

Someone has invented it, and it is called a heat tape. They come in many different lengths- merely wrap it around the pipe to be protected and plug it in. Complete with a thermostat, it only turns on when temperatures approach freezing to prevent the water in the pipe from freezing.

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Bob Vaughn wrote:

Some one needs to invent a waterproof mitten to protect the water faucet including the handle as one night the faucet handle could not be shut off because it was frozen open

Someone has invented it, and it is called a heat tape. They come in many different lengths- merely wrap it around the pipe to be protected and plug it in. Complete with a thermostat, it only turns on when temperatures approach freezing to prevent the water in the pipe from freezing.

Wrong response.......I had my heated hose hooked up and on but the faucet was very close to the ground and the handle was exposed to the cold air and it froze.....Once it thawed and I wrapped it with a towel every thing was ok except the towel was sopping wet....

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When DW had a greenhouse that needed water all winter, I wrapped the heat tape around the hose AND around the faucet head/handle. Then I covered the faucet head/handle with a lot of newspaper to insulate it, then with a small garbage bag to waterproof it.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Invention needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS