Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Invention needed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Invention needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about one of these from Home Depot or Lowes?

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Campgrounds open in the winter often use frost proof valves. The actual valve sits a couple feet below the surface and only the activator is above ground.

Frost proof faucets work well, but only if you shut them off and unhook the hose so the water can drain back down below the frost line. Freezing temps are uncommon enough in northern Florida that you're not likely to find many campgrounds willing to make the investment in them.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

PamfromVA

Bedford County, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp in the winter all the time. Wrap the faucet in heat tape and cover with a survival blanket and wrap it up with a bungee cord. We also use a heated hose.

2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2015 Ford F250
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob Vaughn wrote:

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Bob Vaughn wrote:

Some one needs to invent a waterproof mitten to protect the water faucet including the handle as one night the faucet handle could not be shut off because it was frozen open

Someone has invented it, and it is called a heat tape. They come in many different lengths- merely wrap it around the pipe to be protected and plug it in. Complete with a thermostat, it only turns on when temperatures approach freezing to prevent the water in the pipe from freezing.

Wrong response.......I had my heated hose hooked up and on but the faucet was very close to the ground and the handle was exposed to the cold air and it froze.....Once it thawed and I wrapped it with a towel every thing was ok except the towel was sopping wet....

I am sorry, but apparently you don't understand or I didn't make myself clear. The handle and possibly the pipe the handle is attached to froze because your heated water hose did not protect anything except that hose. There was no heat generated at the spigot or beyond into the ground, just the hose itself. Therefore, the water in the hose remained unfrozen, but the supply to the hose froze. A heat tape wrapped around that pipe and the spigot and handle would have prevented it from freezing just as your heated hose kept water in the hose only from freezing.

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They have already invented it. Its at 84 lumber. Go in and tell them you need a heated garage

Dennis Hoppert

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"and our electric heated water hose froze at the faucet"

Heck, I don't leave the water hose connected period. Use it only to fill the fresh tank...avoids lots of potential issues.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis12 wrote:

They have already invented it. Its at 84 lumber. Go in and tell them you need a heated garage

Kinda hard to move that from campground to campground........I have one at home.....

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A big shipping box (Corrugated paper) and a 100 watt caged lamp (Incascedant drop cord type use a rough service lamp in the drop cord)

Put the box over the hydrant. and the lamp inside but make sure it does not touch anything that can burn. Set it in a metal pie plate or some such

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Invention needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS