Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 5th Wheel or Toter or Class A (Diesel)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel or Toter or Class A (Diesel)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
JOS66

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Day Everyone

We are preparing to buy either a 5th Wheel, Class A or Toter. We are trying to decide which one to go with. Now I know this horse has been ridden to death, but I need some different points of view from people with experience. Feedback from RV owners that have owned both 5th Wheel and Class A and/or Toter would really be great as well.

To clear the air and simplify things, I have vast experience towing and handling both types of Setups. So dealing with all aspects of diesels (have owned many) and trailers (same thing but not 5th Wheels) are not an issue.

What I really need help and testimonies for is your experience with either or both. The Pros and Cons and What would you do different.

Before my wife and I spend such a large amount of money, I want to hear from the RV Community that is dealing with and living in these things everyday.

Here are our details:

1. 3 people (2 adults / 1 (16) year old) and 1-2 Pups traveling
2. Will do mostly 1-4 week trips. But may do 2-4 month trips.
3. Prefer Heavy Duty with all trailers and vehicles
4. I have experience with RVing
5. Thinking about taking a Golf Cart or ATV or 2 Dirt Bikes (not on top of list)
6. Traveling Nation wide and into Canada

Please also tell us your preferred 5th Wheel or Motor Home (Class A or Toter) and the reason why it is your preferred.

Thanks so much in advance. I pray that everyone has a Blessed 2018!!!!

* This post was edited 01/11/18 11:47am by JOS66 *

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5. Thinking about taking a Golf Cart or ATV or 2 Dirt Bikes (not on top of list)

With this restriction, you need to consider a 5er or a TT toy hauler. This way you have a run around vehicle and tow vehicle, somewhere to live (and will require separation from the run-around vehicle), and a garage for the 'toys'.

Motor Homes with garages are very scarce, and then you'd need to tow another vehicle, or use an auto trailer to bring the "toed" along so it will be off the ground.

For your situation, I'd vote for the 5er Toy Hauler. They make nice lofts in some for the kids, and the garage area can also be equipped with bunks.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like TTs fifth wheels top the list if your going to park for a few days or more at a time. Motor homes are better suited if your moving every day or two. Motor homes dictate a toad to get around. Meaning two drive trains to maintain. Motor homes are probably the most expensive RV to purchase and maintain. Motor homes still need maintenance even when parked. Fifth wheels unless its a toy hauler dont offer anyplace for toys. Fifth wheels need a lot more truck to tow them.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd look at fifth wheel toy hauler options for your purposes.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

lee worsdell

elmvale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toy hauler all the way ,you have lots of space for the bikes,lots of sleeping arrangements

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen a Class A with an hydraulic lift on the back for a motorcycle. The towed was a pickup with a quad in the back. The clas A was a DP. For exampleLook here

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Bowti

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like you should be looking at a Toy hauler. I don't know if it is just me, but I seem to see more and more of these on the road today.
The reason could be that they are making the garages more of a duel purpose room, to the point that they hardly look like garages. They are more of a secondary living area with even the door reverting to a sun deck.

ToddD

Philadelphia, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pipeman wrote:

I have seen a Class A with an hydraulic lift on the back for a motorcycle. The towed was a pickup with a quad in the back. The clas A was a DP. For exampleLook here

Whoa, I like that, never thought of a combo like that.

But, why not just skip to a full size trailer and do this:

[image]

* This post was edited 01/11/18 06:09pm by ToddD *

Todd

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ToddD wrote:

Pipeman wrote:

But, why not just skip to a full size trailer and do this:

That is one magnificent set up there! Wow! I can't imagine how much $$$ is invested into that arrangement!

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have owned 2 motorhomes, one gas for 2 years, one a 40' dp for 7 years, 5 fifth wheels and 2 pop-ups since the early 70's. Wallet wise, fifth wheels don't empty it quite as quickly. A whole lot less moving parts. Most folks say a motorhome for traveling and a fifth wheel for staying. For us not so. We frequently take trips that require moving every few days and it is just not a big deal if you have auto leveling and a quality hitch. Yes, you can't get the wife to get you a sandwich but you can pack one in a cooler in the back seat. The driver can't go the bathroom without stopping in either but you do have to go outside with a fifth wheel which may be a big deal to some but not us. I would vote for a toy hauler.

JimT
2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM, 2017 Ford F350 King Ranch, 6.7 PS, 4X4 dually

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel or Toter or Class A (Diesel)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS