cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing through Atlanta

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone ever towed down I-85 through Atlanta? It will save me a bunch of time to go through Atlanta, in theory. That traffic is awful. I need to go just South of downtown and going around is out of the way by a long shot.

I don't much like to even drive it, much less tow through there.
20 REPLIES 20

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I wonder if going through any big city in the middle of the night might be the easiest way to do it?

No need to "wonder".

Problem is: Most people are in the habit of SLEEPING AT 2AM.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Sort of, and will avoid it like the plague if ever possible. I was on I75 heading to Florida and will try every feasible alternate route if I go that way again.

It seemed every driver thought if there was 100ft between me and the vehicle up ahead that it was a slot for them to slide into. GGGRRRRR!!!!! "Hey idiot, don't you know you just put your little Prius right in line with 10 tons of rolling mass". I think I said that a couple hundred times.

Six or seven car lengths is an appropriate slot to slip into. You had approximately 200 Prii slip into a 100ft space in front of you in one trip through Atlanta? That's unbelievable.
We go through Atlanta whenever we go to Tennessee or Kentucky and back. It's just traffic. Flow with it and have patience. It's your trip. You make a conscious decision to make it miserable or pleasurable. I like the view of the city every time.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I once drove out of Minneapolis at 2am and could not believe how light the traffic was. That and all the lights were green. I wonder if going through any big city in the middle of the night might be the easiest way to do it?

Joannadanna
Explorer
Explorer
Drove through ATL on my first trip bringing my new Airstream home to Alabama. Iโ€™m a natural thrill seeker by way of reference and Iโ€™ll never make that route mistake again. It was end of weekend rush hour and it felt like driving through Central America with no laws or limits. Gained a few gray hairs on that trip!
โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”
Current: 2018 Airstream 23CB Travel Trailer
Past: 2007 Northern Lite Truck Camper
2006 Camp Inn Teardrop Trailer
Tow beast: Bessie my beloved 2007 2500 Dodge Ram

barko1
Explorer
Explorer
Going through is better most times. All the semi's are on 285, go early or plan to hit it between 10 -3. Early means 6.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest problem with going straight through is when you get near the Henry County line. Always seems to be a huge traffic jam right after 285 dumps on 75. We now go around via 26, Clinton, and Wrens. Or get off at 19S. We go this way to Tallahassee several times a year.
We really prefer the highways over the interstate. All it takes is one idjit to cause an hour or more delay.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just go straight through, pick a middle lane, and be patient. Normally it is not to bad, but you never know when a wreck will happen. I live of of 85 south.

Where are you camping down here?
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Straight through towing or not.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just go straight through. Study your lanes and make your moves early. No problem at all. Just go straight through.

Atl is much different at 11 PM than 3 PM. So it really depends on when you go.

Thanks!

Thanks!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moderator wrote:
Atlanta is tricky right now; with all the construction taking place on the north side on I75. If you can hit Atlanta between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Go straight through on "I-85" non rush hour. You will be 10 miles from the construction that does not affect traffic other than the lower speed limits that no one obeys.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone through Atlanta many times over the years and never heโ€™d a problem. I stay off the loop and go straight down 75/85.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I'd drive clear to Alabama to avoid Atlanta. We had a truck yard there and they would release freight at 415 PM. Had to do the Creeep and Crawl all the way to Chatanooga.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that staying on I 75 thru Atlanta is a lot easier than taking any of the bypasses. You have to remember everybody and their brother lives around Atlanta and as a result all the traffic is on the bypasses. Yes, I75 gets bad but Iโ€™ve never thought it to be as bad as the bypasses. Just as stated earlier, timing is everything.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you plan an alternate route you just have to cowboy up and do it.

Rarely is there alternate route that is quicker. However, road construction never seems to work out for us.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.