Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: When did boondocking become weird?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> When did boondocking become weird?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Next
ohhell10339

Missoula

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always thought RVs were supposed to be self-sufficient; that they had water tanks and generators and waste tanks so that you could use them to go camping wherever you wanted and be independent. Now, apparently that's so oddball that it requires a label: "boondocking." Shouldn't that be the default setting for an RV? Why this feeling that one should end every day comfortingly hooked up to water/sewer/power/cable/piped-in oxygen, just like the home that you should probably never have left?

It seems to me that this feeling that you need to be plugged into the grid every moment that you're not actually moving is what enables all those shysters to sell a 100 square foot slab of concrete with a sewer outlet, electrical plug, and water spigot for the price of a hotel room (or more!!!). I honestly cannot fathom staying at one of those places any more than maybe once a week, when you can dump, flush, launder, and recharge everything. That might be worth the horrible expense. But otherwise, if you convince yourself you can't live without all those umbilical cords, even for a few days, then really, what's the point of even having an RV? Why not just drive a car and stay in hotels?

I guess my question is, when did this all happen? I know that in my college camping days, "boondocking" was the norm. At some point, which I obviously didn't catch, "camping" turned from parking your 23-footer out in the national forest for the weekend--no hookups--to paying $110 a night to park your 45-foot Behemoth Industries Luxury Cruiser at Slab Heaven RV Resort and essentially duplicating the experience of living at home.

What happened, exactly? When did boondocking start being weird?

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see you know the difference between camping and rv'ing. [emoticon]

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5-vers haven't come with generators for a long time if ever and the same for TT. Class A's and I assume Class C's have gensets.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ohhell10339 wrote:

I always thought RVs were supposed to be self-sufficient; that they had water tanks and generators and waste tanks so that you could use them to go camping wherever you wanted and be independent. Now, apparently that's so oddball that it requires a label: "boondocking." Shouldn't that be the default setting for an RV? Why this feeling that one should end every day comfortingly hooked up to water/sewer/power/cable/piped-in oxygen, just like the home that you should probably never have left?

It seems to me that this feeling that you need to be plugged into the grid every moment that you're not actually moving is what enables all those shysters to sell a 100 square foot slab of concrete with a sewer outlet, electrical plug, and water spigot for the price of a hotel room (or more!!!). I honestly cannot fathom staying at one of those places any more than maybe once a week, when you can dump, flush, launder, and recharge everything. That might be worth the horrible expense. But otherwise, if you convince yourself you can't live without all those umbilical cords, even for a few days, then really, what's the point of even having an RV? Why not just drive a car and stay in hotels?

I guess my question is, when did this all happen? I know that in my college camping days, "boondocking" was the norm. At some point, which I obviously didn't catch, "camping" turned from parking your 23-footer out in the national forest for the weekend--no hookups--to paying $110 a night to park your 45-foot Behemoth Industries Luxury Cruiser at Slab Heaven RV Resort and essentially duplicating the experience of living at home.

What happened, exactly? When did boondocking start being weird?

I'm with you!

I'm thinking it really happened when the first wave of baby boomers started retiring. Those are the age people I see with the fanciest RVs.

The other group is older millenials who can't do without their toys.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

huachuca

Tarboro, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the campendium website quite a bit to find our camping spots. It’s a great reference for locating those out of the way spots we enjoy but I’m always amazed when a reviewer knocks one of these sites due to poor cell phone reception. Why are they there in the first place?

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People want different things. A lot of people get an RV because they don't like sleeping in hotel beds. Some get them to travel distance with all the ammenities and then they'll rent a place when they get to their destination. Some want to go camping but not have to sleep on the ground. Some want to live cheaply. Some want to "live freely". And the list goes on.

I dry camp mostly. I go to primitive national forest campgrounds and use my RV as a glorified tent. I don't have a generator, microwave, tv, hair dryer, satelite, etc. I do cook with my RV stove just like I used to with a camp stove. My one "splurge" is my oven, which I use a lot.

But, I can see using it differently if I were going on a sightseeing trip. It would be a comfortable "hotel room" without my having to pack a suitcase. And I could reduce money spent on hotsls by cooking my own meals.

Oh, and dry camping and boondocking are different things. Boondocking is also known by the term dispersed camping. It's setting up camp in the wilderness outside of an established campground. Dry camping is simply going without hookups. You can dry camp and not be boondocking, but if you boondock, you are dry camping.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nobody's method of "RVing" is any better than anyone else's and it's pompous to suggest that whatever you do in your own case is better or somehow more correct than what another does.

Boondocking has never been weird or even special. It's just the definition of one type of RV use.
All uses fall under the heading or "RVing".

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Harvard

51.6N 114.7W

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have not seen anything yet, very soon we will be able to send our RVs on a trip without us [emoticon]

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/18 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like to call it Glamping.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/18 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

huachuca wrote:

... I’m always amazed when a reviewer knocks one of these sites due to poor cell phone reception...

Maybe we should all do that! Wink-wink nod-nod. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> When did boondocking become weird?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS