Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: When did boondocking become weird?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

 > When did boondocking become weird?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/12/18 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

My last trip, the gps took me into nowhere land. I ended up parking by a lake (I had no idea where I was) at dusk and hoping there'd be people around tomorrow.
Yikes!

I've had a few of those learning experiences.. like getting stuck in sand or pulling off on a soft shoulder and sinking to the axles. Not fun, but makes a good story.


Definitely good stories. [emoticon]

Having a 42 year old rig has helped deal when this stuff does happen. I had several years with an intermittant starting issue - never knew when it wouldn't start or for how long. So, when things start looking dire, I usually just say "go take a hike, go to bed, etc., then see what happens when you get back/wake up.

Back when I had the tt, I got the Durango stuck in loam to the axels. Cost me 3 hundred bucks to watch it go bounce bounce bounce over the forest and out of the loam as a repair service guy pulled it out with his truck. Can't imagine trying that with a motorhome.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

aguablanco

Mesa, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 09/12/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/12/18 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another way to look at it is the way we do it. Our "second home" has wheels, and no fixed address. We travel to see sights and make memories. Sometimes we dry camp and sometimes we don't. When we do camp at FHU site they are considerably cheaper than hotels and we get our own bed and cook our own meals, usually for less than $40/ night. I will never understand why some people feel they have a right to an opinion about how I live and recreate. You do your thing and I'll do mine.
RichH


2012 Silverado 5.3L 6 Speed
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

2oldman

Orland

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/12/18 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I got the Durango stuck in loam to the axels. Cost me 3 hundred bucks...
Happened to me on the west side of the Great Salt Lake. I got so lucky..as I was making the call to ERS, some Mexicans happened by in their pickups and pulled me and the 5er out. It was quite a stuggle...they were burning rubber on the road. I've had a good feeling about our neighbors to the south ever since.

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/12/18 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I got the Durango stuck in loam to the axels. Cost me 3 hundred bucks...
Happened to me on the west side of the Great Salt Lake. I got so lucky..as I was making the call to ERS, some Mexicans happened by in their pickups and pulled me and the 5er out. It was quite a stuggle...they were burning rubber on the road. I've had a good feeling about our neighbors to the south ever since.


Lucky! Yeah, I've had some good folks help me out and see people in a different light.

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/12/18 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Maybe some of us should venture out and try using our RVs in new-to-us ways. We just might surprise ourselves and begin to enjoy it!

toedtoes wrote:

I know you do more boondocking than I do, but I think my camping is more primitive than yours is (as in power consumption). I've found that my power consumption is actually less than most tent campers.


I doubt that we do more boondocking than you do. We probably do more drycamping in State and National Parks than boondock camping and we probably do more boonparking than boondocking..

Our boonparking is mostly out in the middle of nowhere looking for rocks during the day ... and we do it when and where we have to regardless of the temperatures. We have spent time exploring and boonparking in Texas Panhandle summer heat and Wyoming High Desert summer heat. For this kind of RV use we need the air conditioning for the dog while we're away from the RV and for our comfort when we return to the RV.

With this type of spontaneous use of our RV we MUST have full capability in the RV at all times. We used both the rooftop and cab A/C at the same time in the Texas Panhandle and have used the built-in generator to dry the dog when drycamping. We kindof have to be ready for anything whenever we're out and about with the RV, and aren't particularly hung up and any one style of camping or RV parking location.

We could not get by with only solar panel battery replenishment and we use hookups off and on. We live in the RV about the same way with or without hookups.


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

DiskDoctr

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2006

View Profile



Posted: 01/12/18 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I've always looked at it as 2 basic definitions:

Camping - the purpose is to be out in the wilderness
RVing - the purpose is to travel and see the sights

How you do either is up to you as an individual. I had a book as a young child called "father's big improvements". The story was set in the early 1900s and the father brought in one invention after another to the household: electricity, running water, etc. After all the improvements he took the family on a vacation. Grandma came along and father called it camping. As they dragged water from the creek, used a hole in the ground for business, cooked over the fire, etc., Grandma said "why would you think this is a vacation?"

I always remembered that as it makes so much sense. Why must we give up the improvements to have fun outdoors? Why does "roughing it" have to be part of camping? Well, it doesn't. We can have as much or as little as we want.


We finally see eye to eye on something! Good post [emoticon]

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/12/18 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiskDoctr wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I've always looked at it as 2 basic definitions:

Camping - the purpose is to be out in the wilderness
RVing - the purpose is to travel and see the sights

How you do either is up to you as an individual. I had a book as a young child called "father's big improvements". The story was set in the early 1900s and the father brought in one invention after another to the household: electricity, running water, etc. After all the improvements he took the family on a vacation. Grandma came along and father called it camping. As they dragged water from the creek, used a hole in the ground for business, cooked over the fire, etc., Grandma said "why would you think this is a vacation?"

I always remembered that as it makes so much sense. Why must we give up the improvements to have fun outdoors? Why does "roughing it" have to be part of camping? Well, it doesn't. We can have as much or as little as we want.


We finally see eye to eye on something! Good post [emoticon]


OMG! Quick buy a lottery ticket! [emoticon][emoticon]

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

Senior Member

Joined: 09/29/2011

View Profile



Posted: 01/13/18 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like that part toedtoes. Why does roughing it have to be part of the camping experience? It doesn't [emoticon] [emoticon] We camp in our RV every time. We camp at private cgs with full hookups, we camp in state parks with partial hookups, we camp at Federal with no hookups and all this is camping to me. I don't need to name it any further....and like another said, you camp to your ability, judgement and desire on what one can handle. I don't see camping and rv'ing any different at all. Your camping definition handles all what we do in our RV [emoticon] We camp in our rv all the time time and when I say this, guess what, the sky has not fallen! HA HA

goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/13/18 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JMHO here so take it for what it's worth. If you're driving a Prevost and setup in an RV resort, you're not camping.
If you're driving any vehicle and you setup a tent somewhere, thats camping.
All points in between are debatable.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

Senior Member

Joined: 09/29/2011

View Profile



Posted: 01/13/18 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

JMHO here so take it for what it's worth. If you're driving a Prevost and setup in an RV resort, you're not camping.
If you're driving any vehicle and you setup a tent somewhere, thats camping.
All points in between are debatable.

just curious, why does it have to be that way only?

I mean I tent camped, truck camper camped and now I camp in my rv. Sometimes in luxury resorts and sometimes boondocking by a lake.

what does it truly matter? In real sense, what does a definition truly matter?

but of course, if it matters to you personally and it makes it 'all feel right' to you to define it 'one way' then I guess it is cool [emoticon] [emoticon]

So any rv'ing is never camping unless one has a tent?? HA HA
not arguing, just laughing about why we have to define it all I guess [emoticon] [emoticon]

The world must have definitions to make people feel safe and secure and fit into a category I guess! I assume that is the way and has to be that way for many.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

 > When did boondocking become weird?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS