Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: When did boondocking become weird?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> When did boondocking become weird?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next
BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see having my trailer set up for boondocking as opening up the maximum possibilities. Sure, I can pull into a full service site and hook up. It's equally easy for me to pull off into a dry lake bed and join my friends for a boondocking Thanksgiving. In between are the vast array of forest service campgrounds, COE campgrounds, state and national parks, and random pull outs on dirt roads.

Why limit yourself? Learn to use your rig as the amazing self contained vehicle it is, and enjoy.

2011 F150 towing a Nash 22H

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do like having different terms for sightseeing travel with an RV (RVing) and camping with an RV (camping) if only because it helps to know how a person is planning on using the RV when offering advice and/suggestions. Same with "dry camping" and "hookups".

I know my use of my RV makes many suggestions and recommendations by some posters not necessary or particularly beneficial for me. But if I used my RV differently, those suggestions abd recommendations would be spot on.

So definitions are helpful when they are defining a way of usage.

They are not so helpful when they have no purpose other than to separate this group from that group.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had a tent I used to camp, now that I have a trailer I boondock. [emoticon]

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahhh, very true toedtoes....I like that. WHY and HOW do ya want to camp can make a huge diff. in the rig ya buy so that 'definition' of what do you personally want to do makes sense in a way to me.

good post cause 'helping some thru their seen definitions of how to camp' can draw them to the right rig or such and then ya hit the nail on the head, why limit or define after that point? [emoticon] cool post~!

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Frankly, I like meeting new people. Boondocking, to me, is for the anti-social loner. Not my style.

I'm rather insulted by this. I love boondocking because it gets me closer to nature than any site in an RV park ever could. I have many interactions with people in my everyday life, but not enough contact with all the things nature has in store for me like birds, flowers, the sound of the wind in the trees, the clouds, the sound of a babbling brook. No cell service? No big deal. We often have found ourselves places where no one could reach us. Ahhhh! [emoticon]

toedtoes wrote:

I've always looked at it as 2 basic definitions:

Camping - the purpose is to be out in the wilderness
RVing - the purpose is to travel and see the sights

Gee, and here we've been camping all these years to see the sights. [emoticon] Every summer, we travel all over the western US to see various National Parks or other scenic attractions. We try to camp in those parks when possible and in NFS CG's in between.

Actually we rarely boondock anymore when we are travelling more than 200 or 300 miles away from home, unless we know the area well. In recent years, we've had a variety of experiences boondocking and found ourselves near groups intent on partying all night. Or having neighbors closer than we do at home. There are so many people boondocking here in Colorado and in nearby Utah, seemingly everyone knows the good spots to go. Yeah, I have a few places many haven't found yet, but every year, that list shrinks. [emoticon] NFS CG's have gotten to be our go to camping spots.

I will say that we have only stayed at a private RV park twice in all our years, only because there were no other options.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I've always looked at it as 2 basic definitions:

Camping - the purpose is to be out in the wilderness
RVing - the purpose is to travel and see the sights

Gee, and here we've been camping all these years to see the sights. [emoticon] Every summer, we travel all over the western US to see various National Parks or other scenic attractions. We try to camp in those parks when possible and in NFS CG's in between.

Actually, I find that rather fits in my definitions. You're camping to see the sights of the wilderness rather than to see the sights of a city or urban area. [emoticon]

Seriously, my only purpose for my definitions is to provide a way to differentiate between how the use of the RV might differ between users not to tell someone they're doing it wrong. Over the years, I've had a lot of folks make suggestions as to what I need for my RV - and many of those things are not of use to me because my use of my RV differs from their use of their RV. Realizing that people want different things can help fine tune to what will be useful for you.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing this thread proves is we are all a little different with varying styles and opinions.

The absurdity of this thread is that some people are offended that others are different. [emoticon]

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2oldman

Orland

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

The absurdity of this thread is that some people are offended that others are different.
Things have been that way my entire life.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find boondocking much less work and much more enjoyable.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/18 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boondocking is considered weird? That's a new one on me. I've been "camping" on public lands for over 40 years and always referred to it as boondocking if we were not in a FS CG. Besides, who cares what other's think. I'm rather proud to camp in such wonderful locations free of charge.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> When did boondocking become weird?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS