Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: oil change
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> oil change

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 04:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get the gen serviced and engine once per year at a Cummins Coach Care facility. All filters including fuel, oil, lube job and bumper to bumper inspection run me 638.00. Last year the tech found a bolt had vibrated out of the engine a/c mount. While it had not gave me any indications of trouble it would not have made it another year with out causing some woes on the road. This includes coolant check as well. I do all my other oil, fuel changes myself on my other vehicles including the tractors but accessing all the zerk fittings, and getting to all the filters on the dp are a bit challenging and unsafe. I just prefer having an expert to do it.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a guy in the shop last week during the cold snap here. Cheaped out on chassis Mx for a couple of years. Just changed the oil and filter himself. One of his fuel filters (the one that is hard to reach) was totally plugged with gelled fuel and algae. Stored the coach with 1/8 tank, then started it up to head for FL. Made it about 15 miles before the engine started bucking.

He was in the shop for 6 hours at $140 an hour, plus 2 fuel filters, an air filter and 32 quarts of Rotella and an oil filter. Like the old commercial says; pay me now or pay me later.

If you're going to do your own maintenance, make sure you do all of it.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

We had a guy in the shop last week during the cold snap here. Cheaped out on chassis Mx for a couple of years. Just changed the oil and filter himself. One of his fuel filters (the one that is hard to reach) was totally plugged with gelled fuel and algae. Stored the coach with 1/8 tank, then started it up to head for FL. Made it about 15 miles before the engine started bucking.

He was in the shop for 6 hours at $140 an hour, plus 2 fuel filters, an air filter and 32 quarts of Rotella and an oil filter. Like the old commercial says; pay me now or pay me later.

I agree completely. To add to this,if you are looking to buy a coach from someone that does their own maintenance, make sure that you have it inspected first by a QUALIFIED mechanic, just to make sure that everything has been done, and done correctly.
This may save you a $10,000 bill that I received after a seller left something loose. I made it 260 miles before the problem showed up.
I worked on my own airplanes and if you do your own maintenance on your RV, do it like your life depends on it

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

jplante4 wrote:

I agree completely. To add to this,if you are looking to buy a coach from someone that does their own maintenance, make sure that you have it inspected first by a QUALIFIED mechanic, just to make sure that everything has been done, and done correctly.
This may save you a $10,000 bill that I received after a seller left something loose. I made it 260 miles before the problem showed up.
I worked on my own airplanes and if you do your own maintenance on your RV, do it like your life depends on it

I agree totally. A few years back after Coach Care serviced my dp and I had returned home, I brought it over to the garage to pack for an upcoming trip. I noticed it was down on the left rear drastically. After looking it over I found a clamp has slipped off the linkage to the air bag and the bag was not inflating. I raised the rear with the hyd jacks and place 4x4's along the length of the trailing arms. I then lowered till it was resting on the 4x4's. I could barely get enough of my body to the linkage to slip it back together an then put a new clamp on. I called Coach Care and because they felt they had missed it during the service they asked me to bring it back to them. They readjusted the ride heights and put all new clamps on and did not charge me a cent. It pays to have a relationship with good company in my honest opinion.

2oldman

Burley ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somehow I don't think the OP was looking for DIY costs.

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2

Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$300 @ Speedco. Includes filters, oil and fuel, lube and radiator check... as you can see from the above posts, though, each one seems to differ in what maintenance you are doing. Some engines require 15qts/oil, some 28. Mine takes 32. It's worth it to me to let someone else do the work. Draining 32 qts of oil means I'd have to drain it probably 8 times to complete it, move those 32 qts 32 old milk jugs, then cart them to the recycle center. Not really time nor labor efficient. I'd rather play golf, cards, play on the computer or take a nap, which I can do while they're changing my oil...[emoticon].....Dennis

THE WORLD IS CHANGED BY YOUR EXAMPLE, NOT BY YOUR OPINIONS
Dennis and Debi Ninth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2oldman

Burley ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

It's worth it to me to let someone else do the work.
x2. Changing generator oil is messy enough.. I don't need gallons of it!

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just beware of Speedco's "up charges" that they don't run by you until the bill is tallied up. Ran up my bill to over $400.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

janstey58 wrote:

Just beware of Speedco's "up charges" that they don't run by you until the bill is tallied up. Ran up my bill to over $400.

Never had them do that. They always ask before doing anything to the coach. You have to witness them torquing the drain plug. I've even been invited to go into the pit with them to look underneath the rig. Perhaps different locations have different rules, dunno. One should always be vigilant....Dennis

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> oil change
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS