cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Benefits of drinking pulque

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Just read an article on the benefits of drinking pulque done at the Universidad Mixteca in Oaxaca under laboratory conditions.

They found that the pulque helps in digesting food and has antibacterial properties and helps with the stomac and intestine ensimes and good bacterias, it also helps when eating food that is in the begining stages of decomp by neutralizing the the bacteria that cause illness "Moctezumas revenge", so drink your pulque.

If you visit the town of Cholula in the State of Puebla on the South side of the biggest piramid in the world there is a mural dedicated to the drinking of pulque "los bebedores de pulque", the mural is not open to the public in order to preserve it, when we breath out we also exhale a lot of humidity, ergo mold and dampness on the mural, they were covered by a later structure, you can see what the mural looks like in the museum across the street.

The pulque study found that there are variations in the diferent regions where pulque is produced, but all have the capacity to benefit the drinker.

Pulque is obtained from the maguey plant, there is unfermented pulque, fermented pulque and pulque curado, the last one has fruits in it, Mezcal and Tequila are considered high end pulques, not all magueyes are used in producing pulque every one is a little diferent in the production of "agua de los dioses" (water from the gods).

So a glass of pulque a day keeps Moctezuma away!

I try to give you guys visiting Mexico a few tidibits of what the country has to offer that are not generally known by the visiting folks.

navegator
11 REPLIES 11

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"Oooooo Ralph! There are way too many people at this taco stand. Let's go back to the one we saw earlier. It didn't have anyone"

"Eunice told me to always say you're rich -- or otherwise they won't respect you".

Honestly, when I am unfortunate enough to be where recently debarked cruise passengers are wandering, I feel like I am part of a museum diorama

(Brenda punches me in the shoulder. The girls howl...)

"Excuse me sir -- do you speak English?"

"Si"

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
A Mexicowanderer you are going to spoil the turistas.

You are giving away the secrets to "la vida loca".

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Authentic "cafe de la olla"

ka-FAY de la Oy-yah

is also not very well known to visitors. Today the brew is made by steeping almost ground to flour coffee beans in the foot of a nylon stocking in boiling hot water. Added and dissolved to the hot water is shaved-off-a-cone of molasses-rich brown sugar* and then a stick of authentic cinnamon is added to your clay cup as the brew is poured.

The stocking is pulled inside-out, washed, then put away for next time.

pee-loan-SEE-yoh piloncillo is far richer in molasses than packaged azugar mascabado (brown sugar).

And tangenting this even further, tourists sometimes do handsprings trying to find packaged brown sugar, walking right by stacks of six-inch cones of piloncillo. Shave piloncillo with a potato shredder. I know more than a few folks who never return to packaged brown sugar (C&H used to have DARK brown sugar which wasn't bad)

EL GUSANO de AGAVE is best eaten with a raw egg and a slop of very lively chili sauce - it's said that, followed by a big bowl of steaming menudo will cure the most severe case of cruda (hangover),

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, some two years ago I bought a fifth of Cuervo Silver. It claims to be imported. One step above the cheapest the big box had...

I used it to make margherita ice cream which was a hit at the office party.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
If you do not find "Pulque curado" in the big box store, do not fret the Mezcal from Oaxaca is made from from the "Espadin" agave plant and is refined into Mezcal.

So technically it is "Pulque" de alta calidad" (high quality Pulque), so relax and sip your "Mezcal Oaxaqueรฑo", and you do not have to pour some on the ground for the "rabit" he understans that you will be lying on the ground soon, just kidding.

A good Mezcal or a good Tequila is sipped as you would a good liquor, high end Tequila is not what is used fot the shots with the sal y limรณn, les expensive Tequila is used for that.

Try to get the Mezcal with the worm in it, the last one to get the bottom of the bottle gets to eat the worm!

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad,

I did read a university of Texas, official report about Pulque. The liquid (as does Agua Miel) contains surprising amounts of vitamins and minerals. Not some miracle hippie endorsed hoo-hah. The concentration of nutiriuents will not make the Guiness Book of World's Records per milliliter consumed. But it was and is assumed that a pint to a quart (liter) would be consumed daily.

Drinking a quart of pulque can be compared to swallowing a mild vitamin and mineral pill. For poor rural people that cannot consume a wide spectrum of healthy foods, pulque and agua miel is akin to a miracle.

Campesinos and rancheros with little income try and scrape by with next to nothing. I once stayed in the mountains of Oaxaca. Way rural. When shriveled tomatoes arrived at the tiny tienda it caused a commotion. The store was in reality a gathering place twice a week for regional bartering. Few people had money.

PS: Ant eggs made excellent bait to catch white bass. The people were astonished the fish were edible.They ended up cooking whole cleaned bass in a giant clay wok cooked to the point where meat, bones and all could be snapped into chunks like potato chips.

Just the finding of good young sweet pulque can be challenging. Most tourists are pawned "expired" sour pulque diluted with well water. Of course they didn't like it -- it's like comparing chicken roasted over glowing hardwood coals to Kentucky Fried Chicken, or Spam.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
All I know is that it was conducted at Universidad Tecnologica de la Mixteca (UTM) Oaxaca.

The students name is... Yesica Ruiz... masters thesis.

The article has been reviewed by the Sociedad Mexicana de Biotecnologia y Bioingenieria.

And also reviewed by Applikon Biotechnology.

It is a thesis proyect to study

"Potencial probiotico y produccion de peptidos antimicrobiarios in vitro de bacterias acido lacteas del Pulque"

Translation to last paragraph:

"Probiotic potential and production of antimicrobial peptides in vitro of the lacto acidic bacterias in the pulque"

That is all the information that I have, if you need more I would contact the University, I am not a Doctor, Biologist, Chemist, Nutriologist, I am just a bebedor de pulque.

After you have "una ensalada de salmonela, unos tacos de de botulismo y una agua de tifoidea", then you drink a glass of pulque at the pulqueria and you are good to go.

The art of making pulque may disappearing, since there are ants that live in the maguey or beneath and the eggs of the ants are what is called the "Mexican Caviar" unscrupulous persons tear up the maguey looking for the ants nests and destroy the plant some maguyes take many years to grow, oncde the nest and the plan are destroyed, no pulque, no ant caviar.

Yust drink your pulque, AKA "TEQUILA" OK!

navegator

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
Just read an article on the benefits of drinking pulque done at the Universidad Mixteca in Oaxaca under laboratory conditions.

I "assume" that that article was peer reviewed and published in a legit scientific journal.
bumpy

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
For years on end I passed a Pulqueria signed

"El Higado No Existe (The Liver Does Not Exist)"

On Mex 57 in the early summer you may find young men standing on the shoulder of the highway selling "pulque" before it has a chance to ferment.
It is called Agua Miel and it is delicious. Finding fresh pulque, young and sweet is not the easiest task as supplies are limited and customers have spoken for the next batch. Pulque that goes on to be a week old can be quite sour.

If a miracle happens and you find yourself surrounded by Mexican friends drinking pulque it is customary to slop a bit on the floor to honor the pulque god -- 400 rabbit.

Another fermented drink is Tuba. It is found mainly on the coast where there are lots of palms. Tuba is fermented palm sap. It is customary to have a handful of peanuts tossed into the Tuba. Tuba is more potent than Pulque about the same as wine. Caution should be used if you're driving.

I will neglect to mention Sotol, fermented pine sap.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'll check but I doubt I'll find it in the "International" isle at the big box grocery.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Talleyho69
Love it and agree!