cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Tailgate with Insert

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of a reputable source for a good 5th wheel tailgate, where a center insert is available to close off the opening for security? I have seen the plastic Stromberg Carlson ones, but prefer a metal tailgate. There are some Custom Flow units on Amazon, but none for my 2016 F250.
My wife and I have discussed the pros and cons of the louvered tailgates, and have decided to go ahead with one, just to have the maximum security and flexibility. I am the type of person that will damage my stock tailgate sooner or later if I try to leave it on while hitching. Thanks!
Will
2016 F250
2018 KZ Sportsmen Sportster 311TH10
11 REPLIES 11

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks bpounds for the pictures. I hope I can find a Custom Flow unit, it looks great. I have't heard from Makario's yet and need to check back with them.

And thanks to Dtank for the alert on stolen tailgates. Living here in quiet small town Indiana I don't think of tailgate theft, but it would be a good idea to lock the tailgate itself on when in dubious territory.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
when I was looking for a tailgate - I had found *one* mgr who
made a gate with a removable matching insert (not the one shown by a poster).

Unfortunately, it's been a while - don't recall the mgr.

BTW - You can make your own insert (cheap & easy) not locking, but will keep your treasures out of sight.

Stock (factory) tailgates:
Besides the obvious "handy" features, one of the main reasons to go to an aftermarket TG (in the past) was factory "non-locking".
Major non-traceable, high demand, EASY theft item!

Be sure you are happy with whatever security measures you have for your factory gate.
Factory TGs = *WAY* more valuable to thieves - than the stuff in the bed!
Replacements may still cost you serious $ - *after* ins deductible.

๐Ÿ˜‰

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I have the Customflow. Very pleased with it.

Also have the Vee insert. I've only used it a couple of times. Not worth the $150 in my opinion. It does the job, but is poorly designed. Takes longer to install than it does to just swap tailgates. But if you think you will be towing your fiver somewhere, and then need to close the Vee off while you are touring around, you might want one. That's the only situation where it makes sense to me. Looks nice when installed.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Rolland. I hadn't thought of the visibility factor when not towing, that's a good point. Since I am taking my time hopefully I can find a used one at a good price.
Will

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve got a Cuatom Flow Iโ€™ve had for a number of years and am happy with it. Got it free from a buddy who changed trucks. It has held up well and I like the ease of hooking up without lowering it each time. I seriously doubt there is a signifivpcant MPG gain. The best part of the notch is the ability to see vehicles that are right behind you, especially when parking.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, thanks for the replies. Here is what I have found:
I called Dee Zee and they no longer make the 5th wheel tailgates. Darn.
To answer HBillSmith regarding the rear view camera, Husky Liners does have a rear view camera bracket available for their tailgate, but they don't have the insert to close the center opening. I could probably make an insert without much trouble.
Thanks to md_procouple for the suggestion of the Stromberg Carlson, but as far as I've found the ones with the lock and center insert are plastic.
Rhagflo mentioned the Custom Flow models that look good. Does anyone have experience with CarID? The reviews I have seen of them are mixed at best.
Makario's RV lists the Custom Flow on their site. I phoned them and they are very helpful. They are checking with the manufacturer.
I think for now I'll follow Donn0128's lead and keep the stock tailgate on and just be careful. I have a nice bed cover on the way (Pace Edwards Switchblade) which should be a nice combo.
Thanks
Will

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Been towing for 13 years with a stock tailgate. No problem so far. No luck involved. Just need to learn a routine. With a locking bed cover I have the best of both worlds. Security and convenience

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Might this work?

https://www.carid.com/custom-flow/elite-series-5th-wheel-tailgate.html

I managed to find a Custom Flow for my 2001 Ram on Craigโ€™s List, For $100 love the fact it is steel, and can stand on it with the hitch sitting on it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Stromberg /Carlson does make a locking louvered tailgate for your truck, because of the year of your truck you may want to call them. I put one on our truck last year and love it. It makes backing up to your 5'er so easy. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
dont you lose your rear camera when you do that?
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dee Zee's makes one with optional metal powdered coated insert. Not sure IF they do for your F250

LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31