cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quality of the roads in the Maritime provinces

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of visiting Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI this summer. A friend who is also an RVer told us that many of the roads were cinder and of poor quality. I have not heard this before. Have any of you had issues taking your rigs there. We have a 37' fifth wheel. Thanks in advance for your help.
7 REPLIES 7

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much, you have been most helpful. I truly appreciate all the comments, they will help us plan our route.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:
Your friend may have been thinking of the road that goes around the Gaspe Peninsula.

We traveled that road last September, every mile of it. Beautiful route, great road, lots of places to pull over.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I think Edatlanta is closest to the mark.

& there is the speed that you choose to drive!!!! Speed limits are posted for a reason.

The major highways can get 'upgraded' with diverse federal $ help. Less so the secondary roads. I can't say the 3 provinces do things alike, ie. shoulders on 2ndary roads. Lots of those were first built in early colonial days, when often boats were used more than roads. Actually, those have the best scenery in seeing how things were done in earlier years.

Then of course, I can compare these roads in these provinces to the secondary roads in just about every state, though, mind you I haven't been in all states. Suffice it to say you guys are just as human as we are.

๐Ÿ˜›
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on your definition of good road. We were out there last Fall in a short wheelbase class A gasser, pulling a Wrangler, and we'll never do that again. I can see where someone driving out there in a car, or pickup truck, or other smaller vehicle (class C on an E350/E450 chassis maybe?) might think the roads were OK, but doing it in a vehicle on a Ford F53 chassis was not a pleasant experience. A couple of times I thought were going to do damage to the chassis, the roads were so rough.
I would give the infrastructure out there a C to a D in most places we traveled. We crossed into New Brunswick at Houlton, ME, then across south east towards Nova Scotia, then back out and northwards along the Gulf coast to Gaspe, and back out through Edmunston, and then south and exited at point of entry. Mostly on their highways, except for stopping for breaks, sightseeing, and rest.
That trip headed south towards South Carolina a few days later, and I wouldn't say we saw any consistently good roads/freeways until we got south of Virginia.
It may have been luck of the draw, but that's our experience.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I traveled through a lot of New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia two months ago and found the roads excellent. We were in a car and used a lot of very secondary roads for the sight seeing benefits and most all of these were fine. There were a few sections that were gravel, but all were hard and smooth. I would say that the roads we traveled were as good or better than what we have in Alabama and better in a lot of cases. I tow a 35' fifth wheel, just not on this trip.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Your friend may have been thinking of the road that goes around the Gaspe Peninsula.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We were there last year. The roads were in decent shape. They were well paved, good shoulders, and great signing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker