Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Sales person/RV dealership recommendations?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Sales person/RV dealership recommendations?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
JandVcruise2018

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a busy work schedule and limited time. I live in Santa Rosa, CA. My wife and I are looking at 5ers. With so many RV places, most at least 2 hours away, it will take a long time for us to see lots of selection. And I can already tell how shady the business is. I have been in the auto body business 10 years and have worked for several auto dealerships so its not an unfamiliar experience. I just don't want to waste our valuable time going to the wrong places. I'll talk to anyone good. Even out of the area or state. Any suggestions?

malexander

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 03:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JandVcruise2018 wrote:

I have a busy work schedule and limited time. I live in Santa Rosa, CA. My wife and I are looking at 5ers. With so many RV places, most at least 2 hours away, it will take a long time for us to see lots of selection. And I can already tell how shady the business is. I have been in the auto body business 10 years and have worked for several auto dealerships so its not an unfamiliar experience. I just don't want to waste our valuable time going to the wrong places. I'll talk to anyone good. Even out of the area or state. Any suggestions?

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but. If you've "been in the business" and know how shady people are, you should be able to see this right away in a dealer/sales person.

And, if you're that short on time, how are you going to have time to use an RV?

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, 2007 Honda VTX 1300R, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Ventera. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start with the internet. Look for the "mom and pop" or family owned businesses. At least then you have a chance of getting to deal with someone who is personally invested in your transaction. See if they say anything on the site about their business model, do they price their units "out the door" or do they have numerous fees and upcharges that they add to the contract AFTER a price is agreed to? And yes check online reviews as well as the BBB rating.
Being the biggest doesn't mean being the best, Nobody ever accused McDonalds of having the greatest food in town.
Beyond that, it's largely based on gut feelings and your willingness to invest the time into researching the local dealers.
Happy motorin

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your best bet is to hit a show. Lots of models to compare all in the same place. There's one in Pleasanton this week.

Cal Shows

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course if you read reviews on the internet, they will always give great information. I did that and bought the best trailer from the greatest dealer around. The purchase turned out to be the absolute worse purchase decision of my life. You need to do the work and find the product that has the best possibility of meeting your expectations.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your interested in Northwood products, call Thunder RV in LaGrande,OR. They over the years have gotten good reviews. Also Apache Camping center in Portland has been good.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

IBcarguy

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also recommend going to the RV show in Pleasanton. Figure out what features you want, do your homework to select the make and model you are interested in. As far as dealers go, you'll be a lot better equipped to deal with them if you know exactly which rig you want. I've bought from 3 different dealers in northern CA and believe me, it wasn't a great experience at any of them, especially Best RV in Turlock. Terrible dealer.
Like others have said, this takes time and effort.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IBcarguy wrote:

I also recommend going to the RV show in Pleasanton. Figure out what features you want, do your homework to select the make and model you are interested in. As far as dealers go, you'll be a lot better equipped to deal with them if you know exactly which rig you want. I've bought from 3 different dealers in northern CA and believe me, it wasn't a great experience at any of them, especially Best RV in Turlock. Terrible dealer.
Like others have said, this takes time and effort.

Yep, Best RV has some of the best prices on the West Coast BUT they have a terrible after the sale reputation.
I also didn't like their sales tactics.

If you're comfortable doing your own warranty work, then you might want to check them out.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bluie5

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like kerrlakeRoo mentioned use the internet and search dealer inventory from home. That way you have an idea about what units dealers have on the lot to look at before driving a long way. You can probably find reviews about sales and services provided by the dealers.

2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

malexander wrote:

JandVcruise2018 wrote:

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but ...

... And, if you're that short on time, how are you going to have time to use an RV?

Yes you do mean to. He has limited time and is looking for suggestions, none of which you gave. Yes, he should be able to identify shady sales people, but that could only be done after meeting them in person, so therefore wasting time he doesn't have. And lastly, finding time to use an RV, it's called vacation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Sales person/RV dealership recommendations?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS