Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Hitch Head Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Hitch Head Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
RickeyS1

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have two different tow vehicles, and if so do you have a hitch head adjusted for each vehicle or do you adjust every time you swap/change vehicle. I have a equalizer hitch and just bought a new truck but may tow with either vehicle (which are way different). So was wondering what other people do.

Thanks,
Rick

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is a height difference between the two tow vehicles, you will probably want to get two hitch heads, each specific for the tow vehicle. The trailer height will never change, so the hitch head height will need to be adjusted (up or down) with a rise or fall in the shank so it's always level to the trailer hitch. Otherwise, if you use just the one, you'll need to make the adjustment every time you switch back and forth.

I think in time, you will probably end up towing with only one vehicle as the primary tow vehicle, and use the second one as a back-up only in case the primary vehicle is down for repair. If this is the case, then a second purchase is probably not necessary. However, if you are sharing the trailer with someone else and thus, the reason for 2 vehicles, then definitely get the correct height hitch head for each vehicle.

It's really your call, it's just a matter of convenience to have both so you don't have to unbolt everything and adjust every time you switch.

As for me, if I had 2 different tow vehicles .... yes... I'd get 2 hitch heads if the height was different between them. I have a utility trailer, and a specific hitch I use for it, as it's a fairly long drop-down. I have no problem getting the right tool for the right job, even if it's used only 1 time.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too much hassle to re-adjust each time you switch. Keep it simple and get a 2nd head.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax LBZ
Blue Ox SwayPro

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have just one adjustable hitch head and adjust it as necessary when switching tow vehicles. Pretty expensive hitch head cause its an Equal-I-zer. For a while I was loaning my TT to my son, so had a third adjustment to make for his '05 Dodge Ram. He's since bought one.
Don't mind it at all, I have all the big tools in the back of the Burb so they are easy to access.

1965 Chevy Van
1994 GMC Suburban

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP referred to his hitch as an "equalizer" but if it truly is an Equal-i-zer brand hitch then another potential issue is the head angle may have to be changed when switching from one vehicle to the other. Anyone who owns an Equal-i-zer knows this is a real PITA as it means pulling the head apart and changing the number of washers in the head, which in turn means having a torque wrench on hand that will properly torque those two shank bolts. [emoticon] Perhaps the OP could be more specific and tell us just which hitch he really has. [emoticon]

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have different trailers I tow (same thing but different). I have two hitch heads and drawbars I use depending on which trailer I'm towing. I also have different bars, 600 lbs and 1000 lbs.

I would not want to be raising and lowering a hitch, adjusting or whatever depending on what vehicle I was using. Just me but it would be worth it to me to spend the few hundred $ to get a different hitch and drawbar.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have to readjust it often, it will soon become a huge PITA. Like Sound Guy says above, if you need to change the head angle (which is likely) it will be even more inconvenient. I'd just go with two heads if it were me.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well if you have so much time on your hands and can spend an hour or two making the change from one TV to another that's great. but to set up each tv once and just leave the hitch head in each tv that's even better.

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Too much hassle to re-adjust each time you switch. Keep it simple and get a 2nd head.

In other words, two heads are better than one.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mortimer Brewster wrote:

downtheroad wrote:

In other words, two heads are better than one.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Hitch Head Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS