cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hybrids as tow vehicles

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have towed a 2002 Toyota Corolla 5 speed for the last 14 years over 90k miles and drove it another 190k miles. It has been a good tow car as well as a daily driver and gets 40 plus mpgs on the hiway or back country roads. The only problem is that my knees are 14 years older and it is hard to get out of the car, so I want one with higher seats. Every year the list gets smaller of the cars that can be flat towed. I read all of John & Joey's posts about towing electric cars so I started looking at these newer plug in hybrids, like the Kia Niro and Honda Clarity. The Niro can get 50 mpgs ave and go another 25 miles on electric only. So as a daily driver it would be good, it is a hatch back which has more room and higher seats than the Focas, Cruse, or Forte hatchbacks and with the Govt rebate is less than $30k. Is anyone towing a hybrid or hybrid plug in? Any issues towing these? Also what kind of tow carrier is best for these?
8 REPLIES 8

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford Fusion Hybrid can be towed four down.

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 3 Ford Motor Company hybrids - - a 2008 Mercury Mariner, a 2012 Ford Fusion and now a 2014 Lincoln MKZ. They have all towed great - - no fuses to pull, no battery cables to disconnect; just put the transmission in neutral and go.

I have always used Roadmaster towing equipment: baseplates and tow bars. Blue Ox seems to have a good reputation as well. My current set up with a Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar is especially easy to setup - - the 2 attaching brackets slide into the recepticles in the front of the car. Rotating them 90 degrees causes them to lock, then attach the tow bar, safety cables, breakaway cable and electrical connection and we're off!

I highly recommend the Ford hybrids - - great for towing and great fuel economy as well.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Our 08 Escape hybrid has been a great toad, but Ford quit making it about 2010 or so.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I remember correctly the C-Max is the only hybrid or plug in that can be towed 4 wheels down. Does anyone know of any others? Is there any modifications that would allow flat towing of other hybrids or plug ins?

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a 2013 C-Max for three years until we sold it as part of the sale of our motorhome. We averaged 42 mpg. The car was towed over 15,000 miles. It towed easily but as the previous posted stated it requires a charge line. This isn't an issue as any experienced installer can do the charge line as part of baseplate install. The C Max will be going away to be replaced by an all new car in either 2019 or 2020 model year. The car was extremely reliable. It is very easy to enter and exit but it is a small car. It worked for us while we had the RV. Good deals are to be had on a new C Max.

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2013 Ford CMax Hybrid. It tows great. Do have a charge line installed. Simple, no fuses to pull. There is also a plug-in version that can be towed.
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I have towed a 2002 Toyota Corolla 5 speed for the last 14 years over 90k miles and drove it another 190k miles. It has been a good tow car as well as a daily driver and gets 40 plus mpgs on the hiway or back country roads. The only problem is that my knees are 14 years older and it is hard to get out of the car, so I want one with higher seats. Every year the list gets smaller of the cars that can be flat towed. I read all of John & Joey's posts about towing electric cars so I started looking at these newer plug in hybrids, like the Kia Niro and Honda Clarity. The Niro can get 50 mpgs ave and go another 25 miles on electric only. So as a daily driver it would be good, it is a hatch back which has more room and higher seats than the Focas, Cruse, or Forte hatchbacks and with the Govt rebate is less than $30k. Is anyone towing a hybrid or hybrid plug in? Any issues towing these? Also what kind of tow carrier is best for these?

This list is fairly reliable, when choosing a towed. Good place to start?
http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
my error
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD