Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: State Park Stay Limitations-how to deal?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> State Park Stay Limitations-how to deal?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Lynndann

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's unfortunate for a new poster seeking the knowledge base of this well known group had to read some of your not so nice posts. If you read the original question again there is nothing in it that says anything about "cheating or gaming the system, get a new rv, identity, etc. " was just downright mean. The question simply asked how full timers travel WITHIN these limits that are obviously there for reasons and that we are educated about. I'm sorry for those that took this question the wrong way. It is unfortunate. Thank you to all of those who really cared about helping another couple enjoy our wonderful America to get on the road with your great comments. We sincerely appreciate it.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP: I was also shocked at the replies you received. Best of luck in your full-timing adventure and do look into volunteering. It's very full-filling. We didn't do it to get a free campsite. We did it to help the parks that we loved to visit.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynndann wrote:

It's unfortunate for a new poster seeking the knowledge base of this well known group had to read some of your not so nice posts. If you read the original question again there is nothing in it that says anything about "cheating or gaming the system, get a new rv, identity, etc. " was just downright mean. The question simply asked how full timers travel WITHIN these limits that are obviously there for reasons and that we are educated about. I'm sorry for those that took this question the wrong way. It is unfortunate. Thank you to all of those who really cared about helping another couple enjoy our wonderful America to get on the road with your great comments. We sincerely appreciate it.

Unfortunately, there ARE a lot of folks who come here looking for ways to cheat the system, get for free what others pay for, etc. Yes, some of the responses were blunt and rather coarse, but it does help to remind people that when you game the system you really do hurt everyone.

Glad you were able to identify some ways to handle the limitations. Have you figured out how long you can go without recharging, refilling and dumping? You really need to figure out the limits of you dry camping abilities to figure out what will work best for you. If you have to dump every 3 days, then that can have a major bearing on the practicalities of hosting at a remote campground with no nearby dump station, etc.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also urge you to look at US Army Corps of Engineers Parks. For those with Disability or Senior passes it is 1/2 off of costs, they are always on a water way, and they are very well built. Most we have been to are w/e (or just electric if far north) with nice dump stations and potable water spots, well designed sites, big enough to move around in, and in general just a great deal. There is a "Camping with the Corps" book out that is good to have. Unlike National Parks, these parks usually don't fill that far ahead. Some are even near large metro areas like Dallas-Fort Worth areas.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
Mischief (2004 Subaru Forester Toad) ">
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

Lynndann

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you so much to those of you who offered support! You are the people that make this forum what it should be, a big helping community. : ) Thank you. I also share your opinions that if our national lands get abused, there won't be anything left to enjoy. We pride ourselves on cleanups, being good stewards and ambassadors of our parks, like all of you.

We don't have a rig yet! But thanks to your posts, we know now that we need to consider how long we can be self contained. Had not even thought of that. We will have to match our trailer to our payload with all tanks full+cargo etc. We have been researching this lifestyle/rigs for about a year and it's people like you that really help us consider all things. We don't have a very big payload on our truck so will go with an ultra light pull trailer, but someone commented to "follow the weather" which is great advice so we don't blow over in a dust storm or hurricane. We will be sure to figure out our dry camping limits and what we can do to stretch them. I recently learned about luggable loos, need to find out discard laws for that but could stretch dumping times.

BarbaraOK thank you so much for telling me about USACE. I have heard of that but had no idea they were so developed. I will absolutely look for that book.

To share knowledge with you all, I can pass on that the book "Wright Guide to Free and Low Cost Camping" has been a boon for me when I was van camping. I found some of the most beautiful places across the states that I never would have found without this book. Some free some as low as 3 dollars a night and some offer facilities too. I urge everyone who's interested to check this out. It has listings for every state.

There is also an app for the smart phone called "Park Advisor". It uses your location to list campgrounds, parks, even cracker barrells or walmart, elks/moose clubs in your area in case you are running late or your destination has no availability. I've used this app to find a place just to pull over if traffic was heavy and nightfall hit. With Moose or Elks club you have to be a member and they will let you park in their lot.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/18 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you start to identify different TTs, you might want to run them through the full time folks here. I've read that many of the ultra lites aren't built to withstand fulltime use. Best to make sure you end up with one with a good track record.

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some state and federal facilities that allow for 30 day states in the off season. But you'd have to find that our on a campground by campground basis. We too prefer state and federal campgrounds. If you are 62 or older,make sure you get the America the Beautiful pass which gets you into National Parks and Historic sites for free and half off on camping in most federal campgrounds. Also some states camping fees are much cheaper than others. 4 years ago we stayed at Huntington Beach State park in South Carolina. At that time it was $18 a night for water and electric. Some states charge entrance fees in addition to camping fees. Good luck and keep us informed how it works out.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's an excellent site for national forest campgrounds.... especially good for directions.

https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm

For a full-timer, joining the Escapees RV Club ($40/year) would be very helpful for you. Stay in one of their home parks and you'll find out what a wonderful group it is - mainly full-timers in those parks. They will help you with anything.

As an Escapee member you can get the 'Days End' document which has thousands of boondocking or cheap places to stay. The entries are made by the RVers who have stayed at those places.

Lynndann

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/18 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everybody, can't tell you how nice it is to have this outpouring of support. I look forward to being a part of this forum with all you helpful and knowledgeable folks out there.

Toedtoes, I will surely ask what people think about certain rigs before buying, best to learn from other peoples experiences and avoid a headache later. One concern about ultra lights is the dust storms out west and hurricanes down south, plus standing the test of time. Of course we made our first rookie move by buying our forever truck without understanding Payload or tow capacity. Turns out it as not as much as we'd hoped for but switching trucks is not an option now because we'd be upside down. We will have to deal with the limits of our tow capacity and go with a lighter, smaller trailer.

Warning to those out there buying a truck, do your homework! Just because the truck looks big and bad and like it would pull a house, doesn't mean it will!! Always check max payloads and gvw/gvwrs. Remember to include cargo and yourselves! We even took it to a weigh station and got real disappointed, but like I said, that's what we've got now. Don't forget, pulling over your weight limit can void your insurance or vehicle warranty and get you in real trouble if you're in an accident. Don't do it.

We are hoping to retire within a year so I will be putting travel trailers up here for advice.

RGar, thank you, Did not know that about the off seasons, 30 days would be great. I am not 62 but I am disabled so I do have a similar parks pass which allows 1/2 price stays and no entry fees, thank goodness what a great offering. We like to go off the beaten path, a lot of rural America, so I think that would be a good fit than more popular sites.

2gypsies, thank you! I bookmarked that link. Great list of national forests, on of our favorite places to be! you recommend Escapees RV club, we will look into it, I love the idea of that newsletter.

I know I am on a good sam web board, we are not members, but I wonder how good sam works out for all of you, is it geared more towards formal rv parks? Is it worth it for state and national park goers?

So great to hear from all of you, loving this conversation. Thanks to you all, will keep reading and posting.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> State Park Stay Limitations-how to deal?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS