cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CA Non Commercial Class A License Question

dedmiston
Does anyone know what the trailer requirements are for the practical test? What kind of trailer do you need to bring to the practical? Does it have to be a 5th wheel over 15k#, or can you bring a smaller trailer to take the test?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
29 REPLIES 29

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Another reason I wouldn't live in CA.
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
christopherglenn wrote:
Incorrect driver's license info..[emoticon]

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

....... but almost everyone thinks towing a trailer over 10k with a non class A license is legal - just because it is legal in their home state. Both are illegal by federal law, and some state laws. In California it is driving out of class.

Incorrect driver's license info..:(

1. Federal law does *not* apply to non-commercial.
2. Reciprocity. If you are legally licensed in your home state, you are legal in the other 49. (That does not apply to overall length.)
You are *not* "driving out of class in CA"!..:(

Example: South Dakota Driver's License.
No special license required for private RVs inc'l towing trailers.
Was in CA often when I was licensed in SD (inc'l stopped by CHP).
No problem with the out-of-state (SD) DL.
(CA *residents* req'd to have a Non-Commercial Class A DL for same).

I always carried a copy of the SD Drivers License regs with me - for any un-informed LEOs (but, never needed to show them).

~

Federal law applies to all. There is a reason all headlights and license plate lights are white, tail lights are red, all other lights are amber. There is a reason all vehicles over 8.5 feet wide, 13.5 feet tall, and 65 feet long are oversize (height and length are longer in a few states, but try to pull 75 feet long in a 65 foot state and get a ticket.

2. Reciprocity. If you are legally licensed in your home state, you are legal in the other 49.

I assume you are referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

Please site legislation, not internet rumors.

One state cannot regulate what is or is not legal in another. Just because you don't need a permit to carry a gun in Alaska, doesn't mean it isn't a felony in California.

I will give you another example. A few years ago I was in NY, apparently all front seat occupants need a seatbelt. Back seat over a certain age do not. Out here in CA everyone needs a seatbelt. No matter the age, or seating position (baring some kind of medical excuse). "Click it or ticket" says the billboards.

In reality the vast majority of non motor carrier CHP in CA don't know or care about trailer weights and license classes. But California vehicle code requires a class A for over 10k (special endorsement for rv 5th wheels up to 15k).

Ca Veh C 12500(d) A person may not drive a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not of a type for which the person is licensed.

Since California requires a class A, you need a Class A - from any state. Remember, you read it on the internet, so it must be true.

Picky, picky - but true on the various "lights".

However - here's "picky, picky" - back at you regarding your other example/comments (NY vs CA) seat belt laws & who can be cited:

CA = Partially correct. All passengers are required to wear seat belts - (with special age/weight req's for infants).

However *if* a person in a back seat is un-belted, and *under* age 16,
the driver may be cited (even if the *driver* is properly belted).
Sixteen or over *any* un-belted passenger gets cited.
(Ex: 14 yr old kid is un-belted, driver receives the cite).

Anyway back to the real topic/subject of........

Restriction 41 - Endorsement 41 for 5th wheels.

Unfortunately, the DMV 'nomenclature' is confusing!

Restriction 41 (what it really is) - but is called an "endorsement" in the handbook - to a Class C Driver's License to tow a 5th wheel over 10,000 lbs, but not over 15,000 lbs GVWR.
The endorsement is not req'd if the driver has a commercial or non-commercial Class A driver license.

On a Class C California Driver's License:

Front -
(To the R of your pic, under your DOB, you will find) "RSTR 41"

Back -
CLASS: (I also have a MC lic) Class C & M1-Veh w/GVWR <2600; No A; 2whl M/C, mtr-drvn Cycle, Scooter.

ENDORSEMENTS: None
RESTRICTIONS: 41-Class A restricted to operating 5th wheel travel trailer between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs GVWR

Call it what you wish - but expect the CA DMV to be confused!

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct, it is a 15,000 max GVW.
Big Bird 2

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
big bird 2 wrote:
I have a CA 5th wheel endorsement to my automobile class C drivers license. No physical, no driving test. You take a written test, pay a small fee and if you pass the test, you get a new license with the endorsement. And for those who say no one cares, that is almost true. Just hope if you get in an accident and your insurance company does not find you do not have an endorsement they may refuse to pay a claim, or if an attorney for the other party in the accident finds you have no endorsement, you lose the case. Just depends on how lucky you feel.

But to be clear, the 5th wheel endorsement is only good up to 15,000 lb. 5th wheel trailer.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a CA 5th wheel endorsement to my automobile class C drivers license. No physical, no driving test. You take a written test, pay a small fee and if you pass the test, you get a new license with the endorsement. And for those who say no one cares, that is almost true. Just hope if you get in an accident and your insurance company does not find you do not have an endorsement they may refuse to pay a claim, or if an attorney for the other party in the accident finds you have no endorsement, you lose the case. Just depends on how lucky you feel.
Big Bird 2

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Incorrect driver's license info..[emoticon]

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

....... but almost everyone thinks towing a trailer over 10k with a non class A license is legal - just because it is legal in their home state. Both are illegal by federal law, and some state laws. In California it is driving out of class.

2. Reciprocity. If you are legally licensed in your home state, you are legal in the other 49. (That does not apply to overall length.)

I always carried a copy of the SD Drivers License regs with me - for any un-informed LEOs (but, never needed to show them).

~

Federal law applies to all. There is a reason all headlights and license plate lights are white, tail lights are red, all other lights are amber. There is a reason all vehicles over 8.5 feet wide, 13.5 feet tall, and 65 feet long are oversize (height and length are longer in a few states, but try to pull 75 feet long in a 65 foot state and get a ticket.

2. Reciprocity. If you are legally licensed in your home state, you are legal in the other 49.

I assume you are referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

Please site legislation, not internet rumors.

One state cannot regulate what is or is not legal in another. Just because you don't need a permit to carry a gun in Alaska, doesn't mean it isn't a felony in California.

I will give you another example. A few years ago I was in NY, apparently all front seat occupants need a seatbelt. Back seat over a certain age do not. Out here in CA everyone needs a seatbelt. No matter the age, or seating position (baring some kind of medical excuse). "Click it or ticket" says the billboards.

In reality the vast majority of non motor carrier CHP in CA don't know or care about trailer weights and license classes. But California vehicle code requires a class A for over 10k (special endorsement for rv 5th wheels up to 15k).

Ca Veh C 12500(d) A person may not drive a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not of a type for which the person is licensed.

Since California requires a class A, you need a Class A - from any state. Remember, you read it on the internet, so it must be true.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
christopherglenn wrote:

~

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
I got pulled over on I5 north, just past the Flying J on the grapevine coming home from Disneyland a few years ago. The only toys in the toyhauler were Thomas the tank engine and mickey mouse and friends.. I was in a dually pulling a 3 axle toyhauler no where near anywhere interesting. I was stopped just to check my paperwork (license class). Once he say my class A, he lost all interest. Never even took it back to his cruiser. I was running 54 in a 55, in the right lane with the cruise on. Don't think avoiding Pismo and the like means you will never get stopped. It is quite literally insurance. Something you pay for, and hope you never have to use (or in this case show a cop).

I still find it funny that very few people think you can take recreational pot across state lines, but almost everyone thinks towing a trailer over 10k with a non class A license is legal - just because it is legal in their home state. Both are illegal by federal law, and some state laws. In California it is driving out of class.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
What a pain!! Helps me appreciate living in Indiana!!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
".....since 2007...."....mere child for CDLs & doubles.
Gave back my CA Class A CDL in 1998 'cause didn't need it anymore.

Yep a mere child at 65, had to get a CDL to pull doubles in CA, I'd love to give it up as it's mainly a money grab, at 72 I'd like to keep my medical card money for diesel Hahaha.

Wish I was still a kid at 65! - Gotcha by 11 years.

Money grab: Can't imagine HDTs going down the road w/o some way of proving they (drivers) are capable.

Even then - (Example): HDT driver rear-ended SUV in Mission Viejo (on I-5) a few years ago (2007 when you got your dbls CDL), daytime / good weather. Traffic slowed, he didn't - killed 3 kids, aged 2, 4, & 5.

Driver Charged with Manslaughter
(Pos 3 year sentence = 1 year for each kids life!!)

South Dakota and "others": unless you're commercial, standard DL does it all. Although (IMO) a Non-Commercial Class A for heavier 5ths is a good idea - (many states doing same) - too many klutzes on the road!

Unless it was recently changed - the CA 25Q "Restriction 41" *test* is a joke, meaningless.
(AZ laughed = easy to understand why!)

:W

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
It was my understanding that the Restriction 41 and non-Comm'l Class A written tests were one and the same - with the added medical and driving test requirements for the non-Comm'l Class A license.

Maybe they gave me the wrong test. Regardless, I passed and received the correct Restriction 41 endorsement.

When I lived in CA my wife and I both had Restriction 41's on our license. When we got our AZ drivers license the gal at the MVD ask whats that refering to the Restriction 41. I told her she laughed and said you dont need that here
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer

Yep a mere child at 65, had to get a CDL to pull doubles in CA, I'd love to give it up as it's mainly a money grab, at 72 I'd like to keep my medical card money for diesel Hahaha.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
It was my understanding that the Restriction 41 and non-Comm'l Class A written tests were one and the same - with the added medical and driving test requirements for the non-Comm'l Class A license.

Maybe they gave me the wrong test. Regardless, I passed and received the correct Restriction 41 endorsement.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
Your right hotpepperkid, I've pulled doubles since 2007 and have never even been looked at going from Ca to Colorado and Utah and even hit Wyoming once. Just drive the speed limit and keep it all tied down.

Maybe "hotpepperkid" is a just a kid too, LOL.

With a CDL you *don't* need for work or play:
Driving your car or pickup, get a cite = no traffic school, pay the man.
Legal alcohol limit is half for CDL license (compared to Class C) - *supposedly* only if you're driving commercial.
Tell that to hp-kids LEO chums on the side of the road who don't know any better. (Secure *that* load!)

Having had a 30 year - ahhhh 'close' association with lots of LEO's - the pep kid is correct.
Some know, some don't know - some don't care.
But....there *ARE* those who *REALLY* care (are very involved in commercial enforcement, current or past) and can be really, *REALLY* picky - both at state (CHP) and local (county/city) level.

Roll on!

:C