Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Truck Prices & Mileage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck Prices & Mileage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

remdog*1 wrote:

It may sound backwards but I purchased my 5th wheel first. I paid attention to GVW on it, then I purchased a truck for the weight. Most people limit themselves to the truck they have. I picked out my dream camper and then got truck to pull it.

That's exactly what I did. Bought the 5th wheel and then bought a truck to match.

Good used trucks with low miles bring a premium. When I started looking last year I got a bad case of sticker shock.

smurfs_of_war

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

100,000 miles on a gasoline engine, and they are ready for an over-haul.

Maybe back in the 60's or 70's. 100k on a gas engine now is no sweat. Welcome to the 21st century, your tour guide should be here shortly.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

My dad used to correct me when I called it a 'motor.' He'd say, motors are things with armatures that run on electricity; that thing under the hood is an engine!

We have the same dad?

2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
2000 F250 7.3 longbed airbags sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT, Layton 24.5LT sold

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We traded our 2003 GMC 6.0L w/3:73RE with 215,000 miles - on a 2015 GM 6.0L w/4:10 ... and the six speed is awesome with that 4:10 ...

Not because the engine was worn out, it still fired up with one crank and burned almost ZERO oil between changes. It was other components that made us trade, in part because we were beginning a six-months tour of the country, and didn't want to take chances with problems on the road.

That 6.0L gas engine is a true workhorse ... and my choice every time I'd buy a truck. We haul a 3000+ lb truck camper on it, and sometimes tow a bike trailer. Lots of miles, minimal problems over twelve years.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 03:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NMDriver wrote:

remdog*1 wrote:

It may sound backwards but I purchased my 5th wheel first. I paid attention to GVW on it, then I purchased a truck for the weight. Most people limit themselves to the truck they have. I picked out my dream camper and then got truck to pull it.

You are a smart man, not backward at all [emoticon]

x2, this is the best path.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Engines HAVE to last more than a 100k miles these days. If they didn't, a lot of people would be paying on vehicles they no longer used.

My truck is currently at 70k and gives every indication that it is new.

Surveyor 245BHS
2013 Ford F150 XLT, SCREW, 4x4, 3.5 Ecoboost, Max Tow
Rollin'Ragu' YouTube Channel

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smurfs_of_war wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

Maybe back in the 60's or 70's. 100k on a gas engine now is no sweat. Welcome to the 21st century, your tour guide should be here shortly.

Correct!! I still can't believe that people still think this.... truth is both engines if taken care of will outlast the truck that there installed in.... the key is maintaining both engines.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kw/00 wrote:

smurfs_of_war wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

Correct!! I still can't believe that people still think this.... truth is both engines if taken care of will outlast the truck that there installed in.... the key is maintaining both engines.

X2 or 3 or 4. Had a 2000 Silverado with 5.3 that had 268000 on the ticker when sold in 2013. Still used no oil and had the notorious 99/00 piston slap when cold from day one. PA road salt was it's demise or I probably would of kept it around. I have had many since and during way up over 100K, and a few over 200K. I can not remember many engine issues with any, other than a sensor or two and a couple of coil packs.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smurfs_of_war wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

[emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smurfs_of_war wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

Eggzactly! I'm "only" 45 years old, but still have that feeling somehow from the olden days that 100k is when a vehicle may likely need to be "rebuilt".
I'm pretty confident, looking back, that beginning in the 90s, that "100k" started turning to "200k". Now 200k or possibly more is the old 100k.
Thing is, a lot of it boils down to care, maintenance and preventative repairs....no surprise. Someone in the rust belt who drives the vehicle year round, parked outside, doesn't see a car wash between thanksgiving and Easter is still going to have rusted out junker in 10 years even though it may only have 100k and the rust isn't just fender wells, it's everything in the undercarriage and the repair costs then qualify it as a "junker" because the brakes locked up and the oil pan rusted out, etc.
all hypothetical things here, but I'm not off by much. Drive back to WI this fall and half the 10 year old trucks like ours looked like C RAP.
If my finances dictated, I wouldn't have issue with buying a newish used truck with 50-100k miles if it was babied and expect relatively trouble free use for another 100k.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck Prices & Mileage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS