Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2018 Arctic Fox 865LB or Northern Lite 9-6QSE
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2018 Arctic Fox 865LB or Northern Lite 9-6QSE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
motodog

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First post, and I hate to rehash old debates but, I can't find much info on the newer campers (2016-2018). I'm going to buy this spring and have narrowed it down to these two. Ive read lots of old posts about leaks and or structural problems with older campers, but can't find info on the new ones. I would hope that a lot of these problems have been addressed. The camper will go on a 2018 F350 SRW diesel 4x4 LB. Plan on lots of gravel/dirt roads, but no '4 wheeling'. Thanks for any input, opinions, and ideas.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when I worked in sales I would have many people like you wanting us to make their decision on what to buy. I refused to do that. I always figured if that rv didn't reach out and grab you then it's the wrong one for you. you have to be the one that is happy with the unit, not me. so you decide on which one you want to put your hard earned money into. it's your bed, not mine

motodog

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the thoughts old guy, but that exactly the point. i don't have experience in truck campers like yourself, and I don't want my new camper to 'reach out and grab my money, and time' if I can avoid any issues one might have more than the other. Thanks any ways.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was happy with my Arctic Fox and only went to another brand because Arctic Fox did not make a multi slide side door model I wanted. I have always liked Northern Lite campers but wanted more room with slides, so I eliminated them from my choices early. I feel the NL has a better fit and finish than the AF, but the capacities are smaller if you like to boondock. What sold us on the AF was the amounts the camper could hold and the overall build quality over other brands.

Although not as popular out west, I suggest you take a look at the Northstar campers since you are looking at models without slides. They get good reviews from their owners. If you are under 6' tall, also check out the Bigfoot campers - There is recent thread about them in this section.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp-VW Jetta TDI 1.9

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given those choices, I'd go with a Northern Lite. I'm not a fan of the height of the Arctic Fox slides above the floor or their interior color choices.

I'd also look at this floorplan in the Northern Lite. https://www.northern-lite.com/truck_camper_lite_96.php This model is no longer made, but I much prefer it to the normal dinette. I suppose it depends on how many people will be using it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The AF865 is their only non-slide model unless you go to the Northwood Wolf Creek line.

http://northwoodmfg.com/af-camper-865/

thedavidzoo

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please ignore if you have made up your mind... but have you considered the Northstar brand at all?

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go with the Northern lite,a lot less maintenance.

Rustofer

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how fussy you are about staying within the GVW rating of your truck, but the AF865 could take you over by 500 - 1000 lbs, maybe more. We have a 2017 F350 6.2 (gas), which is likely 500 - 700 pounds lighter than your diesel, and we carry a 2017 NL 9.6 Sportsman. We are often right up against our 11,500 GVW. With two of us in the truck, no camper, it weighs approx. 8100 pounds. That includes a sheet of plywood, bed mat, tie-downs, full tank of gas. It's astonishing how quickly the weights add up.

motodog

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. I was inquiring more about the integrity of the two newer model campers regarding leaks, structural problems, etc. heard a lot about older models but nothing about the newer ones (post 2016).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2018 Arctic Fox 865LB or Northern Lite 9-6QSE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS