cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tight Windy Roads

ChristyFord
Explorer
Explorer
I heard on an RV-ing vlog that those towing a long rig need to be aware of the roads they travel ahead of time to avoid bends that are too sharp for their setup. Is there a particular method for doing that or do you just have to eyeball it on your map and hope you're good? ...dare I say, is there an app for that?
25 REPLIES 25

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Not being a GPS user (that's cheating), most paper road maps have notes on them noting steep and narrow roads. I will use Google maps once in a while. Then there are the signs on the narrow road "suggesting" that trailers aren't recommended or even prohibited. Blew by one of those in southern Utah and they weren't kidding, very steep, almost lost the brakes.

On Route 66 east of Oatman, the road is narrow and curvey, semi's aren't supposed to be on it, but met one on one of those curves. Or for fun you can go thru Jerome Arizona squeeze around corners in town, then head south on 89 and hit more tight curves and steepness. Then there's the highway that heads south from I-70 near Green River Utah down to Monument Valley where the signs say no trailers. They are right on this one cause as it descends off of a mesa, its, dirt, much of it one lane and really steep. Fun to drive solo though.

My problem is I see those "don't do it" signs to be a challenge to my manhood and driving prowess. Wife usually prevails though. Never had a ticket or accident so I am very careful at all times.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is the navigator and typically "drives" the routes on screen ahead of time using Google Maps.

And we pay attention to road signs as they whiz past.

You should also listen to local info. My aunt tried to warn me of "the back wy up the mountain" to Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville, AL. She was telling me (in the background while I was talking to her daughter/my cousin) about how terrible it is, tight and twisty. I didn't heed her advice.

2 weeks into owning a 42' fifth wheel (coming from a pop-up camper before that) and we hit that road. It went from small to smaller and ultimately had 1 horrid switchback. We made it through and I gained a lot of confidence.. but man, I still wish I had listened!

The switchback:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7477732,-86.5295227,3a,75y,210.42h,73.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBiCXJuE...
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

Sure looks like he had enough room. Must have been freaked out because he just trashed his rig, and thus missed the curve.

Wonder what his wife had to say about it all?

HA! I would be single after that. LOL
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
myredracer wrote:
You mean like the "Old man drives his trailer into a narrow winding "small cars only" road and gets stuck" FW owner, lol? ๐Ÿ™‚ See the whole rescue on youtube here. Entertaining!

Always watch the road signage and if a road starts to look questionable, stop. If you have to back up, use a spotter. A backup camera may or not help. Our Garmin GPS gives us warnings in advance. If you miss a planned turn and think you can simply take the next turn coming up, don't assume it will be okay as an alternative. Checking road conditions in advance on the internet can help a lot. A secondary type road on a map may *look* fine but can be a road from hell when you get on it. Carrying a laptop and having a mobile hotspot/mifi can really help. Know your turning radius and if you have to, take a corner wide even if you have to cross the center line (oncoming traffic permitting). If using a GPS, make dang sure you have the destination correctly programmed into it and don't assume it will always get you there without issues. I always go over paper maps in advance so I have at the min., a basic idea of where we're going and if something isn't clear, I'll take a closer look along with more info.

That was just just a case of bad driving right there. Nothing more. He should have never went through the tunnel be clearly he made it. The turn should not have stopped him. I have a turn that I go around when I go to Dale Hollow that is sharper than that. I can literally see the tail lights on the boat behind the RV looking out my driver side window.

To the OP. Rand Mcnally makes a map that we use that's called "Large Scale Motor Carriers' Road Atlas" The pages are laminated and it has truck routed marked, restricted routes , low clearance and also city to city mileage.

Road atlas

Sure looks like he had enough room. Must have been freaked out because he just trashed his rig, and thus missed the curve.

Wonder what his wife had to say about it all?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
You mean like the "Old man drives his trailer into a narrow winding "small cars only" road and gets stuck" FW owner, lol? ๐Ÿ™‚ See the whole rescue on youtube here. Entertaining!

Always watch the road signage and if a road starts to look questionable, stop. If you have to back up, use a spotter. A backup camera may or not help. Our Garmin GPS gives us warnings in advance. If you miss a planned turn and think you can simply take the next turn coming up, don't assume it will be okay as an alternative. Checking road conditions in advance on the internet can help a lot. A secondary type road on a map may *look* fine but can be a road from hell when you get on it. Carrying a laptop and having a mobile hotspot/mifi can really help. Know your turning radius and if you have to, take a corner wide even if you have to cross the center line (oncoming traffic permitting). If using a GPS, make dang sure you have the destination correctly programmed into it and don't assume it will always get you there without issues. I always go over paper maps in advance so I have at the min., a basic idea of where we're going and if something isn't clear, I'll take a closer look along with more info.

That was just just a case of bad driving right there. Nothing more. He should have never went through the tunnel be clearly he made it. The turn should not have stopped him. I have a turn that I go around when I go to Dale Hollow that is sharper than that. I can literally see the tail lights on the boat behind the RV looking out my driver side window.

To the OP. Rand Mcnally makes a map that we use that's called "Large Scale Motor Carriers' Road Atlas" The pages are laminated and it has truck routed marked, restricted routes , low clearance and also city to city mileage.

Road atlas
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if it's still available, but Goodsam routing on their site used to show windy, steep roads, bridge heights, etc. I used it on our trip out west in 08, but haven't had a need to route anything complex lately, so not sure if they still offer that.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi, and first off welcome to the forum! The general rule is that the driver is responsible for knowing his/her rig and using the roads accordingly. There are loads of signs that you never noticed before that advise no vehicles over a certain length, over a certain weight, over certain height, over a certain # of axles, etc etc. I would say low clearance bridges are more common that curves that are too tight.

Aside from knowing your length, weight and height, I also heed signs that say "no trucks". The sign may not state a reason, but more often than not it's because trucks don't fit.

There are several apps you can use, my Pioneer AVIC nav system allows me to create a vehicle profile where I enter my vehicle size/weight and it keeps me off of roads where I shouldn't be. You can also buy a "trucker's Altas" for old school folks...

Search in the iTune or Play stores for "trucker's maps" or similar.

Also be aware of haz-mat restrictions on flammables...there are tunnels where you shouldn't be with propane tanks (your trailer has 2).

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Checking out how narrow and twisty the roads are is where a mapping program, and/or Google maps shine. You can zoom in to see exactly how the road unwinds. Paper maps simply don't have that kind of detail, although they will give you a rough idea about the road and area.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Be care full where you going if you got a tall FW another problem is the bridges .
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I drive with a Garmin Dezl 770 semi truck GPS unit. It will route you down truck accessible roads based on your height, length, and weight. It's nice because it gives road warnings of sharp curves, steep grades, bridge heights, etc. I've never been routed down any roads that were too tight, narrow, or clearance issues. There's a car mode for when you're not pulling a trailer. There's an RV specific version that's basically the same unit, but with rv specific sections like campgrounds listings and dump stations.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
I tow tight winding hills on the back roads of WV regularly towing my 32ft trailer. Itโ€™s great way to check how well you have the WD setup especially if itโ€™s raining and wet.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
If there's some risk, I scout it out on Google Maps satellite view. One has to zoom pretty close in, and watch closely where the road really is (which isn't always precisely where Google thinks it is). If you wait until you get to a bend that's too tight it's too late as then your only option is to back out, and that could be rather challenging.

The roads like this I encounter usually aren't "highways" ... They're back country gravel/dirt roads that go to something like a trailhead or canoe launch.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500