Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Rookie questions about the cold
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rookie questions about the cold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are going to be touring Arizona and New Mexico next month. We live in Southern California and dry camp a lot in our deserts during the winter. It's not unusual for our camping temps to be in the 40s during the day and 20s at night. We've never given a second thought to anything freezing except for the dog's water bowl. (Seriously, there will be a half inch of ice on the dog's water bowl in the morning, but it's always nice and toasty inside the trailer.)

We have NEVER winterized. The joke with our friends is that "winterizing" means taking the trailers out of storage and going camping, because the summer heat is finally over.

So my question is, do we need to be concerned about the winter temps overnight in Arizona and New Mexico? I'm looking at the weather at some of the places we want to visit in New Mexico, and it looks like it will be in the teens overnight.

We keep the trailer warm enough at night for us humans and our dogs. We have an enclosed belly and there was a sticker showing a snowflake being vanquished by the beefy all-weatherness of our trailer when we bought it.

We're obviously venturing into uncharted territories for us though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never winterized in Tucson.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

NMDriver

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where in NM. Up north in Feb you will get freezing temps. Down south not as likely.

Most of the time by mid Feb southern NM is seeing above freezing temps at night and 60-70 in the day. Here Altitude is the difference between freezing and above freezing.

5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Lwiddis

El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora Reina Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because of the possible repair expense I get nervous and take preventive action when temps are estimated to be below 28 without wind. Don’t push your luck into the teens IMO.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet. Bicyclist!

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i've been to "Q" three times and never had to worry about freezing

but if your going to Grand canyon / flagstaff, anyplace with altitude

i suggest you bite the bullet, use the LP run the furnace, and keep the Fiver warm
don't let the dog dish freeze and your tanks and pipes should be OK

there should be some heat ducts and warm air circulation into those areas
as long as you "use the furnace" and keep the interior in the 50's or warmer

you can do for this trip, don't play Eskimo and you should be OK

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would watch actual temps where when/where you camp and be prepared to winterize if it becomes required. A mild freeze overnight is not going to do any damage to stuff unless it continues for part of the day also. With that said read up on all the unprepared campers across the US right now posting about freezing their "4 season" rigs. I know nothing about the area your headed...but freezing is freezing and damage will happen to rigs that are not suited for harsh temps if they stick around long enough.

Daryll

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here in Oregon we do get cold snaps but come elk season we get real cold. I've never worried about freezing any of the pipes in my TT. just keep the thermostat on 60 or more and you should be OK. you might run low on propane if you are out very long

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure to have enough battery to get you through the night with the furnace running. It just needs to blow enough air into the underbelly to keep things from freezing. Leave cabinet doors open so the plumbing underneath them gets some warm air circulation.

Don't make the mistake of using electric heaters to the extent that your furnace won't come on. The electric heat won't do the underbelly any good.

If you have water hookups, only use your hose to fill the tank and don't leave it connected. Disconnect and drain it well after every use.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

MWJones

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coolmom42,

Please don't give the poster a false since of security about his underbelly having heat ducts going into it. THEY ALL DON'T !!!!
Including those that have labels at the door indicating they do.
I know from first hand experience.
Also a dealer told me the same as well.

PS: This applies to insulation in the underbelly. They all DO NOT have it, even when they are "supposed to have".

M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't boondock so its not an issue to run the furnace at night and use an electric heated water hose to prevent it from freezing. Our Itasca has an enclosed under belly and heat ducts for warming down there. I still have a wireless out side thermometer that I leave in the wet bays to check the temps down there at night. Never gets below about 36 even with outside temps in the 15 - 20's range.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rookie questions about the cold
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS