Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Rookie questions about the cold
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rookie questions about the cold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
momentum rv

Central Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

i've been to "Q" three times and never had to worry about freezing

but if your going to Grand canyon / flagstaff, anyplace with altitude

i suggest you bite the bullet, use the LP run the furnace, and keep the Fiver warm
don't let the dog dish freeze and your tanks and pipes should be OK

there should be some heat ducts and warm air circulation into those areas
as long as you "use the furnace" and keep the interior in the 50's or warmer

you can do for this trip, don't play Eskimo and you should be OK

^^^^ X2

2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have camped numerous times in cold weather. One trip we were in Amarillo and it was 90. The next night we were in Gallop,NM and it was 15 and snowing. We were hooked up to water and the hose froze.So I would suggest fill up your tanks and disconnect water and sewer hoses.You will be fine as long as you keep the unit heated. Yopu may also want to open the kitchen sink and vanity doors to allow warm air to circulate.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it all come down to where you,ll be camped.100miles makes a big difference.

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone.

A couple of things I should have mentioned:

The "rookie" part only refers to camping in parks with hookups during the winter. We've been doing this for many years, but at least 80% of our camping is dry camping in the high deserts from Fall through Spring.

Next, the dog bowl is outside when it freezes. [emoticon] That's when we're boondocking in our local deserts and we let the dogs run feral during the day (as long as we're in camp and not out riding), so their water and food (empty food bowls) stay out at night.

We've camped in plenty of cold temps here in our high deserts and even had snow, but usually these are just overnight temps of 20s and daytimes in the high 30s and low 40s.

We got quite a bit of snow last March when we were in Utah, but it never seemed cold enough to worry about the pipes freezing.

Usually when we dry camp near home, we use the space heaters in the front bedroom and the garage to conserve propane and batteries. We'll be staying in parks with hookups though, so refilling the propane won't be hard and we'll have all the power we need.

We'll go ahead and run the furnace. I like the idea of leaving cupboards open to spread the warmth. I usually set the temp to 55 at night, but I'll turn it up to warm the belly.

As far as ducting goes, our furnace ducts run through the belly under the floor but above the tanks and up to the vents. The duct runs to all but the last 12' of the trailer (the garage). The fresh water and gray/black tanks are in the main belly of the coach, and then the two gas tanks are under the garage in the rear.

I'll keep a good amount of water in the fresh tanks just in case, and I always leave the gray/black valves closed until I'm ready to dump and leave.

Thanks for all of your input. Happy camping!

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

The Edmistons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rookie questions about the cold
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS