Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Advice on deep cycle setup?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on deep cycle setup?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 36  
Next
JohnnyGood

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I have a Safari van that I've converted into a camper.

I replaced the starting battery with a Duracell Ultra Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) Battery that cost $105 (got it at batteries plus).

I'm running a multi-cooker (700 watts) with a 600 watt inverter (yes, I realize that there's a difference, but it seems to work fine (?).

I want to get another deep cycle house battery, as it seems to max out the battery after 5 minutes of use (the inverter starts beeping).

Does anyone have any suggestions on batteries to get, or how to rig this up? I'm a contractor and have some experience with electricity, but I don't understand all the ins and outs of a deep cycle power setup / battery power etc.'

I also want to get a heater installed for minimal use: http://www.my12voltstore.com/DC_Thermal_SA12_2000_12_Volt_Turbo_DC_Heater_p/sa12-2000.htm

Any tips welcome!

L

* This post was edited 01/12/18 08:36pm by JohnnyGood *

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may do better by running heavier loads on a generator.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

another duplicate battery will give you 10 minutes of use

you need a generator

or get a new heavy alternator and run the engine while using your cooker

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JohnnyGood

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

You may do better by running heavier loads on a generator.

OK - thanks. Just trying to figure out how this might work for my van ... seems pricey / difficult to install (gas ventilation etc.) ...

I wish I could know how much heat / power I would get out of another decent deep cycle battery ...

Thanks.

L

JohnnyGood

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

another duplicate battery will give you 10 minutes of use

you need a generator

or get a new heavy alternator and run the engine while using your cooker

Gotcha - thanks. I will research the alternator (tips welcome there on where/what to buy) - I didn't think of that.

L

centerline

Salem OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

700 watts is about 58amps, and the dual purpose battery will not last long under this load.
then there is the problem with the 700watt load on the 600watt inverter, this is much more inefficient than a 700watt load on a 1500watt inverter... the inefficiency equals higher then normal watts being used when running the heavy load on the small inverter.

you arent just burning up 700 watts that the multi cooker is using, because under a normal load, the inverter itself will use 15-17% more power just to invert the 700 watts of power needed by the cooker.... when you overload the inverter, this additional consumption can go as high as 30%.... so if you add it all up, you may be attempting to pull as much 75amps from the battery.... this is harmful to the battery and the components...

more batteries will be better in the moment, but then all the batteries will be so low it will take many hours for them to be replenished... and may even damage the batteries still, as the dual purpose batteries cant take much below a 40% discharge before it starts to degrade the internals of the battery... a true "deep cycle" battery can safely go to a 60% discharge without much strain.... but, no matter what type of battery, the batteries that get very little discharge and promptly get fully recharged, are the batteries that last many years...

so yes, as the other members said, you do need a generator for the loads you are wanting to pull thru the system.

2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to google the "12 volt side of life".

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

JohnnyGood

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

centerline wrote:

700 watts is about 58amps, and the dual purpose battery will not last long under this load.
then there is the problem with the 700watt load on the 600watt inverter, this is much more inefficient than a 700watt load on a 1500watt inverter... the inefficiency equals higher then normal watts being used when running the heavy load on the small inverter.

you arent just burning up 700 watts that the multi cooker is using, because under a normal load, the inverter itself will use 15-17% more power just to invert the 700 watts of power needed by the cooker.... when you overload the inverter, this additional consumption can go as high as 30%.... so if you add it all up, you may be attempting to pull as much 75amps from the battery.... this is harmful to the battery and the components...

more batteries will be better in the moment, but then all the batteries will be so low it will take many hours for them to be replenished... and may even damage the batteries still, as the dual purpose batteries cant take much below a 40% discharge before it starts to degrade the internals of the battery... a true "deep cycle" battery can safely go to a 60% discharge without much strain.... but, no matter what type of battery, the batteries that get very little discharge and promptly get fully recharged, are the batteries that last many years...

so yes, as the other members said, you do need a generator for the loads you are wanting to pull thru the system.

Gotcha - I really appreciate it. This is a lesson in battery-power etc. for me.

Would getting a 1000 watt inverter (pure sine wave), a heavy duty alternator, and another deep cycle battery make this viable to do while running the vehicle?

JohnnyGood

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stickdog wrote:

You may want to google the "12 volt side of life".

Perfect - just did - I appreciate the education.

L

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Image of the alternator you want. It is a Delco and the voltage regulator harness plugs right in.

[image]

[image]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Alternator-........tem1e6d44a4da:g:60wAAOSw~QRaE0jz&vxp=mtr

This alternator will produce 55 amps at idle where your existing alternator will produce about 28.

Even though it is a Delco, it is larger than your original. 144 millimeters in diameter versus 130.

It is not a "drop-in" replacement. I would try the Chevrolet parts counter to see if a "CS144" bracket is available for your chassis. This is by far the easiest way to do this conversion.

The hopped-up original size alternators are utter garbage -- don't give a **** whose brand. The CS-130 and CS130-D cannot be pumped up in amperage without losing what little amperage they developed at idle. Like trying to convert a Citroen 2CV into a dump truck.

You must add a wire from the battery stud to battery positive direct. Six AWG would be ideal. When I say MUST it does not mean perhaps. You WILL fry the factory fusible link if you don't.

The CS144 is a sane alternator design. Even measured at 30-amps output, it is longer living alternator than your original.

Best Of Fortune!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 36  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on deep cycle setup?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS