Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on deep cycle setup?

JohnnyGood
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have a Safari van that I've converted into a camper.

I replaced the starting battery with a Duracell Ultra Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) Battery that cost $105 (got it at batteries plus).

I'm running a multi-cooker (700 watts) with a 600 watt inverter (yes, I realize that there's a difference, but it seems to work fine (?).

I want to get another deep cycle house battery, as it seems to max out the battery after 5 minutes of use (the inverter starts beeping).

Does anyone have any suggestions on batteries to get, or how to rig this up? I'm a contractor and have some experience with electricity, but I don't understand all the ins and outs of a deep cycle power setup / battery power etc.'

I also want to get a heater installed for minimal use: http://www.my12voltstore.com/DC_Thermal_SA12_2000_12_Volt_Turbo_DC_Heater_p/sa12-2000.htm

Any tips welcome!

L
362 REPLIES 362

JohnnyGood
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

Another update - I did find a nice little cabin out in the woods that I'm moving to next week, and may be building out another solar system there or moving this one (or parts of it) to the cabin ...

Yours,

L

JohnnyGood
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

My apologies for not updating this thread in a more timely manner.

Back in May, I used the goop to seal up the battery. See pictures. I didn't do the precise process suggested by Mex - I couldn't seem to get that to work - so I just gooped it on the cracks. That seems to be holding.

Also, I did finally find a regular/permanent place to live (in a house), which has taken the "load" off my battery project etc.

I don't think I'll install the new alternator after all (may sell on ebay), as I think the panels + stock alternator are generating more than enough juice for my now occasional load.

I still haven't installed the fuse or charging solenoid ... these are on my extended to-do list, along with finishing the solar rack (it's up fine, but could use some modifications).

THANK YOU for all the help. I do hope to have this completely finished, and will plan to send you pics when done.

Thank you for helping me learn a lot and live like a king in my old glory days! I certainly plan to use the van as a camper for trips in the future, and use the charging system to charge my tools, etc.

Yours,

L

JohnnyGood
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
It's the resistance of the heating coil

Yes - that makes complete sense - thank you. I don't think there's a good swap available, as the leak is tied in with the coil.

What does using the 24 volt with a 12 volt system do? I'm imagining it might be quite inefficient?

Because it does work, although it does take quite a while.

Thanks.

L

MrWizard
It's the resistance of the heating coil
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JohnnyGood
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

This is an issue that's somewhat related to this project.

I ordered a water heater that turned out to be the wrong voltage (24 volts). I tried it, not knowing it was the wrong volts, and it did heat the water, but it took forever.

So, I ordered another one at the right voltage. However, this second one started leaking.

So, I have a 24 volt that doesn't leak and a 12 volt that leaks. I did get a refund for the leaky one (Chinese company didn't want me to send it back).

Is there a way to swap parts on the 2 somewhat easily? What makes the 24 volt one 24 - is it in the plug, or in the resistor/coil within the casing itself?

Thanks!

L

JohnnyGood
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
JohnnyGood,

Don't fix what isn't broken!

JohnnyGood wrote:
The battery seems to be handling the loads I'm giving it fine. I'm happy to have the solar charging it daily.

Hi Don,

Just saw this (I seem to have problems with getting notifications).

I appreciate it. Yes - gotcha - I'm taking a middle road between fixing and leaving it alone - I will update y'all soon. Now that everything's working, it's been much harder to "find the time" to get everything finished.

However, I WILL finish this project. ๐Ÿ™‚

L

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
JohnnyGood,

Don't fix what isn't broken!

JohnnyGood wrote:
The battery seems to be handling the loads I'm giving it fine. I'm happy to have the solar charging it daily.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JohnnyGood
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I called lifeline yesterday and spoke with Justin. Excellent 8 minute conversation.

He said he thinks it's fine to re-seal the two side flaps with some kind of adhesive around the seam etc.

He said that the flaps were popped up a little because the heat deformed the plastic casing, which makes sense based on what I see etc.

He also said his best guess of a range of damage to the battery in terms of lost capacity and life was 15-20% min and 50% max (these were wild estimates - I had to push him a little to get him to put numbers to it).

Lastly, he said they'd be happy to test it. It's not really on the way to anything for me - we'll see what the future holds.

More maintenance and updates coming soon. Thanks Mex, John, Don, and everyone else for all your help.

Yours,

L

JohnnyGood
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
It's a frustrating site error message seen after trying to post.

Gotcha - thanks. So, you're in danger of getting blacklisted/kicked out?

JohnnyGood
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
Do I see stranded wire crushed under the bolt on the terminal?

If so it is unacceptable, even if just temporary

My apologies - I responded too quick. No - this is not a bare wire. I do have it on a terminal connector.

I'm still curious - what's unacceptable about a bare wire under a bolt? I'm sure there's a obvious reason. (I did have this setup before I got my new inverter)

Thanks,

L

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's a frustrating site error message seen after trying to post.

JohnnyGood
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Don and Mex. I appreciate it. I will give it a whirl and keep you posted.

L

PS Mex - what's this "If I get another INVALID FORUM OR TOPIC PASSED IN MESSAGE I'll have to stop posting"? I tried to look this up in help and couldn't find an explanation ...

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Do I see stranded wire crushed under the bolt on the terminal?

If so it is unacceptable, even if just temporary

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • Once sealing wax pops because of high temperature the game is over
  • If the cap sproings up with a thread of Goop use a 2nd or a 3rd. Those caps have to stay closed.

If I get another INVALID FORUM OR TOPIC PASSED IN MESSAGE I'll have to stop posting ๐Ÿ˜ž