cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

increase tire size

jwsigler
Explorer
Explorer
my trailer has 33.5 inch axle spacing. I want to upgrade to heavier trailer tires but their OD is 32 inches which would leave only 1.5 inch clearance between the two tires. This seems to be too narrow to me. Is 33.5 standard spacing for trailer axles and what do people do to upgrade to heavy duty 14 ply trailer tires with 32 inch Od's?
18 REPLIES 18

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Bob E. wrote:
lincster wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
No, I specifically bought new wheels to have the correct spacing between the dual tires. It would also have been possible to use spacers--but that is not the best solution.

Makes no sense.
But if it worked for you....... 🙂

I think he's talking about the space between dual wheels on his Class C rear axle rather than a dual axle trailer.

Yes.

Well this is a toy hauler forum and I haven't seen a toy hauler yet with dual rears like a class C. :R
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

jwsigler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I ended up finding a set of 12 ply tires that give me about 1000 lbs more capacity per tire with only a 1 inch increase in outside diameter over the old ST tires. With a measured axle spacing of 33 1/2 inches and the new tires' OD of 30.7 inches, I will have about 2.5 inches between the tires. It also worked out well with the 4 new 12 ply tires costing only $430 with tax and shipping.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bob E. wrote:
lincster wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
No, I specifically bought new wheels to have the correct spacing between the dual tires. It would also have been possible to use spacers--but that is not the best solution.

Makes no sense.

I think he's talking about the space between dual wheels on his Class C rear axle rather than a dual axle trailer.

Yes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Again, Dexter Axle in their tech documents states you need a 1" space between tires along with about 3" along top and side of tire for axle movement during operation.

Sailun Tire has a 14pr rated tire that is 30.8" tall. These are a quality tire for trailer use.

http://www.gosailun.com/MRT/Tire/S637T

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

Makes no sense.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Makes no sense.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Unfortunately I may have used the wrong term. I did it to have the correct spacing between tires.

As I said, all you can do to correct spacing is change diameter or move axles.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unfortunately I may have used the wrong term. I did it to have the correct spacing between tires.
Regards, Don

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
When I moved to oversize tires I replaced the wheels with new ones with the correct offset.

Wheel offset has nothing to do with spacing between tires.
Spacing has to do with axle distance and/or diameter of tire.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
When I moved to oversize tires I replaced the wheels with new ones with the correct offset.
Regards, Don

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
In 2013, I replaced two of my E-range tires with two F-range, and in 2013 upgraded the other two (putting on one F-range and one G-range.) The spacing looks to be about an inch and a half. I have had no problem with tires after making the replacements.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Dexter axle mfg recommends a 1" minimum between the tires with the std leaf spring suspension.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some say 1" is the absolute minimum for clearance. As tires heat up, they expand/air up a little, and yes there is a little movement ahead/back from suspension. If there is wear/slop in suspension, even more so. IMO, 1.5"s of clearance should work, if suspension components are solid.

Jerry