Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: increase tire size
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> increase tire size

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jwsigler

La Mirada, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my trailer has 33.5 inch axle spacing. I want to upgrade to heavier trailer tires but their OD is 32 inches which would leave only 1.5 inch clearance between the two tires. This seems to be too narrow to me. Is 33.5 standard spacing for trailer axles and what do people do to upgrade to heavy duty 14 ply trailer tires with 32 inch Od's?

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An inch is as good as a mile.

jwsigler

La Mirada, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that the tires can not move any closer together and will normally never touch, but what if something gets kicked up by the front tire? There is no room for the object to pass between. I would worry about a catastrophic failure of possible both tires. I own a machine shop so it will not be difficult to machine a new spring equalizer that is eight inches on centers instead of my current one which is six inches. That, in addition two a mod to the two outside attach points for the springs, will put me back at the current 3.5 inch clearance. While I can do all the design and machining, I can't help wondering what other people are doing, or if it is just my trailer who has this narrow 33.5 inch axle spacing.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They absolutely can move closer together.
As the equalizer pivots one direction, the effective distance between them changes.
Anyone who uses a something like the BAL tire locking chock knows how much they move inward and outward depending on incline.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

centerline

Salem OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

an inch an a half is fine between the tires.... as for the comment about "what if something gets kicked up between them?".... well, what if it happens right now the way they are?... its going to get kicked out of the way because one tire face is going up and the other is going downward, so it cancels each other out.. but gravity is still in your favor so the debris will never get caught between the two opposing directions and go into a perpetual spin between the tires...

yes, the tires can move a little, and the center axle of a tridem much more so than a tandem axle set up. but its going to be a rare instance where in normal operation the axle moves over an inch fore and aft.... and this "rare inch" of movement includes a half inch forward from normal to a half inch rearward from normal.... any axle that can move a full inch rearward/forward from is normal location means the suspension is faulty.

2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some say 1" is the absolute minimum for clearance. As tires heat up, they expand/air up a little, and yes there is a little movement ahead/back from suspension. If there is wear/slop in suspension, even more so. IMO, 1.5"s of clearance should work, if suspension components are solid.

Jerry

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dexter axle mfg recommends a 1" minimum between the tires with the std leaf spring suspension.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2013, I replaced two of my E-range tires with two F-range, and in 2013 upgraded the other two (putting on one F-range and one G-range.) The spacing looks to be about an inch and a half. I have had no problem with tires after making the replacements.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I moved to oversize tires I replaced the wheels with new ones with the correct offset.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

When I moved to oversize tires I replaced the wheels with new ones with the correct offset.

Wheel offset has nothing to do with spacing between tires.
Spacing has to do with axle distance and/or diameter of tire.

2012 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> increase tire size
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS