Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram DEF guage problem

leatherhead612
Explorer
Explorer
RAM owners:
Have yall ever had your DEF level guage not work properly? I put 5 gallons in the other day, and it registered full. This am I cranked the truck and it said on the screen restricted to 5mph in 200 miles.. fill DEF. I drove the truck around the neighborhood and the level in the guage slowly rose but never went to full (maybe 1/2 tank and it took almost 10 mins to get to 1/2 full. My truck is a 2014 2500 Mega.
19 REPLIES 19

leatherhead612
Explorer
Explorer
Guage has been working fine, however check engine light indicated "low reductant". Took it dealer today, replaced the DEF pump under warranty. Claimed it would have been a $2000 repair.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
and now my new machine at work with 654 hours on it will be getting a new complete DEF tank unit installed tomorrow.
https://imgur.com/gallery/HwIYd
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
No issues with my gauge as it seems to be working as it should. It did flash a brief message at me the other day that def needed service but didn't store it in my messages. Called dealer and he said if it said 125 miles till limp mode to get it to them and he would get me right in. That was over a week ago and haven't seen anymore messages.

I went through that a couple times, usually right after filling up with DEF. Turns out a sensor was bad, replaced easily and under warranty with no issues.

Same here , two times so far, after filling got the warning, and the limp mode, both went away at about the 80 mile mark. CEL remained on . Great system, I hold my breath every time I fill the DEF.

I'm just wondering when its going to stay in limp mode, and I won't be able to reach a dealer, so far I have been lucky.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
No issues with my gauge as it seems to be working as it should. It did flash a brief message at me the other day that def needed service but didn't store it in my messages. Called dealer and he said if it said 125 miles till limp mode to get it to them and he would get me right in. That was over a week ago and haven't seen anymore messages.

I went through that a couple times, usually right after filling up with DEF. Turns out a sensor was bad, replaced easily and under warranty with no issues.

I just attributed it to the cold weather as it hasn't done it since then, gauge was at a little over 1/2 so I hadn't filled lately. I will be keeping an eye on it though.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
tinner12002 wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Learjet wrote:

That is the way it is designed...the gauge is not linear...see below

https://youtu.be/czJZuc8ThhI

That's a good explanation. Thanks for the link.

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi learjet... Thanks for the education. Jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

leatherhead612
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet
Thanks for the link

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
My gauge works but it will stay on full a long time then make a sudden drop to three fourth... When towing I need about two and a half gallons for every 750 miles. Jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine stays on full for quite a few miles then slowly drops. No issues so far.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Mine is very inaccurate, but I've never experienced anything like what you are describing. Usually mine will say full for several thousand miles, then suddenly start dropping over the next several thousand.

Mine does exactly this too.

That is the way it is designed...the gauge is not linear...see below

https://youtu.be/czJZuc8ThhI
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Mine is very inaccurate, but I've never experienced anything like what you are describing. Usually mine will say full for several thousand miles, then suddenly start dropping over the next several thousand.

Mine does exactly this too.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Not on a street vehicle but we have had a handful of the exact same problem with Cummins powered equipment. DEF reads low, fill tank, DEF reads full, alarms keep going off and engine de-rates. Changing the sensors in the tank fixes the problems, some have had reoccurred occasionally.

Our fleet mechanics first will drain the DEF and flush twice with distilled water before changing the sensor. This has fixed a couple of the machines. Must of been dirt or contamination.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler