Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Power Converter Issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Power Converter Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
MarkW.

Needville, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone...I have a 2013 Salem that had a 55a WFCO Power Converter. The lights began cycling dim/bright/dim. I replaced the stock 55a convertor with a 75a convertor in March of last year. The lights are again dimming and brightening. Could it be a converter issue, battery issue, or something else? I put a battery charger on the battery and that fixed the lighting issue...now it seems some of the fuses are blowing. the battery charger was on 6a. I moved it down to 2a to see if it gets better...any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be the battery, would be wise to get it tested but more than likely it's the converter again. Did you get another WFCO? get a better brand next time -
it doesn't cost any more.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

centerline

Salem OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the battery... it has to take a charge and hold the voltage, and act as a buffer when connected to a charger or converter that kicks in and out (over-active), but dont overlook a circuit breaker that may be kicking in and out, so that sometimes the lights are being powered from the battery, and then when the circuit breaker resets, it allows the stronger voltage from the converter into to the light circuit...

or it could be working just opposite of this, so when the lights are bright, the circuit breaker has tripped and the circuit has been disconnected from a ground fault somewhere on th eother side of the breaker... and when the circuit breaker resets, the circuit again goes to ground and dims the lights, until the breaker trips again...

somewhere in here you may fine the answer to why the other fuses are blowing..

* This post was edited 01/13/18 02:10pm by centerline *

2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since connecting the battery charger to the battery stopped the lights from surging, the battery is OK - or at least not causing the problem. There is no circuit breaker between the converter and the lights themselves.
Your converter is in its last throes of life. Suggest replacing it with a Progressive Dynamics 60A converter/charger.

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace the battery

2014 Ram Laramie, 3500, Crew Cab, Long bed, 4 x 4,Dually, Lights & Siren!

2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

handye9

Brown City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eHoefler wrote:

Replace the battery

I too, would suspect the battery.

If the battery has a shorted cell, it will start acting like a huge resistor, and drawing more power (trying to charge) than the converter can supply. As the battery gets worse, the dimming will increase to a point where there are no lights at all.

Take the battery out for a load test. Most auto parts stores will do the test, free of charge.

08 F250 Crewcab,4X4, SB
5.4, 4.10 gears
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

MarkW.

Needville, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes Scott, I replaced it with a WFCO 9875 (75a). I'm gonna price some new converters, but gonna take the battery in to be tested to be sure. Thanks everyone!!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to separate the battery and converter for testing. Post the measured voltage of each. Turn on all the lights and run the water pump when getting the converter voltage. If the battery is less than 12.6 volts put it on the charger 24 hours then disconnect 24 hours and measure voltage. s/b 12.6+ volts rested and disconnected.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

MarkW.

Needville, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, time2roll, we already had the battery out and on it's way to town. 3½ year old battery was bad. Headed home with new one. Will keep ya updated...thanks again all!!

MarkW.

Needville, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Battery is in and all seems to be working now. No more lighting issues, and the furnace stays on now. Still have a couple of fuses blowing for some reason, but I'll chase those later. Thanks everyone!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Power Converter Issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS