Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Oops! Water Heater Issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Oops! Water Heater Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After burner full heat cycle, on for several hours, no water, it is likely the WH liner will have cracked. I can look inside mine with a bright LED piston light for inspection. If there was some water in bottom, not all will drain, unless sucked out by vacuum, and add some Divine intervention, you may still be okay. However, a new WH may be in your future, as a cracked liner could not be repaired.

Jerry

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Won't help this time .. but when I winterize my rig I disconnect the wires to the water heater propane burner .. has come in handy on a few occasions when nephew/nieces start pushing buttons when exploring the RV.

Kevin

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. The Red light ONLY comes ON when it fails to light on LP
2. Most Suburban and Atwood, if lit on LP and tank is empty, the ECO and/or the Tstat WILL trip from the Tank getting extremely hot.
3. So, if the RED light was on, the heater failed to fire or it did fire but locked out for some reason.
4. The REASON is probably the ECO tripped which on a Suburban is a manual reset. Just access the rubber cover below the Pop off valve and use a pencil to push in to reset it. Doug

Lwiddis

El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora Reina Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Making sure the WH has water is an obsession with me....safety.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet. Bicyclist!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

1. The Red light ONLY comes ON when it fails to light on LP
2. Most Suburban and Atwood, if lit on LP and tank is empty, the ECO and/or the Tstat WILL trip from the Tank getting extremely hot.
3. So, if the RED light was on, the heater failed to fire or it did fire but locked out for some reason.
4. The REASON is probably the ECO tripped which on a Suburban is a manual reset. Just access the rubber cover below the Pop off valve and use a pencil to push in to reset it. Doug

ANd even though tank was empty probably NO Damage cause due to High Temp T-stat Tripping/shutting down heating AND tank had opportunity to cool down naturally

Damage usually is done when HOT-HOT tank is filled with COLD Water

Naturally cooled HOT tank........basically a ' "oh, gee, sorry about that" kind of error to make.

Now that is has cooled down and you understand what/how it happened..........fill water heater with water, check it for leaks, fire it up and recheck for leaks
(Have to 'reset' that tripped Hit Temp T-stat-----RIGHT Side Button on 'Push to Reset Cover' )

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

craig.evans

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the ideas! By crazy luck, I was able to reset from the back of the unit, red light now operates with the controls in the van. Maybe I'll get away without damage this time. I won't be pressure testing it until we get way south of this polar vortex in Ontario.
A special call-out to Doug and Old-biscuit - you guys nailed it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Oops! Water Heater Issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS