cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memorex DVD player won't open

ginagary
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Memorex DVD player Model STS71E-R in our 2007 Winnebago Journey. The DVDs tray will not open when I push the eject button. I cannot find a manual eject hole to push either.
Any suggestions on how to get it to open or what to replace it with? It has all the wires for the speakers for the surround sound plugged into the back.
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
A little late to the party, First I would put my ear to the unit to see if you can hear the motor running when you hit the eject button. If so the belt that drives the carriage is broke or stretched. that is usually the problem.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

ginagary
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up buying an inexpensive DVD player with RCA connections and plugged it into the back of the Memorex. The Memorex functions as the receiver and the new DVD player sits beside it.
Thanks for all the suggestions

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer

The car dvd units don't have 5.1 surround do they?
the dvd unit he has(the op)does not have 5.1 surround either just 4 speakers. some car dvd units do have 5.1 surround built in but they are the expensive ones. others had a add on option for 5.1 surround in a auxiliary decoder add on. they seem to be getting away from real surround units now though. but my 17 year old pioneer with real dolby digital and dts 5.1 is still going strong in my camper van.

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
most of the rv dvd surround units have wiring diagram labels right on the unit itself. you can transfer the wiring to the new units wiring plug one wire at a time comparing wiring labels its really not that hard. take your time. i do not like any of the junk rv dvd units they provide. i would much rather install a quality car dvd head unit even if a face plate has to be made to adapt it to the old hole.

The car dvd units don't have 5.1 surround do they?

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Radio/DVD player and speakers are ten years old. Everything works great except the player won't open. If we have to replace the player, how can we tell if the new unit is compatible with the speakers?

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
most of the rv dvd surround units have wiring diagram labels right on the unit itself. you can transfer the wiring to the new units wiring plug one wire at a time comparing wiring labels its really not that hard. take your time. i do not like any of the junk rv dvd units they provide. i would much rather install a quality car dvd head unit even if a face plate has to be made to adapt it to the old hole.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
BrentB wrote:
ginagary wrote:
What about all the connections in the back? There are old style speaker connections.
I don't know how to attach a picture of it.

Is this what it looks like?
photo

If you buy a new one with RCA jacks, you could use adapters like this: adapter

You could use an adapter like that if the new unit has amplifiers built in. Often a DVD player with RCA outs for audio would not have power amplifiers, but would instead be outputting a line level signal for an external amplifier. That would not work properly with speakers even with a physical connector adapter; it just isn't able to drive the low-impedance speaker.

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
ginagary wrote:
What about all the connections in the back? There are old style speaker connections.

Is this what it looks like?
photo

If you buy a new one with RCA jacks, you could use adapters like this: adapter

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Similar units are available but usually come as a packaged set with various surround speakers as well as a sort of home theater in a box.

It might be more advantageous (but also more expensive) to get a separate DVD or Blu-ray player and surround receiver. The overall quality of the amplifier/receiver part would likely be a step up, and you could easily hook up other sources.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Have to open it up and see what's what. Many times there's a motor driving a belt to a larger pulley that opens the tray. Otherwise it's a tiny motor with a worm gear on it, under the tray somewhere.

Lucky would be belt drive and you can replace the belt with a loose rubber band. Unlucky would be the worm gear is stripped out.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah that's a tough one. I don't think they make em that way anymore.

ginagary
Explorer
Explorer

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Replace with a Blu-ray player for $40 or $50.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
planned obsolesence
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)