Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Battery-free TPMS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery-free TPMS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The latest vehicles use a TPMS system without any little batteries in the sensors - it relies on the centrifugal action for energy.

Do any of the aftermarket TPMS systems for trailers use this technology yet?

I need to have my trailers tires balanced and better valve stems installed and it would be great time to have a good TPMS system added.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The advantage oem tpms have is they're inside the cavity of the tire and wheel, so they have all sorts of room for a larger module.

The after market ones have to live on the end of the valve stem.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

The advantage oem tpms have is they're inside the cavity of the tire and wheel, so they have all sorts of room for a larger module.

The after market ones have to live on the end of the valve stem.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking it would be a great time to install them while tires are being balanced. Not much more work to dismount and install sensors.
I just can't find any manufacture who has adapted the technology to trailers yet.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the external ones with the removable battery cap that take a button cell. I bet the no battery ones are expensive, probably work on the same principle as a self winding watch...

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the no-battery TPMS systems don't use an in-wheel sensor at all. Called "indirect" TPMS systems, they rely on software and the wheel speed sensors to detect a low-inflation tire. If all tires were equally low, an alert would not be detected. With such a system you can for instance freely swap summer and winter wheels. No sensors to deal with, no system re-programming, etc.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I would consider ideal would be an internal sensor that had a rechargeable battery that is charged by the centrifugal action of the tire and wheel.

Then the sensor would shut off when battery is low for times when tire and wheel are inactive for an extended time.

That way I could still check pressures each morning before I break camp.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There multiple TPMS systems. one is hard wired and uses a pipe to the hub.. I see this on trucks but can tell you nothing about it

one uses teh ABS sensors (A low tire spins faster)

The Rest use radio. I know of none that do not use batteries.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

What I would consider ideal would be an internal sensor that had a rechargeable battery that is charged by the centrifugal action of the tire and wheel.
Would this be possible? All of the generation techniques I know of require motion or a temperature differential. Maybe something could be done with a big stationary magnetic field near the tire?

If there was a device that produced power using only centrifugal force, couldn't you just put a brick on top of it to get free unlimited power?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never heard of one that uses centripetal force to power the sensor. But replacing the batteries is pretty much no big deal. I've changed probably three batteries over the last five years. They are less than a buck each, so I figure that's not bad. I do take mine off when the unit is in storage. And I don't travel as long or as often as some people either.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

There multiple TPMS systems. one is hard wired and uses a pipe to the hub.. I see this on trucks but can tell you nothing about it

Those are not a TPMS, rather they're an ATIS, an "Automatic Tire Inflation System". There's a dash mounted controller that tells an on board compressor/solenoid system when to add or remove air to maintain driver selected pressure parameters based on the current load and road conditions. Trucks used in agriculture for field loading, etc., often use lower pressures to increase the contact area in the fields to minimize soil damage and increase traction. When they leave the fields, the driver simply dials the pressure up to highway speed levels on the fly.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery-free TPMS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS