cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water hose taste

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get rid of the plastic water hose taste in the water? I am using the white hoses made for potable water. I thought they weren't supposed to affect the water taste??
32 REPLIES 32

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
full_mosey wrote:
loneryder wrote:
I'm done with this post so you can stop with the "holier than thou" comments. This forum has really deteriorated. I'm glad some of you have never tasted anything with your hoses.

You posted 01/13/2017 12:42PM . 30 minutes after that at 1:18 I asked "Did you taste the water directly from the hose, or after the water has passed through your rig?".

It would have been nice if you had replied. You would have known to get a new hose 5 days ago.

HTH;
John

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
I'm done with this post so you can stop with the "holier than thou" comments. This forum has really deteriorated. I'm glad some of you have never tasted anything with your hoses.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Hoses are fairly cheap unless you buy some super duper RV water hose. Many people replace them every year, at the beginning of the season. The hoses are thin and get permanent kinks and folds in them, and after a while, you just want to chuck the hose and start over. I keep a new one in the RV in case the one in use becomes trash.

Oddly I generally only fill at my house. Only once did I hook up to the park system in the past two years.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
loneryder wrote:
How do you get rid of the plastic water hose taste in the water? I am using the white hoses made for potable water. I thought they weren't supposed to affect the water taste??

I've never detected any taste from the white fresh water hoses I have used over the years.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
loneryder wrote:
Well I replaced the hose and problem solved. I guess these hoses need replacing every few yrs. due to sun and age.

NO they don't if you just spend the money from the beginning and buy a QUALITY hose like I mentioned earlier.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
Well I replaced the hose and problem solved. I guess these hoses need replacing every few yrs. due to sun and age.

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
Water tastes like swimming pool water. South Fl. water full of minerals. Going to get a new hose...taste free. Thanks all.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Dumb question here. Does the water from the hydrant taste ok?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plastic tasting algae, that's a new concept. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think your hose has deteriorated over the past couple years sitting in the sun, needs replacing.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
loneryder wrote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. This is city water coming thru the white hose into my MH system. It tastes like plastic hose. It doesn't involve my tank or pump. I didn't think these white hoses were supposed to impart a taste into the water. The hose is a couple years old.

Like I said, algae, you need to sanitize the hose and plumbing.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
loneryder wrote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. This is city water coming thru the white hose into my MH system. It tastes like plastic hose. It doesn't involve my tank or pump. I didn't think these white hoses were supposed to impart a taste into the water. The hose is a couple years old.

Do your self a favor visit this site rvwaterfilterstore.com. They have QUALITY hoses that will never wear out and are flexible in cold weather.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people are simply sensitive to the taste from the type of plastic potable water hoses are usually made from (vinyl).

The simple solution is to buy a hose that is labelled "taste free" like the Valterra one below. Taste-free hoses are made from a different material. There is no filter that will do anything to remove the plastic taste from a regular hose. Charcoal in filters is for removing chlorine odor/taste. Getting an NSF certified is a good idea - not sure if the Valterra is but there are other brands of taste-free hoses out there.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
Bad taste, no pun intended, I see what you did there ๐Ÿ˜‰

Well it could be on the "tasteless" side of humor also :B