Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Water hose taste
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water hose taste

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
loneryder

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do you get rid of the plastic water hose taste in the water? I am using the white hoses made for potable water. I thought they weren't supposed to affect the water taste??

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may not be the white hose that is the issue. You may need to use some bleach in your RV water tank and lines, and flush to get rid of taste. There are also a few other choices, such as fresh tab, that can be used in a similar fashion as bleach.

Jerry

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If hose is made in accordance with NSF requirements there should be no taste.
You could mis bleach with some water and fill hose. Let it set for some time, I would leave for around four hours, then flush with fresh water.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loneryder wrote:

How do you get rid of the plastic water hose taste in the water? I am using the white hoses made for potable water. I thought they weren't supposed to affect the water taste??

Did you taste the water directly from the hose, or after the water has passed through your rig?

HTH;
John

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never drink out of the RV water tank. I bring well water from home in a container and fill up some 1/2 gallon containers with it.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are probably tasting algae, how often do you sanitize your hoses and RV water system? I do it at least twice per year, more if the water starts tasting funky.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A great little trick to flush your fresh water system with simple bleach... Trying to add bleach directly to the tank is a PITA.

Assuming you have fairly new/recent - clean white freshwater hose, place one end into the water fill of your RV. The amount of beach required varies with the size of your fresh water tank but usually, about 1 cup per 20 gallons works well for maintenance purposes. Fill your tank half full then pour the bleach into the end of the hose and connect the hose to your fresh water supply and turn it on. The bleach will be delivered directly to your tank. Drive around for a few minutes allowing the water/bleach mixture to circulate and don't forget to run all of you fresh water outlets {sinks, showers etc.} which will carry the bleach water mix through all of your water lines.

Let everything sit overnight and then drain your entire fresh water system. Refill, drive around a little and drain at least once more and you should have nice clean, drinkable, dare I say tasty, fresh water on demand. For us, this is just routine, yearly maintenance but it keeps everything from coffee to cocktails {ice} tasting just fine.

This technique comes in handy if you ever take on a batch of bad water {it happens more than you might think}. To prevent this never allow water into your tank that has not passed through an external filter {they are cheap and easy to use}.

To own an RV and not be willing to drink the water is like having a coach with a bathroom you won't use or a bed you won't sleep in. You might as well google Holiday Inn and get on down the road... [emoticon]

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/13/18 03:55pm by Desert Captain *

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loneryder wrote:

Simple, don't drink out of the trailer water system.

For drinking water, buy a few 1 gallon jugs of water from the store.

We only use our trailer water system for cleaning and baths, anything food related for cooking and drinking we use store bought water.

Yes, there folks who do drink out of the trailer water system and that is fine to do so provided it has been sanitized. But for myself and family we prefer to not since no way of knowing exactly how good or bad the campground water may be and we don't care for city water taste..

Now if you really wish to drink out of the trailer water system and you have new hoses you may need to run some bleach (Clorox) through your hoses and the rest of your water system.. Once you have sanitized via bleach (Clorox) you will have to run a bunch of water through to get rid of the bleach smell and taste.

You will want to dilute the bleach since it is concentrated, read the bottle for determining how much it needs diluted..

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree it might be the hose. but...

I have an activated charcoal fliter that is lying in my wet bay. OUT of the sun. Water goes first to it then via a short hose to the inlet.

I have a PUR filter for drinking water after that.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only drink water hand bottled at a spring in Switzerland, flown in by my own aircraft fleet. No hoses or tanks to bother with.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water hose taste
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS