Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Water hose taste
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water hose taste

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Close friends son used to work at m/h place on I-5 in Oregon.

"Ya like we are going to stop the line because we're out of drinking water hose and Home depot garden dept 4 miles away".

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charcoal filters remove bad taste in water

loneryder

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry if I wasn't clear. This is city water coming thru the white hose into my MH system. It tastes like plastic hose. It doesn't involve my tank or pump. I didn't think these white hoses were supposed to impart a taste into the water. The hose is a couple years old.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They say by the time it's built to levels you can taste, it's too late.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loneryder wrote:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. This is city water coming thru the white hose into my MH system. It tastes like plastic hose. It doesn't involve my tank or pump. I didn't think these white hoses were supposed to impart a taste into the water. The hose is a couple years old.

Yeah, I know and understand.

Not sure as to why folks are taking pot shots here [emoticon]

Sanitizing is a good suggestion as a starting point, sometimes water lines in your rig can grow things that give an off taste so routine sanitizing of the water system (lines and tank) is always a good thing to do.

Your water lines inside your rig are ALSO A TYPE OF PLASTIC called PEX, so the problem could be also the water lines.

NEW OR OLD hoses WILL "leach" out some taste into the water, that cannot be helped, it is what it is.

HIGH TEMPERATURES (IE hose laying out in direct sun or in high ambient temps) can also cause plastic odor or taste to be transferred to the water.

Some folk are less sensitive to this and may not even notice the plastic taste or odor (hence the ridicule posts poking fun of the situation).

The taste and smell WILL eventually diminish but it will take some time and use and for some people that may be overly sensitive it may not reduce enough.

Keeping the hose out of direct sun and or keeping it as cool as possible may slow down the taste transfer.

RUN some water few a couple of minutes BEFORE filling a glass or pitcher or using to make coffee or tea will go along ways to flush out the water that has been sitting in the hose.

Other than that, nothing may work for you if you are hypersensitive to the plastic taste and in that case, use my suggestion of buying bottled water for drinking and cooking. Really, gallon jugs at Walmart cost at the most $1 each and surely will not break any ones bank account.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

I only drink water hand bottled at a spring in Switzerland, flown in by my own aircraft fleet. No hoses or tanks to bother with.

[emoticon]

Your post is in bad taste..

While the taste of plastic may not bother you, there are folks that may be hypersensitive to it.

I personally have well water at home, run through a prefilter then through a regen softener system since we have pretty hard water.

No Chlorine, no ozone, no fluoride like city water to taste or smell.

GOOD water HAS NO TASTE OR ODOR.

Because of that whenever we go camping where the campground may have city water we don't like to make food from or drink that water. I have never run into bottled water tasting like city water so it makes for a good substitute while camping.

loneryder

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well the hose was out in the sun quite a bit last summer. Think I'll try a new one. In previous years there wasn't any plastic taste.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad taste, no pun intended, I see what you did there [emoticon]

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loneryder wrote:

Well the hose was out in the sun quite a bit last summer. Think I'll try a new one. In previous years there wasn't any plastic taste.

Sun baked just might be the issue.

White hoses are not guaranteed for taste, but are supposed to made from all new raw materials AND of materials not known to leach potential harmful CHEMICALS..

Other hoses may or may not be made of all new raw materials and or of materials that are not up to food or drink standards.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Bad taste, no pun intended, I see what you did there [emoticon]

Well it could be on the "tasteless" side of humor also [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water hose taste
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS