cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Theft protection

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Neighbor says a trailer was stolen couple blocks away. I have cheap trailer ball lock. Would slow down thief maybe 20 seconds. Looking for better theft protection. All ideas welcome. What do you recommend?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
22 REPLIES 22

malikto
Explorer
Explorer
The_Owl wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Having been through this here is my take. Put on whatever locks and theft deterrents to slow down or stop the lazy or opportunistic thief. But if it is targeted it will be gone. So if you want it back or have a chance of finding it using a lowjack or some other GPS tracking device/service is your best bet.

Exactly. A determined thief will overcome anything, even missing wheels. I use a ball lock to stop the casual and insurance to cover the determined.

This is similar to what I do. My TT is insured. However, I have a lock on the hitch latch, I padlock my BAL X-Chocks, and I have a chain through the wheels on one side. Yes, someone can cut the hitch lock off, wiggle the X-chocks off (or cut the locks), and someone can take an angle grinder to the chain... but that is far more work than what it would take, to steal the rig next to mine.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get Insurance , let them worry about it !

The_Owl
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Having been through this here is my take. Put on whatever locks and theft deterrents to slow down or stop the lazy or opportunistic thief. But if it is targeted it will be gone. So if you want it back or have a chance of finding it using a lowjack or some other GPS tracking device/service is your best bet.

Exactly. A determined thief will overcome anything, even missing wheels. I use a ball lock to stop the casual and insurance to cover the determined.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Remove one or more tires. Hide the lug nuts.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
In reality, there is little that can be done to enhance security...At the present time, for me, having my 3 trailers parked out in the pasture in 2 feet of snow pretty well keeps people away from them.

Downside is bloody footprints could be "evidence" LOL :C

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
In reality, there is little that can be done to enhance security.
Locks, chains, or cables? Bolt cutters or a portable oxy/acetylene torch will defeat them in seconds.
Lights, cameras? A truly dedicated thief won't really care.
Wheels and lug nuts removed? New ones are readily available from 6 Robblees, Tractor Supply, Big R Ranch Supply, Walmart. etc.
A fenced storage site with a locked gate and a big watch dog? Again, the bolt cutters or the torch, and something to distract the dog. A sirloin steak, or a squirt bottle full of Parson's Household Ammonia, or bear spray.
A truly dedicated thief will find a way!
At the present time, for me, having my 3 trailers parked out in the pasture in 2 feet of snow pretty well keeps people away from them. In the summer there is very little thievery, so I don't worry about it.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't take long to jack one side up, block it & remove the wheels. They don't tow very well without wheels.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Find Me Spot GPS Tracking Solution
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Good lighting

My sister has a BRIGHT motion sensor light that moves and tracks you around, and takes a picture and saves it on a SD card. Not many people would have the nerve to do anything with that light on them.

Block it in to prevent easy removal, if possible.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
Should be covered by your homeowners policy if it is parked on your lot. I would only worry if I kept valuables in the RV that were not listed on my policy.

Simplest thing is to take a wheel off and add a locking lug nut. Of course do not leave the wheel or spare available.

I wouldn't rely on a homeowners policy, they usually only cover things basic to the house and property. there normal response is your car, boat, travel trailer, motorcycle and so on should have its own insurance.
Jay D.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
A stolen TT equipped with a hitch lock was recovered near our vacation cottage a couple of years ago with the lock still installed. The thief admitted that all he did was hook up the safety chains and haul the trailer away in broad daylight. The only damage was to the tongue jack from repeatedly hitting the truck's bumper.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

path1
Explorer
Explorer
OP here... I've been searching for some way to track stuff. Can't seem to find any service that I can track multiple stuff for decent price. Same house since mid 70's. Last couple years lost generator and junky tool box and tank of gas and other odds and ends.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
HOw about a GPS tracking device. IE a smart phone hooked to an on board charger, God for like 12 to 30 hours of tracking with the proper apps installed.

Won't stop 'em from taking it.. but might get it back for your. and as a bonus get them some free rides, and meals, and lodging. not that they will care for the lodging. (or the nutraloaf).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times