cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rte 93 in Arizona

traindriver1
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of road is Rte 93 in Arizona between I-40 and Wickenburg? I see it on the map as being a scenic drive but was wondering if it is mountain road and would it be a hard pull for a 35ft fifth wheel?
24 REPLIES 24

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Despite the silly bickering above, I'll add my opinion, as a veteran driver of it:

93 Wickenberg to Kingman will someday soon be a complete 4-lane highway. Right now the bits that are still 2-lane require the driver's full attention. Between the heavy oncoming traffic and the impatient morons coming up behind and passing wherever they feel bold, it can be hair-raising for RV drivers.

Stay safe, and pray that the last part gets done soon.

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
I think we need to agree to disagree and let it go at that.
Moose

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
ohhell10339 wrote:
Us out West wrote:

My goodness!!!

You came on here looking for opinions but obviously you don't like some others opinions....geez!!

Uh, no, what I objected to was being told that I wasn't "in my right mind" for disliking Hwy 93 and preferring an easier, though longer route. I actually didn't "come looking for opinions" on Hwy 93, as I have my own and while I'm sure that others have theirs, those don't really interest me.
But I guess you didn't catch that.

Like wise not interested in your distaste for US-93. Maybe you should just stay in Montana
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:

My goodness!!!

You came on here looking for opinions but obviously you don't like some others opinions....geez!!

Uh, no, what I objected to was being told that I wasn't "in my right mind" for disliking Hwy 93 and preferring an easier, though longer route. I actually didn't "come looking for opinions" on Hwy 93, as I have my own and while I'm sure that others have theirs, those don't really interest me.

But I guess you didn't catch that.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
ohhell10339 wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:

You go ahead a go through Flag and anyone else who doesnt want to slow down and drive the speed limit. It makes it safer for the rest of us

I'se so glad I has yore permissions! Ahuh! Ahuh!

My goodness!!!

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
ohhell10339 wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:

You got that right I would never go through Flag from where I live to get to PHX. And wow there is one town between I-40 and Wickenburg and you poor baby has to slow to 45

Yes, I does has to slows down. When I gets to Wickenburg I also does has to slows down. I takes I-17, I doesn't not have to goes through Wickenburg at all.

I is gonna be sure to be asking you for like, permissions when I done drives from Vegas to Phoenix next time and I doan wanna drive on that thar Highway 93.

Ain't it grate, tho, that we'all can each be choosing our own routeifications when we wants to goes somewheres?

Poor baby!

You go ahead a go through Flag and anyone else who doesnt want to slow down and drive the speed limit. It makes it safer for the rest of us
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
ohhell10339 wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:

You got that right I would never go through Flag from where I live to get to PHX. And wow there is one town between I-40 and Wickenburg and you poor baby has to slow to 45

Yes, I does has to slows down. When I gets to Wickenburg I also does has to slows down. I takes I-17, I doesn't not have to goes through Wickenburg at all.

I is gonna be sure to be asking you for like, permissions when I done drives from Vegas to Phoenix next time and I doan wanna drive on that thar Highway 93.

Ain't it grate, tho, that we'all can each be choosing our own routeifications when we wants to goes somewheres?

Poor baby!

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:

Poor baby!

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Viewing 93 as scenic requires an appreciation for the desert. For me, it is scenic. Okay, maybe not as scenic as some, but sure as heck not as boring as others. About two hours north of Wickenburg, you cross Burro Creek on an historic bridge. Just south of the bridge is an access road that takes you to a cheap BLM campground with excellent view of the bridge and the surrounding desert. The creek even has water in it most of the time.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
mt1729 wrote:
ohhell10339 wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
No one in their right mind would go through Flag and add two hours to your trip. I travel that road several times a year and a couple times towing a 33' 5er, yes it is not very exiting but neither are a lot of other roads. Pay attention to the speed limit and you wont get a speeding ticket

Ahhh, so I'm not in my right mind, because I've done something that you would never do.

If you think you won't get a speeding ticket just because you aren't speeding, you're not very familiar with the Arizona Highway Patrol. What's more, on long stretches of 93, the limit's only 55. There's also the delightful speed trap feature of the limit being dropped to 45 or lower when you enter the town limits, which are 4-5 miles outside any sign of civilization.

Actually, going via Flagstaff adds less time than that, because you can average 70 on the interstates very easily but you can't average more than about 50 (or less) on 93, because of the towns it goes through.

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
ohhell10339 wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
No one in their right mind would go through Flag and add two hours to your trip. I travel that road several times a year and a couple times towing a 33' 5er, yes it is not very exiting but neither are a lot of other roads. Pay attention to the speed limit and you wont get a speeding ticket

Ahhh, so I'm not in my right mind, because I've done something that you would never do.

If you think you won't get a speeding ticket just because you aren't speeding, you're not very familiar with the Arizona Highway Patrol. What's more, on long stretches of 93, the limit's only 55. There's also the delightful speed trap feature of the limit being dropped to 45 or lower when you enter the town limits, which are 4-5 miles outside any sign of civilization.

Actually, going via Flagstaff adds less time than that, because you can average 70 on the interstates very easily but you can't average more than about 50 (or less) on 93, because of the towns it goes through.
Moose

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
ohhell10339 wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:

Moose

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
ohhell10339 wrote:
mt1729 wrote:
Don't pay too much attention to that ohell person. 93 is a great drive. I enjoyed it thoroughly. So enjoy!!

Gee, the people on these forums sure seem to enjoy the personal attacks!

I've driven 93 between Phoenix and Vegas at least fifty times, and I stand by my assessment that its only two salient features are boredom and speeding tickets. I've sometimes swung all the way over to Flagstaff, even though doing so adds two hours to the trip, just to avoid driving 93 yet again.