cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Book of Travel

Sqdancecaller
Explorer
Explorer
Something I did before our first winter as snowbirds was to make what I call my Big Book of Travel. I used the computer searching for various places we might need along the way. I made complete lists by state that were on our route south. My lists were, WalMarts, Truck stops, Cracker Barrels, Misc. resturants, rest areas, sites we might like to see, and my favorite, Wineries. I put it all in a big binder, dividers by state with tabs for each list. The lists were in alphabetical order by city making it easy to find. I co-pilot the motor home and keep the book handy. If we need to find a certain fuel stop all I do is go to the book. I know it could all be done on todays cell phones but it sometimes is quicker for me to look at the book than try to type in all the info. It did take be awhile to put it all together but worked on it a little at a time so when we were ready to hit the road it was done. I have updated pages a few times, even written in some places we have found along the way. You can make it as detailed as you like. Just something I did.
2013 Thor Chateau 32 ft.
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use Goole Maps, a comple of RV specific apps. My Pilot, Wal-Mart, And Murphy's.

The result... THey always point me to the nearest one based on my GPS reading.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sunbug
Explorer
Explorer
I have kept a Journal of our travels for the last 12 years, including the campground cost. It is helpful because the years seem to blur as time passes. Also it brings back enjoyable memories when I look back through the pages. You can be as detailed as you wish, and sometimes I wish I had included more information.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes handy and only limited by your imagination. We keep most info on lap top now. But also use tags in GPS. Being stuck at home last couple yrs I've started collecting stuff that interest us that are not tourist trap type.
Also have binder on rv which has come in handy couple times.

I wish we would of kept a diary of our travels.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I'll admit, I'm old, but not that old school. My GPS will do that and more in about 4 clicks and 15 seconds. But that's just how I do it, YOMV.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We did something like this 20 years ago and kept it going for quite a while. We included campgrounds we visited along with maps of the campgrounds, and always had a list of best sites. We'd always take a tour through the campground and notate desirable campsites for future reference.

The problem arose when the folder got bigger than the front seat of the truck!

With the invention of the cell phone and Google Maps, and internet searches, and various apps like KOA campground, WallMart, etc, well... actually ... about 3 months ago we threw all that paper away! Quit using it more than 10 years ago.