cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

big rig campground at sleeping bear dunes, pictured rocks

buckeye_nut
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip in mid Aug to Sleeping Bear Dunes, Mackinac Island and Pictured Rocks. We have a 35ft fifth wheel with 3 deep slides and a crew cab with long bed truck. We usually need a 40ft pad with out trees close to pad and have to park the truck at an angle to fit. We like state parks the best. Is there any parks around these areas that we will fit on. We would only need electric. If anyone has certain site numbers that are bigger that would be a great help.
26 REPLIES 26

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
You will have no problems at all with your size of rig at Sleeping Bear Platte River CG. Plenty of site width too for both side slideouts. Lots of rigs towing 40'and over trailers camp there. We go there every year once or more for about 3 decades now.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Michigan State Park web site:

https://www.midnrreservations.com/FAQ.aspx
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

buckeye_nut
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. After much research, I think we will fill the rest of our time at the Straits SP and visit that area before heading to Pictured Rock. Can anyone tell me what time of day Michigan's State Park 6 month reservation window opens. Hopefully we will be able to get a site there.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Indigo while visiting Sleeping Bear. Very nice, big rig friendly campground.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
I have thoroughly enjoyed going to Mackinac Island. Been there twice and would never hesitate to go back again. But if I could only choose between Sleeping Bear Dunes and Mackinac Island - Sleeping Bear Dunes hands down. Beautiful hiking, biking for miles, canoeing, etc., So much to see so little time. Just wonderful. I would recommend Platte River Campground if you can get in; that is my kind of camping.

rhadley53
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Sleeping Bear last summer. We made our base camp in Traverse City at the Grand Traverse RV Resort. Its on M72 east side of TC. You can also visit the wineries and other sites in the area.
Rick 08 Seneca 36MS
15 Jeep Grand Cherokee dingy

avan
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
If you really want to go to Mackinac Island could you plan one of your nights there?
I assume you are asking if you could use Sleeping Bear as a base camp and do Mac Island as a day trip. Mac Island, even for visitors who have been there multiple times, is worth a full day. And for the full impact, many would even say that you need to stay overnight in one of the hotels so you experience the quieter island - hearing only hooves and muted talk while you have your cocktails.

You can google the ferry lines for actual sailing times (Shepler or Arnold Ferry) but I'm guessing the earliest passenger ferry to the island is probably around either 6 or 7 am and the latest ferry back to the mainland is probably 9 pm or so.

The drive from Sleeping Bear is not the easiest in the world, with little freeway, and the trip between Sleeping Bear campground and the Mac City ferry dock will take you about 3 hours. 6 hours of driving round trip, plus ferry transit time, does not at least for me leave enough time on the island for more than getting there, buying a piece of fudge and then leaving again ๐Ÿ™‚

Wilderness SP might be a better base if you are looking for State or National Park spots or you could cross the Mighty Mac to the UP and stay at the Straits SP and cross over to Mac Island from the ferry docks at St. Ignace.

Last summer, I stayed a Loons CG (comm'l) in the Les Cheneaux area of the UP. Waterfront site and a nice quite area. Great maritime museum and also a great tour of a boat building school (one of only two in the country) where you can observe the students in their 3 yr course as they progress in building wooden boats by hand. Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship. Also once a year there is a major draw - the Wooden Boat Festival. The drive from that area to the St. Ignace Ferry is easy and a bit less than an hour. A couple of the early morning ferries from St Ignace to Mac Island add a 15 minute "detour" and go to and under the Mac. Bridge for some interesting photography.
www.putt10.net

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
For nice biking, hiking and nature go to Sleeping Bear.

https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/sbht.htm

If you really want to go to Mackinac Island could you plan one of your nights there?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
For nice biking, hiking and nature go to Sleeping Bear.

https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/sbht.htm
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

buckeye_nut
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. We have decided since we only have 4 days left to fill we need to chose either Mackinaw Island area or Sleeping Bear Dunes. We have been to both areas but only for a day or less and didn't get to see much (absolutely loved both). We want to hike, bike and see nature. What areas and points of interest would best suit us before heading to Pictured Rocks area? We would like to stay at Platte River but afraid we don't have a chance of getting in there Aug 22-25.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are parks by Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore - a gorgeous area - plan on at least a week:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/michigan/empire
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Mackinaw Mill Creek CG has what you want.

Beware of Mill Creek. Their lake view sites are packed close together and tiny, with little room for slides or awnings. No fire rings, firepits are a pie pan they issue you at the office. When we stayed there the place was packed, with golf carts and kids on bikes, and dusty unpaved roads. We stayed there once long ago, and won't be going back.

YMMV, many people love the place. Has a pool, game room, etc. Some sites have a nice view of the bridge. But if you like state parks, you will probably not care for Mill Creek.

Wilderness SP west of Mackinac City is far superior, IMHO, with lakefront sites, 18 miles of secluded shoreline, and 10,000 acres of woods and trails.

Bully...

It's been improved since those days. They have added big rig sites in a far quieter area.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

buckeye_nut
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Pirate for the info. Did you share an electric post and will we need to take an extension cord also or will our electric cord on the camper reach?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Munising is really nice and the views are beautiful, especially the sunset!

Mackinaw Mill Creek campground is also very nice. Again great views of the bridge and the island.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!