cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much longer will we get to enjoy camping with our son?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Our son is 11 1/2...got into the TT thing when he was four...did it based on my memories of how much we enjoyed our family's Shasta trailer (remember those???) when I was growing up...

It's been tremendous...we've been all around Texas and into Oklahoma...two dozen state parks, with repeat trips to most...and RV resorts...and county parks...and commercial operations...and 'other govt agency' parks....we go somewhere maybe 6-10 times a year...used to hear, 'Daddy, when are we going to the trailer again???'

He's now 11 1/2...and, in most ways, still a little boy...but, for how much longer?

In the experience of those who've RV'ed as their children came up, at what age did the child lose interest/think it's not 'cool' any more to go camping with the parents/get too busy to go camping? And, any ideas on how to keep him interested? I know every situation is different...just trying to hear from others re. general experiences and ideas
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
31 REPLIES 31

tll
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter will be 17 this spring, and still enjoys camping. I will admit our camping ways have changed. Instead of always going to a state park with no hookups or just electricity, we have found ourselves going to more private campgrounds with activities. Having a pool to swim in and other activities is now more important. We also allow her to bring a friend if she wishes. Another thing is to plan activities and day trips away from the campground to see things of interest. Our first camping trip this year is a father-daughter trip to go ride our bikes in a day long bicycle tour. Great fun for both of us, and we have done this for the last 5 years. She is looking forward to the trip. Staying at a electricity only state park.

When at the campground I try to always do what she wants to do to keep busy. It is amazing how you can spend a day just riding bikes, swimming, playing bean bag toss, croquet, baseball, etc... Sometimes I just want to sit and do nothing, but I know it is important to her so I suck it up and participate. My wife-not so much. I think part of the excitement is doing so many things you generally wouldn't gather up the energy to do at home. Keeps us older ones active and feeling young!
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:

Camping together has shaped us differently than families we know that don't camp. I believe for the better. We enjoy time over things and our boys feel the same. I hope that has established what our future will look like. They will grow up, but having a solid, shared experience like we have had is important and I believe will sustain.

Exactly!!

Our youngest daughter is a teacher, and as a child and beautiful adult many always say what a pleasure to be around, polite, caring, helpful, respectful etc. (Proud mama here!). Her dad and I cringe with the stories she tells us over sit down suppers of her days, and even how her similar aged friends communicate (or don't!) with their parents. Its atrocious what the future generations will be at this rate.

She and the other teachers have a constant battle on the limitations they are allowed to try and teach respect etc as well to try to get the parents more involved with their children. They did surveys and on average parents only communicate anything of value with their children 2 mins per day. Yep, TWO MINS per day! Even on the drive into/home from school majority don't converse with their children citing "their fine on their iPads/Iphone etc". Sheesh.

You should be a very proud parent, and as much as they might whine at times today, guess what they'll be speaking of in future years with fond memories. One of our daughters (trouble during the teens!) friends aged 27 now, still thanks us for showing her what "real family is about", and taking her on so many camping/vacation trips which she treasures to this day.

Don't stop being the best parent you can be no matter how old they become, we're sadly becoming a rarity.

The family that pulls together and plays together, stays together 🙂

Exactly! I'm a school teacher, also. I changed careers at age 42. It changed my entire perspective on our culture.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:

Camping together has shaped us differently than families we know that don't camp. I believe for the better. We enjoy time over things and our boys feel the same. I hope that has established what our future will look like. They will grow up, but having a solid, shared experience like we have had is important and I believe will sustain.

Exactly!!

Our youngest daughter is a teacher, and as a child and beautiful adult many always say what a pleasure to be around, polite, caring, helpful, respectful etc. (Proud mama here!). Her dad and I cringe with the stories she tells us over sit down suppers of her days, and even how her similar aged friends communicate (or don't!) with their parents. Its atrocious what the future generations will be at this rate.

She and the other teachers have a constant battle on the limitations they are allowed to try and teach respect etc as well to try to get the parents more involved with their children. They did surveys and on average parents only communicate anything of value with their children 2 mins per day. Yep, TWO MINS per day! Even on the drive into/home from school majority don't converse with their children citing "their fine on their iPads/Iphone etc". Sheesh.

You should be a very proud parent, and as much as they might whine at times today, guess what they'll be speaking of in future years with fond memories. One of our daughters (trouble during the teens!) friends aged 27 now, still thanks us for showing her what "real family is about", and taking her on so many camping/vacation trips which she treasures to this day.

Don't stop being the best parent you can be no matter how old they become, we're sadly becoming a rarity.

The family that pulls together and plays together, stays together 🙂
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Our kids are 9 and 13 and they enjoy camping, but sometimes want to stay home for other activities. Because of this, I've done several solo trips, which I actually enjoy quite a bit, lovin' the peace and quiet! Still, I'm the traveling spark plug and tell them all the time, my plan is to drag them to as many sights and adventures as possible while still on this side of the earth's surface. Hopefully they cherish the memories.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
As a father of two 13 year old boys, I'm pleased to read these responses. Usually, opinions swing the other way, but it seems most of you guys have enjoyed many happy years of camping together.

Most of the time, our boys talk about hiking like it is undesirable. However, just yesterday, one boy came home with his art portfolio from school and we were surprised to see images of hiking and camping for his "favorite things" project. Mom and Dad for the score!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

remus
Explorer
Explorer
We have two sons, the older (42 years old) has never missed a summer trip since birth. Of course we have added his wife and 3 grandkids as the years passed. They plan next year's trip while on the current one. Our younger son also traveled with us through college and then work curtailed his extended vacations. Older son, his wife, and before retirement my wife and I are/were teachers with summers off. 49 states, all Canadian provinces, and a good chunk of Mexico has provided us with amazing memories and a great education for everyone. Advice from an old man to young families: "Spend every minute you can with your kids. They grow up before you know what happened"

kazmir
Explorer
Explorer
My 13 yr old son is not as interested in camping lately, but still comes with us on all our trips. We allow him to bring a friend most trips and also, we allow him to play his ipad 1 hour a day to keep him sane(and us too!). We go on a lot of weekend trips within 2.5 hours so its easier for his friends. My now 17 yr old daughter loves to camp still and will amend her work schedule to get a weekend off to join us. She will invite a friend or two and drive separately so they can do day trips. We bring tents to have more room and plan to be near a beach or lake for water sports. I know eventually we will down size to a smaller RV for just hubby and me which is fine, there are always a spot for tents at our favorite sites!
2005 Minnie 24V
Family of Four with lots of toys!:B

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
We've camped with ours since they were in diapers it slowed down in high school one got into tennis the other softball,but still went when time allowed .Now their out of college they plan their vacation around when and where were going camping,My youngest daughter and I still go on several fishing weekend's tent camping during the summer.So I think if they like it they never really stop.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great question, and really appreciate all the info. We have three that are 9-12, and I'm hoping for five more years. They hate traveling... Until the trip starts, lol. Wish us luck!
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Both our ours went with us right up until college. They probably would have went longer but job changes and working out of town resulted in time off spent at home rather than camping and the camper was out of town as I used that to live in temporarily until we got relocated back to where we are now. Now that we live on the coast on the waterfront they spend as much time as possible with us when they are off from work. We are still a very close family.
The last year or so they would take turns bringing a friend along, and we also had a tent and they chose to stay in that at night.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
We started backpacking without adults at age 13. We did our own trips. I left home at 18 and drove across the country in a 1957 Chevy to go surfing in California.

Kids grow up slower now. You may be able to keep his interest by scheduling some activities like rafting. Let him bring a friend along. Every kid is different but most start to want to be independent sometime as teenagers.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't look at the hourglass. Don't look at the hourglass.

Just enjoy it as long as he does. And don't force him if he doesn't.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree around the age of 15 ! Then it’s about “where” you will be camping for their interest !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Our girls are 13 and 10, but our son is grown and gone. He camped with us up until he left for college, but would come back for weekend trips here and there. Our girls started camping at 3 months and so far, they like to help plan all of our trips. If it seems there will be nothing for them to do, they will take a friend with them to add some fun. It's always enjoyable for the girls to take novice campers with them. They get to teach them lots of things, like how to make s'mores, build a good fire, identify constellations, etc.

We try to find campgrounds/resorts that have things for for them to do and we also have a couple of tandem kayaks that we use if there is water around.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW