Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How much longer will we get to enjoy camping with our son?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> How much longer will we get to enjoy camping with our son?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
trailernovice

Mission TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our son is 11 1/2...got into the TT thing when he was four...did it based on my memories of how much we enjoyed our family's Shasta trailer (remember those???) when I was growing up...

It's been tremendous...we've been all around Texas and into Oklahoma...two dozen state parks, with repeat trips to most...and RV resorts...and county parks...and commercial operations...and 'other govt agency' parks....we go somewhere maybe 6-10 times a year...used to hear, 'Daddy, when are we going to the trailer again???'

He's now 11 1/2...and, in most ways, still a little boy...but, for how much longer?

In the experience of those who've RV'ed as their children came up, at what age did the child lose interest/think it's not 'cool' any more to go camping with the parents/get too busy to go camping? And, any ideas on how to keep him interested? I know every situation is different...just trying to hear from others re. general experiences and ideas

Glenn and Toni
2016 Crossroads Z1 252BH
2016 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

stew47

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/18 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This fall was our first taste of too busy to camp. Our older boy is 13 and in 8th grade. He got into marching band and we didn’t camp from mid August to November. Not cool. Now we did go to Florida in August and we went out in nov for a few days. We plan on a spring break trip and few trip a this summer but times are changing. Not really sure how much longer we have camping.

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year, my grandson 17 yrs old spent 8 days camping with me. The 19 yr old, just did a couple of day trips to the campground, but he had work and camping, elsewhere with friends.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/18 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camped when I was a kid but once I became a teenager I became more tuned into girls, friends, sports, etc. and didn't want to go on any more trips.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/18 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When they got their drivers license they no longer cared to camping with us. But now that they are parents themselves, they want their kids to go with us. Imagine that!

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/18 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When our oldest hit High School we camped and ATV'd a lot but I knew the days were numbered. By the time they were both in high school we sold the ATVs and bought a boat. Camping changed to us following both boys Marching Band in the fall and then Drum Corps in the summer. One is now out of College and other in college, we still camp a couple times a year and they both enjoy the break from everything. But now my wife and I take trips just the two of us, and we still follow the Drum Corps. It may not always be camping by a stream but we get out and enjoy our RV still. This past Thanksgiving we asked the boys if they wanted to camp, both of them were eager to go. [emoticon]

My recommendation is don't force it as they get older, go with the flow. Invite their friends along and make sure they get something out of it too. They will come back.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2007 Four Winns Horizon 190
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

rv2go

Fulltime 15 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our daughter went camping with us till she started college.(Later years she brought along a friend or two) After college and marriage, she and her husband went camping with us for a few years. They then bought their own camper. For several more years we went camping together along with the grandchildren.

We have had the pleasure of camping with our daughter in 48 states. Missing Hawaii and Michigan.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/18 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time commitments are a big challenge, but if the parents are flexible, the family can still enjoy camping together. As others said, take the RV to kids activities, and accomodate their schedules for family trips. Be willing to do some fall or winter or early spring trips. Be flexible and encourage them to bring friends. Then kind of get out of the way and let them socialize with friends. If the RV is too small, take a tent for the older teens.

I was never able to RV with my children but hope to be able to have some good years with my grandchildren. The above recommendations are what I have seen other families do that work out well.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 12:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our youngest daughter 27, still enjoys coming with us camping/glamping/rving any chance she gets (work permitting). We're very close knit and have interest in everything from scuba/rafting/kayaking/biking, through to hiking and for her snowboarding.

We don't let seasons stop us totally from enjoying getting out in the RV even when it's winterized for 7 months LOL.

It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 12:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being 54 years old now, times were different when I was a kid, but I basically stopped camping with the folks once I had to get a job to support my car, car insurance, social life and then my life as a whole once I moved out and went to college.. Which I paid for myself.. "No free ride in my house!"

But, we did get back to camping together some 20 or so years later once I got my own RV and those have been great times too.

Once I had to get a job, that pretty much ended the usual trips I could take with them.. Oh, the folks still went camping.. I just had to stay home and go to work.. Which, wasn't all that bad either..[emoticon] As a teen, alone at home... Ahh.. The good times! ha, ha.. Then I moved out at around 19 years old and then life got real..

Good luck and enjoy it while you can! Kids seem to grow up a lot faster these days, so enjoy while you can.. But, there are always new times to share as they grow up too, so it's all an adventure as time goes on..

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> How much longer will we get to enjoy camping with our son?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS