Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How much longer will we get to enjoy camping with our son?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> How much longer will we get to enjoy camping with our son?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 01:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somewhere around the teenage years. If they get a job, that often conflicts.

Make sure it stay's fun. That may mean bringing a friend or two along and making sure the destinations and activities are of interest to a teenager.

Another consideration are you the type of parent to keep the kid in 6 organized activities at any one time? Being involved in organized activities is good in moderation but I see lots of families overdue it until it becomes their entire life and everything else gets set aside.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

jerseyjim

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/18 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When they hit puberty, you get dumber and dumber. Then around 19-20 you start getting smart again.

Our 3 sons "left" our camping experience when they were around 16. Old enough to be without us for weekends, for instance. However, if we were going to, say, a NASCAR race, they wanted to come. Luckily, there were no problems leaving then home for...weekends.

So now....on their own with their own families, one son has his own TT. Another likes cabins. The third...his idea of camping is turning off the a/c at the Holiday Inn.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerseyjim wrote:

When they hit puberty, you get dumber and dumber. Then around 19-20 you start getting smart again.

Amen....

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughter is 16, and for her 16th birthday she wanted us to take her and some friends camping. She has also asked for a repeat for her 17th birthday.

My son is 14, and still enjoys it, but not as much as my daughter. I think some of it just depends on their personality.

We also use the camper for going to lacrosse tournaments.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

winger999

Big Rapids

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My "kids" (they are now 30,28, and 23) never tired of camping. Of course there were the typical teenager issues, but they never told us they didn't want to go. In fact, they still go with us when they can to our favorite campground.

What I think helped was getting them their own tents. Not very big, but big enough to get away from the pesky parents. They would sleep in their own tents and come in the camper if the weather was too cold or wet.

Don't give up hope! My now grown kids camp with their families.

* This post was edited 01/16/18 11:20am by winger999 *

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never stopped. I camped with my family up until I bought my own camper and now I continue to camp (still try to go to family camps as well).We are going this june with a large number of extended family memebers current numbers around 30 expect to hit 40. slowed down a bit in college and when I started working because vacation was limited but never stopped. don't plan to. My daughter cried when I put the camper away for winter and we play campfire at home regularly.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/18 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

When our oldest hit High School we camped and ATV'd a lot but I knew the days were numbered. By the time they were both in high school we sold the ATVs and bought a boat. Camping changed to us following both boys Marching Band in the fall and then Drum Corps in the summer. One is now out of College and other in college, we still camp a couple times a year and they both enjoy the break from everything. But now my wife and I take trips just the two of us, and we still follow the Drum Corps. It may not always be camping by a stream but we get out and enjoy our RV still. This past Thanksgiving we asked the boys if they wanted to camp, both of them were eager to go. [emoticon]

My recommendation is don't force it as they get older, go with the flow. Invite their friends along and make sure they get something out of it too. They will come back.
Happy to see Drum Corps mentioned here. As a teen it was a major part of my life: Velvet Knights and Anaheim Kingsmen (and alumni corp in 2007). When I made my above post I completely spaced out the Drum Corps life, which was all consuming during those teen years. There was no time to camp. Actually we kind of were camping - in high school gyms while on tour across the country.

Today we look for excuses to camp. We've been known to steal our granddaughters away from their parents and take them camping.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/18 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As with many (most, it seems) others, when the kids hit high school / 16 years old other things as part of normal growing up interfere.

Our daughter got a little tired of camping probably when she was around 14. Son still wants to camp with us at 23 years old, but it is hard to schedule.

When our kids were younger (pre-teen), we went to a lot of resort campgrounds with pools and activities, and also campgrounds near touristy areas. As they got older, we more and more started going to limited hook up or no hook up campgrounds and did a lot of hiking and bicycling. Seemed to work well with the kids.

That has been our experience!

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/18 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our girls are 13 and 10, but our son is grown and gone. He camped with us up until he left for college, but would come back for weekend trips here and there. Our girls started camping at 3 months and so far, they like to help plan all of our trips. If it seems there will be nothing for them to do, they will take a friend with them to add some fun. It's always enjoyable for the girls to take novice campers with them. They get to teach them lots of things, like how to make s'mores, build a good fire, identify constellations, etc.

We try to find campgrounds/resorts that have things for for them to do and we also have a couple of tandem kayaks that we use if there is water around.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Steeljag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/18 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would agree around the age of 15 ! Then it’s about “where” you will be camping for their interest !

2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> How much longer will we get to enjoy camping with our son?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS